Thoughts on coffee- hinder weightloss?

Options
2»

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Coffee isn't going to hinder weight loss - unless you are loading it up with a ton of creamer and sugars and turning a 5 calorie cup of coffee into a 100 calorie cup of coffee and not accounting for it...

Coffee can be a diauretic so you do want to make sure you are drinking plenty of water also to offset those effects.

It CAN be a bit detrimental if all you are doing is drinking coffee all day long and not hydrating your body...as it could cause some dehydration so your body may retain whatever water it does get either through food or other drinks. But a cup or two or 3 in addition to a good amount of water shouldn't affect very much of anything.

I find it amusing that certain high profile trainers who have books on the market talk about coffee and how caffine isn't all that great and you should limit yourself to only 1-2 cups a day...when said trainers have "diet pills" on the market where the main ingrediant is CAFFINE....

- Note I am sure you can all guess whom I am talking about and I think they are great people and do a lot of good for a lot of people...anyone that can get people up and get moving and get motivated is great in my book...but to sit and talk about how weight loss is fairly straightforward and if you simply follow the rules (i.e. eat less, eat the right foods and exercise more) and it will work...listened to one of them doing a radio interview yesterday and one the rules was "no more than 2 cups of coffee and none after noon" -ummm why???? and then also have a "diet pill" on the market (full of caffine) that part just bugs me...
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie regardless of where it comes from. As long as you are counting them and being accurate - it shouldn't matter.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    nahh. I drink coffee almost daily.

not that it's the best thing nutritionally... but I don't think it's bad as long as you have the calories allotted for it.

& if anything I'd say it helps weight loss simply because caffeine gives you energy = more movement = more calories burned. but that's just a vague assumption I guess.
  • vsaddlemire
    Options
    I drink coffee at home and work, but I drink it black. It doesn't affect my metabolism in a negative way.
  • toxicmikki
    toxicmikki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If coffee hindered weight loss I'd have to give up on the idea on losing weight. I drink 2 cups a day and there's no way I'm giving it up.

Exactly! Coffee is the one thing that I enjoy that I haven't had to cut back on or cut out all together.

Hand over the coffee and no one gets hurt!!! :drinker:
  • Monkeybutt74
    Monkeybutt74 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I drink Boresha coffee and tea. It has helped me to consistently lose as well as burn fat. We call it "Skinny Coffee". Let me know if you would like to know more. :drinker:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Log all your calories, whether they are liquid or solid food calories.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    An article in the most recent issue of Pointe magazine (a magazine for ballet dancers) discusses coffee and its affects on health and fitness.

Basically, the caffeine encourages your body to retain its glycogen stores longer, which means that the body can burn fat as fuel instead. This can help your endurance because that means your body has glycogen to use later on, which allows you to exercise longer.

The article also said that coffee was not dehydrating, so that's good.

Caffeine can cause the body to lose calcium, so be mindful of that.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I say if it does...who cares!!! No really...I think as long as you stay within your limits, you gotta have some stuff you love...remember, it isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle change. No coffee in your life....NO WAY :)