Unmotivated - how did you get started?

Options
2»

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Just go for a walk. Increase your speed and distance slowly. Get some light weights and do some strength training in front of the tv at night instead of sitting on the couch. I don't have a gym membership but I did have motivation. I wanted to be a better me and they only way I was going to do that was to get moving.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    yep, if your joints can handle it, walk, often and over time, far. use home dvd's or if you have access to free cable workouts use those. We have ondemand here that has numerous free workouts fromyoga to boxing. force yourself to schedule it into your day. After awhile it will just become another thing you do every day. Good luck to you
  • PughTooFew
    PughTooFew Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My motivation wavers regularly, it only takes a few days of 'rest' to turn back into a couch potato! I'm starting off my exercise again slowly. Not having very much money and also having two small kids I can't really go out to gyms or pools so it's more like walks and housework and gardening that I push myself into doing more vigorously. I tried 30DS and lasted under a week, it seems like such a big step when you've done no exercise before (or not in a while). If you can afford it, Zumba is so much fun! or a step class for beginners.

Keep going and let us know what exercises you can find to do around the home or on a budget - get creative and keep moving! : )
  • mandymccoll
    mandymccoll Posts: 13
    Options
    Walking and cycling are great ways to exercise and don't cost a lot of money. It's difficult to convince yourself to start exercising, start out doing something 2\3 times a week and then build it up, you will be amazed how quickly it just becomes part of what you do. I've been really surprise, 6 months ago I found it really difficult to motivate myself to do any exercise, now I get some sort of wierd withdrawl from exercise if I haven't done anything for a couple of days.

Find something that you are interested in doing and if you can find someone to do it with you that will help. Exercising with another person helps, you don't want to let the other person down by not turning up, which in turn can help you get in to a routine.

I hope this helps, all I can say is that if you make small changes to begin with it will get easier.