downward spiral

Options
Hey all, help please!

I've recently torn the ligaments in my right knee and am totally out of action. As a result, I'm bored, sat around and not doing any exercise (although I did some upper body weights this morning) and can't stop eating, mainly carb-based comfort food. I can already see the little results I had achieved disappearing but can't seem to shake myself out of it.

Any suggestions? I'm miserable :(

Replies

• bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    Replace some of those carbs you are eating with protein and fiber. They will help you feel full and will help wean you off your extra eating. Also, drink more water. Is there something else you can do to distract yourself so you aren't so bored?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    First, stop sabotaging yourself! Log everything BEFORE you eat it so you can see how it will ruin your day.

Second, find something to do. I am not an emotional eater but I am a boredom eater, so I understand. If you are completely immobile, keep up with your upper body exercises, play a game, ask friends to come over to hang out, grab a book and read...anything to keep your mind active and busy. Just sitting around doing nothing or watching TV is what makes me want to munch munch munch on everything in the house.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Welp... the first step is yo see it! You see the downward spiral, only you can stop it.

Losing weight is mostly eating...you should be able to lose weight with out working out. Yes working is great for transforming your body.

Come up with a mantra... my mantra when it comes to food choices is " weight loss is 70% food, 30% exercise%" it helps me make a better decision .

So come up with your mantra... and before you make a not so good eating choice, say it.

You also need mind and hand busy activities... stuff other than T.V., it tends to make you wnat to eat.
  • JessK78
    JessK78 Posts: 26
    Options
    thanks lovely people...its one of those, you know the stuff but its hard to do it, so always helps to hear the encouraging words from others :)

sunning myself in the backyard and drinking a ton of water is my first, very enjoyable step from now! x
  • Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    Options
    I like to read and write and find that doing so helps me. It may help you also. But you need to read books that are inspirational, uplifting and encouraging. There are many out there on weight loss too! Hope this helps...

Feel better soon!