What about alcohol?

Options
For me alcohol consumption = no weight loss. Is that other people's experience. I've made the commitment to NO booze for a week to see what happens. I enjoy a drink or two after work, but I think it's really holding me back. Thoughts?

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I was getting into the habit of having a few drinks about 3-4 days a week after work, but they are really unused calories, right now I cut it to having some drinks just once a week and only once a week (my cheat day) and I have not had a problem losing weight, hope that helps a lil
  • dkmcarolina
    Options
    Thanks. I was thinking about the one day a week thing, eventually. I got to break the habit first. Just herbal tea tonight.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    yeah really just cutting back on anything unhealthy will help you lose weight, we all need to have a lil fun, good luck
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. I lost 60 pounds, still had one beer, or mixed drink, or glass of wine, pretty much every night.

Responsible alcohol consumption is actually turning out to be good for you, the key being responsible. Alcohol is actually technically a macronutrient. If you're at a calorie deficit, then drinking won't impact weight loss. If it causes you to overeat, or if you drink to a point of eliminating your calorie deficit, that's a different story. Not too difficult either, as 2 real beers can easily chew up 400 calories if you aren't paying attention (which is why I stick to one.) :drinker:

As for why it's good for you, it turns out that there have been some interesting studies that show alcohol consumption can improve both insulin sensitivity and cholesterol.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Same as wgpjim, i was also in the habit of having a couple of beers almost every night after work. You will see a difference in weight depending on how much you drink already. Might as well try it! I even only drink on weekends now, and even though i have been eating clean and weight training & cardio 5 times a week for at least an hour (it'll be my 3rd mnth doing this), i literally did not lose a single pound. I truly feel that it was because of drinking on the weekends. I see a slight difference , but definitely not on the scale. A week might not be enough to see a drastic difference though. Good luck!!!!
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    i dont drink often, maybe 1-3 times heavily for "celebrations" per month and it has not hindered my progress at all. Anything in moderation is okay... for me anyways!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i'd rather have 7 on saturday than one a day!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    For me alcohol consumption = no weight loss. Is that other people's experience. I've made the commitment to NO booze for a week to see what happens. I enjoy a drink or two after work, but I think it's really holding me back. Thoughts?

I would think you would try a month. only a week might be too short. booze is empty calories. if you want to make the trade off...its up to you but for me, when I want to lose/cut...I cut out the booze. now if they make a protein based beer, I would reconsider.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    One or two are probably not stopping you from losing weight, but having a whole lot at once isn't good for your body (much worse to have one binge a week than a single drink a day). It's also not good for your judgement - eating a whole pizza or three kebabs seems like a remarkably good idea after two many tequilas!
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If I stick to my calorie and exercise goals I loose weight. I know its empty carbs and is not helping me build muscle, but still manage to loose. If I get hammered all that tracking goes out the window so I try to keep it to a few once or twice a week.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Ya, I bet it will help you to cut it out.

The problem with alcohol is that one drink leads to another, leads to another, leads to a plate of nachos, basket of wings, and a half gallon of ice cream when you get home.
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    I had a margarita about a week ago with a lot of ice i made it my self and it didn't do anything to my weight loss and also i had a corona this past saturday because i was out of light beer but i enjoy occasionally some alcohol once in a while yet i drink lots of water after i drink them :)
  • MargotAllen
    MargotAllen Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm drinking beer right now! :D
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options

The problem with alcohol is that one drink leads to another, leads to another, leads to a plate of nachos, basket of wings, and a half gallon of ice cream when you get home.
    Well said!
  • jaqqii
    jaqqii Posts: 11
    Options

Well said!

I don't think it's the alcohol that's the issue, it's all the snacking that goes along with it, then the hangover carbs the next day to feel better. A whole weeks worth of work gone to waste on one night boozing!!! This is my downfall every week!
  • jaqqii
    jaqqii Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm drinking beer right now! :D

haha! I hope you are in a different time zone from me as this was posted 7.58am my time!
  • christinakeaton
    christinakeaton Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what you drink and how much of it you drink. The miller chill beers only have 100 calories per 12 fluid oz. That's pretty good! So you can have a couple beers and not feel guilty about it :)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    i'd rather have 7 on saturday than one a day!

Me too. I drink every weekend but for me, I worry more about weekly totals then daily. Pounds are lost in weeks not days. I still want to enjoy myself during this weight loss journey.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have read that it promotes fat storage - think it was Jillian Michaels. And back in the day when Body for Life was the rage, Bill Phillips said it was a big no, no for anyone watching calories (empty calories).

I also drink a glass (or two) of wine 3-4 days per week. Convinced it was holding back my weight loss, I went cold turkey for a week to see if that got me "unstuck." No change. Didn't lose or gain. So I continue to drink, but make sure it is within my calorie allotment - don't go over two drinks and make sure that a healthy meal is already waiting for me so I don't give in and eat the crap my hubby consumes.
  • Cyphio
    Cyphio Posts: 20
    Options
    I used to drink a good amount a week, not all at once, but it definitely added up over time. I did cut back some alcohol which helped my eating habits and allowed me to use those calories for more nutritious foods. That being said I still have one once in awhile and have not seen any big differences. Everything in moderation. Some experts have a ton of different reasons why you should cut it out all together, but it is a pretty big part of my social life so I have learned to manage.