Soy-free, dairy-free frosting or whipped topping?

Options
LiddyBit
LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
I am making these carrot cupcakes -
http://hellogiggles.com/carrot-cake-cupcakes-gluten-dairy-free

But I don't eat soy, so I need something else for the frosting. Usually I just bake full out but I've recently cut dairy from my diet and it has been difficult adapting recipes since soy products are so often the substitute. I have been soy-free for a while, so that's out.

Recipes?

Thanks!

Replies

• VictoriaLandis
    VictoriaLandis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have done coconut oil blended with powdered sugar in the past. You have to keep it in the fridge though b/c it will be liquid at room temperature. Also almond milk with powdered sugar makes a nice glaze for a lot less fat.
  • valeriedent2
    valeriedent2 Posts: 154
    Options
    There's recipies out there made with marshmallow fluff.

Not the best for you, but dairy and gluten free.
  • sarahd150
    sarahd150 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have an recipes using coconut cream as a base. There are several versions, but this seems to be a simple one:

http://www.gooseberrymooseberry.com/2012/02/peach-cupcakes-with-coconut-cream.html?m=1
  • Lorettia
    Lorettia Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, so everything has to be dairy-free for me. Almost everything I want, I can make with almond milk replacing the normal milk. Here's my recipe for almond milk. I also quite often simply just do the almonds and water if I'm putting it in baking, in order to have less calories. Another way to do a frosting without milk or soy is to go the buttercream way, and just use margarine. But of course, that will tend to be way more fat and calories.

Homemade raw almond milk. Feel free to flavor it as you please with dates, cocoa powder, carob powder or honey.

Makes about 5 cups
    Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Total Time: 5 minutes
    Ingredients:
    1 cup raw almonds
    4 cups water
    1 T. maple syrup
    1 t. lemon juice
    1/2 t. salt
    Preparation:
    Combine all ingredients in a blender. Pour mixture into a fine mesh bag or cheesecloth over a container, squeezing all of the liquid into the bag. Serve chilled as is or use in dairy-free recipes.