I'm never going to get thin!

Options
2»

Replies

• Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    One question I haven't seen asked yet is, how long have you been trying to lose weight? Also, once you get closer to goal, it's more difficult to lose. Sometimes, it just takes an incredible amount of patience to get there. And, 80% of weight loss is through diet. Exercise is not a good way to lose weight--it helps, but eating like a maniac and thinking you can exercise it off isn't realistic. I'm not saying this is what you do, but many people have that misconception.
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    According to MFP profile, you joined in April 2012.
    And you have lost 5 lbs

So that is not so terrible ! Losing 5 lbs in less than 2 months, when your objective is only 11 lbs away, means than in 4 months or so you should reach your goal ! :bigsmile:

Thank you. I know that's likely but I'm just so impatient, haha!
  • Barkley87
    Options
    One question I haven't seen asked yet is, how long have you been trying to lose weight? Also, once you get closer to goal, it's more difficult to lose. Sometimes, it just takes an incredible amount of patience to get there. And, 80% of weight loss is through diet. Exercise is not a good way to lose weight--it helps, but eating like a maniac and thinking you can exercise it off isn't realistic. I'm not saying this is what you do, but many people have that misconception.

Probably since January, but then I got injured and had to stop going to the gym from Feb - April.

The problem with me, unlike many other people, is that I much prefer exercise to dieting. I know it's my diet I have to work on but I'm just not that good at it!
  • JoHola
    JoHola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 5 times a week and cycle to work and back and nothing is happening! I feel so discouraged by it all. I'm aware it's probably because I don't have the cleanest diet, but I don't eat fast food or fizzy drinks/soda and I stick to my calories and there's still no difference! Sob.

It seems like you've hit a plateau and it should come off, just stick to it.

Im 5ft 2 and am currently 123. My goal is 120 so I only 3lbs to go. I hit a plateau for 4 whole weeks and absolutely nothing, then 2lb loss the following week. I hope this is the case for you - stick with it. :flowerforyou:
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    According to MFP profile, you joined in April 2012.
    And you have lost 5 lbs

So that is not so terrible ! Losing 5 lbs in less than 2 months, when your objective is only 11 lbs away, means than in 4 months or so you should reach your goal ! :bigsmile:

Thank you. I know that's likely but I'm just so impatient, haha!

Yes, just keep at it, watching your calories, and don't give in to temptations (aka ice cream) often :bigsmile:
  • jean1058
    jean1058 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    While I'm no expert as I'm just beginning my journey, I peeked at your diary. The first day I looked at you had lots of leftover calories. The second day you didn't drink (or log) water. If everything I've been reading on this website holds true you should 1) eat all your calories, and 2) DRINK LOADS OF WATER. Are you getting enough sleep? That seems to make a difference too.
    Just my 2 cents.... good luck.

Keep at it! You CAN do this!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Probably since January, but then I got injured and had to stop going to the gym from Feb - April.

The problem with me, unlike many other people, is that I much prefer exercise to dieting. I know it's my diet I have to work on but I'm just not that good at it!

Diet and exercise are a package deal with it comes to health and fitness. I know it's tough to want to eat healthy, and i was never good at it either. That is why I took it to the extreme and became a vegetarian. It forced me to incorporate more healthy foods into my diet (unless I wanted to be a junk food vegetarian, which I DIDN'T!) I haven't looked at your diary, but I would suggest that you start trying to make small changes. Add in a veggie or two that you like, and then build on it. Aim to replace less nutritious foods with foods that offer your body what it needs. I truly believe that my weight loss was easier because my body was getting the nutrition it needed. It's not the most fun way to eat, but I found that in time, I actually stopped craving junk food and naturally starting going for fruits and veggies. It takes time to develop good habits, so be patient with yourself, and you will do great! :-)
  • Barkley87
    Options
    While I'm no expert as I'm just beginning my journey, I peeked at your diary. The first day I looked at you had lots of leftover calories. The second day you didn't drink (or log) water. If everything I've been reading on this website holds true you should 1) eat all your calories, and 2) DRINK LOADS OF WATER. Are you getting enough sleep? That seems to make a difference too.

Hi, thanks for the advice.

I drink loads of water, definitely more than my 8 cups a day. I'm just too lazy to log it as I know I do it.

And I don't actually sleep enough. I find it hard to calm down and sleep at night and i have to get up early for work. I've never heard of that making a difference before though.
  • Barkley87
    Options

Diet and exercise are a package deal with it comes to health and fitness. I know it's tough to want to eat healthy, and i was never good at it either. That is why I took it to the extreme and became a vegetarian. It forced me to incorporate more healthy foods into my diet (unless I wanted to be a junk food vegetarian, which I DIDN'T!) I haven't looked at your diary, but I would suggest that you start trying to make small changes. Add in a veggie or two that you like, and then build on it. Aim to replace less nutritious foods with foods that offer your body what it needs. I truly believe that my weight loss was easier because my body was getting the nutrition it needed. It's not the most fun way to eat, but I found that in time, I actually stopped craving junk food and naturally starting going for fruits and veggies. It takes time to develop good habits, so be patient with yourself, and you will do great! :-)

Great advice, thank you. I eat some fruit, but hardly any veggies. The next time I go to the supermarket I'm going veggie mad!!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    If you have lost 5 lbs in less than 2 months at a relatively low start weight, then that is quite impressive honestly.
  • minadee
    minadee Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for the advice.

I drink loads of water, definitely more than my 8 cups a day. I'm just too lazy to log it as I know I do it.

And I don't actually sleep enough. I find it hard to calm down and sleep at night and i have to get up early for work. I've never heard of that making a difference before though.

Sleep makes a BIG difference. You should be getting at least 7 hours.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I heard about free health care, thats awesome , and dont let no one tell you YOUR perfect weight, When I was really thin I wanted to lose weight, and people were like "your already skinny" that was when I was 18-20. Now That Im 31 and need to lose 30 lb. I understand both sides. Losing weight is 80% diet 20% exercise , Try eating different (if you can) cut out small things, you dont have to give up everything. but you dont need junk, icecream on a sunny day is perfectly normal ( I love it) as long as its not everyday. I wish you the best .
  • Barkley87
    Options
    icecream on a sunny day is perfectly normal ( I love it) as long as its not everyday. I wish you the best .

Don't worry - in the UK there's no danger of that happening!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    icecream on a sunny day is perfectly normal ( I love it) as long as its not everyday. I wish you the best .

Don't worry - in the UK there's no danger of that happening!

hahaha, enjoying ice cream on a sunny day in the UK only happens about 12 days out of 365!!!! Loving the UK weather right now :)

I have the same problem, I exercise a lot and am struggling to loose my last bit of weight, I'm switching from cardio to weights to see if that makes a difference, also what MFP calculates as your calorie allowance a day might be incorrect, you could try upping your calories? especially as you work out a lot
  • Barkley87
    Options
    I have the same problem, I exercise a lot and am struggling to loose my last bit of weight, I'm switching from cardio to weights to see if that makes a difference, also what MFP calculates as your calorie allowance a day might be incorrect, you could try upping your calories? especially as you work out a lot

Yeah I've thought about that and I have heard it works (for some people at least), I'm just terrified of it not working for me and putting on even more weight.

It's so beautiful outside at the moment! I can't wait to leave the office and cycle home!
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Bump to read all responses later.