Thoughts on water?

Options
Do you think drinking water helps with weight loss? How much do you drink each day? As I am getting "smaller" I am seeing the pounds drop off more and more slowly. Will water give me an "edge"?

Replies

• spedabstbit
    spedabstbit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is a good question. I've been wondering the same thing. Interested to see the input you get!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    if you are hydrated I don't think it matters, if you're peeing brown then you aren't drinking enough and bad things will happen.

Never seen a clinical trial that comes out with a clear benefit for drinking more in terms of weight loss - and they are easy to do. Just are inconclusive.

No doubt there will be a load of BS along about how you need to "flush out the toxins" LOL
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I used to think the 8 glasses a day is best was a total exaggeration, but now that I consciously try to get 8 or more a day I see what all the hype is about. It really does make you lose weight faster, not to mention it is the best combatant against bloating! I say drink until you can't drink the stuff anymore!
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I used to think the 8 glasses a day is best was a total exaggeration, but now that I consciously try to get 8 or more a day I see what all the hype is about. It really does make you lose weight faster, not to mention it is the best combatant against bloating! I say drink until you can't drink the stuff anymore!

This!!! I used to think 64 Oz per day was insane! I finally decided to try it for a week, and at first I had to make a ton of potty breaks each day, thinking this is ridiculous!! But after a few days my body adjusted and now I find I really need that amount and have no problem drinking at least the recommended amount, often more. Also as a result I busted through a majorly annoying plateau and the weight continues to come off. I would def recommend lots of water.

Also, I learned that when you actually feel thirst, your body is already dehydrated! You should be drinking to PREVENT thirst, not just quench it like I previously thought.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    It does help with weight loss In a way.... It replaces a lot of other "crap" you could be drinking and makes you feel a bit more full.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Water is so important. Drink at least 8 cups a day, more if possible. You'll get to the point where you crave it. Trust me.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    EVERY function in your body requires water. Water is 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 sugar.. etc.. Weight loss and drinking plenty of water go together. It gets on my nerves seeing people that drink NONE... =/ They only drink Sweet Tea.. here in the south I see that A LOT.. or sodas or juice.. Water is very important in weight loss.. it helps your skin 'bounce back'. It helps your digestive track.. it is all around good for you =)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    It's one of those thinkgs that I hate, but I do it anyway because I "have to" BLAH...I hate water. I do my best to chug 20 ounces at a time so I can get it over with quickly.
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I used to drink nothing but 6-7 cans of diet coke every day, now I drink nothing but water with a little diluting juice and I feel so much better less bloated and actually quenching my thirst whereas before I could drink can after can and still be thirsty, unsure what its done for my weight lose but its definitely made me feel better.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    EVERY function in your body requires water. Water is 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 sugar.. etc.. Weight loss and drinking plenty of water go together. It gets on my nerves seeing people that drink NONE... =/ They only drink Sweet Tea.. here in the south I see that A LOT.. or sodas or juice.. Water is very important in weight loss.. it helps your skin 'bounce back'. It helps your digestive track.. it is all around good for you =)

Forgot to mention.. sometimes when you feel hungry.. it is your body telling you it needs water! So some of the hunger can be replaced with water, helps you feel full and eat less! =)
  • daeohtar
    daeohtar Posts: 6
    Options
    Water is very important for your body, mainly because you're made up of mostly water. It helps regulate your bodily functions and makes sure everything is working alright. The only reason water would make you lose weight faster is if you replace all of the calorie-(and sugar)loaded drinks you consume with water instead. Or tea in some cases. This also includes calorie free diet sodas and juices and drink mixes. Making sure you get enough can avoid bloating, you won't feel as tired during the day, and it'll improve your skin as well. (This might take a while).

I would carry a water bottle with you everywhere you go and just drink from that. It helps you stay hydrated and saves you money from spending on sodas and other bottled water. They even have water bottles with built-in filters if you hate tap.

*EDIT* Once you get smaller, it's harder on average to lose weight because the amount of calories you need to maintain yourself is smaller. I'd switch up your workout routine, or add one if you don't, add some high intensity and interval workouts.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I do much better in my goals when I drink more than 8 8oz servings. Also if your pee has color through out the day then you are dehydrated supposedly. Also water helps flush the excess salts and such and also as you are loosing and burning you need to get rid of the waste....just my thoughts but no degree to back them.
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    I hardly ever drink water. It's really really bad, I know, But I just don't like it =\ I drink a lot of coconut water and green tea. I need some sorta flavor
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Not to mention all the exercise you get from trotting to the bathroom all the time!
  • do4fit
    do4fit Posts: 23
    Options
    I drink a min of 64oz a day.

Why? Because most of the time if you think you are HUNGRY you are actually DEHYDRATED. You can go a loooong time without food, you die within days without water. That tells me right there how important H2O really is. It also helps flush out sodium and other such things important things that go on in your body. It helps you stay fuller longer as well.

To get started drinking more water, have a glass with each meal (tall one) or constantly carry around a large water bottle (I have a 32oz one that I drink 1 in am and 1 before bed if not more) that way I know how much I have to go and it is always with me and I just sip on it all the time. If plain water is not your cup of tea try adding fresh or frozen fruit to it. You can do more then just the traditional lemon. I love raspberries and orange is nice too! You can cut up the fruit and freeze it in ice cube trays with water then just add the cubes to keep your water tasty and ice cold! Hope this helps!!
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

This!!! I used to think 64 Oz per day was insane! I finally decided to try it for a week, and at first I had to make a ton of potty breaks each day, thinking this is ridiculous!! But after a few days my body adjusted and now I find I really need that amount and have no problem drinking at least the recommended amount, often more. Also as a result I busted through a majorly annoying plateau and the weight continues to come off. I would def recommend lots of water.

Also, I learned that when you actually feel thirst, your body is already dehydrated! You should be drinking to PREVENT thirst, not just quench it like I previously thought.

This and when I work out (treadmill) I take a drink every 10min if I need it or not
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Water! I don't know if it helps with weight loss or not, but I find that I get bloated when I don't have enough and I feel like crap to boot! So I drink more water than anything else, cuz it's yummy and it makes me feel better.:drinker:
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It can keep you a bit fuller and is good for a ton of other things -- skin, hair, nails, and of course all of your other bodily functions that need water! If you have trouble getting to 8 right away try for 5 or 6 and then up it slowly.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Thoughts on Water: I think water is an excellent facilitator of recreation. Swimming, kayaking, fishing, surfing, jet sking, .etc. It also helps keep us and our pets cool when it's hot. It's used to make beer & Diet Mt Dew.

You can also drink it when you're thirsty.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Water made a huge difference in my initial weight loss journey back in 2003 when I lost about 20lbs. I have always required a lot of liquids and dehydrate easily, but at the time I was pretty much only drinking soda (both diet and regular). I quit the soda cold turkey and started drinking almost exclusively water (with milk thrown in occasionally). Combining that with getting rid of fried foods and cutting back on portion size, I lost weight pretty easily for about five or so months.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it made in my weight loss this time around, since I pretty much never went back to my old drinking habits and still drink water 90% of the time. It did make a big difference in that I'm much more active these days, and need more water to fuel my runs, hikes, and other workouts. I have 18oz tumbler class I drink out of around the house (I drink at least one with breakfast too), and I also have a 32oz nalgene that I carry to work with me and I usually go through at least one of those a day.