working nightshift

Options
hey guys, i am working nightshifts now.. and it's quite a mess specially trying to maintain my diet...
i usualy eat by instict now and i belive i am eating "MORE" than i used to, altough i am still loosing weight..
do you have any advices?
Cheers

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I used to work the night shift...night shift is difficult and changes your metabolism

2 reasons, I ate...boredom and fatique

Make sure you get enough sleep, turn off the phone, use earplugs, and buy a mask to darken the room. I bought one at Walgreens. It will help with fatique and hopefully you won't compensate with food.

Don't eat for boredom. Find something else to do. Figure out what works for you.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    When I was working more nights I would change my day over at midnight, especially since I didn't always sleep during the day. Be sure to get enough sleep, since I cut back on nights I have lost 20 lbs and ten of that came off real quick because I wasn't eating all night long any more. Plan ahead--we tend to always have junk food set out at my work so avoiding it was difficult. When I did my best I would actually plan my exercise in during my down time, I would walk the floor at 2 am when I would tend to get tired anyway. It gave me a second wind and got in more exercise. Good luck! It is possible to lose weight on the night shift it just takes planning and self control--something I lose the more tired I am.

:flowerforyou:
  • avamariah
    avamariah Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and have worked night shift for 12 years. Studies have shown that night shift workers are more likely to suffer from heart attack and heart disease because of fatigue and unhealthy eating habits. This has been very true for me in the past. I would never get enought sleep, constantly drank coffee and ate spontaneous meals. Now, its a different story. I plan my menu ahead of time, I take a break and leave the unit to eat and I always pack quick healthy grab snacks. These help because if the night get a little hectic I can always grab some grapes or nuts until I can get to my lunch. It beats hitting up the vending machine for Doritos or Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies (my favorite). I have noticed that I feel much better throughout and at the end of my shift. I also sleep much better.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    When I worked night shifts I never drank coffee at night - it bothered my stomach and ruined my daytime sleep. I did drink some caffeinated tea but mostly herbal tea. I ate mostly fruit and snacks like cheese and crackers. I had my main meal in the evening before going to work, a small meal in the morning after work, and another small meal around lunchtime if I was awake then.

Exercising also can be a challenge. I found that I was usually pretty pumped in the morning and no able to sleep anyway, so that was a good time for exercise for me.
  • avamariah
    avamariah Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree. After a good morning workout and a shower I was off to la la land. I slept really well.
  • Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    Options
    hey guys, thanks for the info.
    what i am doing:
    I dont eat anything in the morning , nothing!
    at arround 6pm to 9pm i eat my breakfast
    at arround 2am i eat a lunch
    and at arround 7 am i eat my dinner...