Just realized what I'm doing to myself...

Options
Today, after a "normal" day of eating (for me), I decided for the fun of it to see how many calories I was eating. I've never paid much attention to calories before and after today I have a completely different mindset. I won't get into the details.. but basically I have been regularly eating 3 to 5 times what I should be eating, according to myfitnesspal.

I want to make a change in my life because my health is suffering and nothing is going to get better without me making an effort.

I am serious about this, so please do not hold my food diary entry for today against me!
Now that I know better, I intend to do better.

It would be nice to have some friends on here with similar goals! I want to lose about 60 pounds. Add me! :)

Replies

• andreaisme
    andreaisme Posts: 43
    Options
    You can do it!!
  • cyn4him
    cyn4him Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step and making that decision!! I would b happy to be friends :-)
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Good on you, first step check!
  • maciec
    maciec Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I have a good friend that signed on to MFP recently because of the same thing. She was floored when she looked at the calories and her salt intake. Do you have a plan yet other than watching your calories?
  • starrybay
    starrybay Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! :) I really appreciate it!
  • mom22kidsaz
    mom22kidsaz Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I also just joined and would love to stay on track with someone who just started. I'm highly motivated and want to be held accountable to what I'm doing/eating. :wink:

We can do it!
  • starrybay
    starrybay Posts: 15
    Options
    My plan is to stick to around 1,200 calories a day and exercise at least a couple times a week for 30 minutes. I've never really "worked out" before, just the occasional trip to the gym with a friend, so I'm going to start small and work my way up to more intense activities.
    I think just walking is a good start for me right now! :) One step at a time, right?
  • sthomasx7
    sthomasx7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I find that I fail to "log" in my diary on purpose when I know I have overdone it. My goal for next few weeks is to log it anyway. Like today, I thought I had way overdone it but it really wasn't too bad since I also went for walk. There should be a palce on the diary to just plug in "pigged out today" of "Faturday".

Good luck.
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Sometimes MFP is a real eye opener for what we've been unknowingly doing to ourselves. But, now you know, and now you can move towards a healthier you!!

when I joined MFP in late February of this year, I had 82lbs to lose... Now I'm 49lbs away from my goal :) The more support we all have the better :)
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My plan is to stick to around 1,200 calories a day and exercise at least a couple times a week for 30 minutes. I've never really "worked out" before, just the occasional trip to the gym with a friend, so I'm going to start small and work my way up to more intense activities.
    I think just walking is a good start for me right now! :) One step at a time, right?

YES! def one step at a time! Starting w walking is a great idea and then work your way up :)
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    That was sure a real eye opener for me too. Good luck and add me if you need friends :)
  • klynn639
    klynn639 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have taken the first step Congratulations you have to start somewhere. Good Luck, I am new on here too. :flowerforyou:
  • tyetria
    tyetria Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No one will hold you diary against you. It's for you and a track for you to start paying attention to the food your putting in your body. Hell, I'm still adding fast food entries. But MFP tools help so much and will really make you think twice abt your choices when you see them in front of you. When you know better you tend to do better. MFP members are a great support group :happy:
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the decision. One word of warning though. IMO (and just IMO) 1200 is pretty low. You may start on that and end up falling off the wagon badly because it's hard to stick to. I'm sure that even eating at about 1500 or 1600 you will still lose weight.

Good luck.
  • SWiel84
    SWiel84 Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi StarryBay!
    My longterm goal is 60 lbs.... I'd love to be friends, as we're shooting for the same goal! I just started myself and I'm already down 5. Like you said, now that you know better, you're already on the right track to doing better :-) Good luck! Please contact me if you ever want to talk!
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options

You should go under tools and check your bmr calculator , 1200 may be starving yourself, I went from 1800 cals to 1500 cals within about 7 weeks of losing weight and found myself undereating and slowing my metabolism, now I am back up to 1700-1800 cals a day maybe you should check yours ;-)
  • beautifulbrat
    beautifulbrat Posts: 171
    Options
    it is amazing how fast the calories add up. but congrats on taking that first step. i sent you a friend request
  • rcapon
    rcapon Posts: 1
    Options
    Realized what I was doing to myself too!

I added sugar to my counter... was astonished that although I ate a reasonably sensible diet in terms of calories, fat etc... I was consuming 3 times the amount of sugar I should be each day. My one latte in the morning (no added sugar) consumes 1/2 the allowance... Black coffee it is! :)

Good luck
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Welcome and wish you the best of luck. I'll offer some advice for what it is worth, but I know everyone has what works for them.

I used to weigh 290lbs at one point, down to 206...my experience has been setting a 1200 calorie goal is hard to do and really restricts what you are able to eat. It makes the process painful and you definitely feel like you are dieting.

Just my opinion, but you may want to consider something slightly higher, around 1600 a day. Still gives you room to eat relatively normally (portion control is everything) and still hit your goals. Makes it more about lifestyle change and good food/portion choices and is much easier to maintain over time.
  • JuliaGulia316
    Options
    I just signed up and have the same exact plan as you! I'd like to add you as a friend, I bet that the motivation on both ends will help.