Breast Feeding

Options
I just started the program this week and am breast feeding my 5 month old as well. I noticed a huge decrease in my milk supply. Do I need to account somewhere for those calories or increase what the program recommends I use daily? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• butlera8
    butlera8 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You may need to up your caloric intake. I think they recommend at least 1800 calories for breastfeeding moms.
  • chantalb20
    chantalb20 Posts: 132
    Options
    If there's a decrease, definitely up your calories! After 6 months, or when you stop exclusively breastfeeding, you can decrease a little again. I'm breastfeeding my 14month old still and my milk supply hasn't decreased at all.
  • CommandoShelley
    CommandoShelley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I upped by calories by 500 to account for breast feeding and it has worked for me. That may be too much or too little for you, but up your calories by 500 to start and then just adjust it as needed.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    You need to eat an extra 500 calories when you breast feed. You can add it to your diary if you search "Breast feeding" and it will give you an extra 500 calories to your diary. Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You can actually log your nursing in your food diary. Just look up "breast feeding" or "nursing" (I don't remember which one I used) where you look up foods to add and it'll subtract calories so you can eat a little more.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Here is a really good article on breast feeding from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breastfeeding-nutrition/MY02015

"Do I need extra calories while breast-feeding?

Yes, you might need to eat a little more — about an additional 400 to 500 calories a day — to keep up your energy.

To get these extra calories, opt for nutrient-rich choices, such as a slice of whole-grain bread with a tablespoon (about 16 grams) of peanut butter, a banana or apple, and 8 ounces (about 227 grams) of fat-free yogurt. "
  • Blackpearl21
    Blackpearl21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As the previous post noted, you need to up your intake. There's actually a breastfeeding option under food that you can add (just do it under breakfast search) and it will deduct a certain amount of calories from your diet that you will need to make up with eating. My wife is currently breastfeeding 4-5 times a day and she deducts about 400-500 calories and eats additional food to make up those calories, lots of fruit, vegetables, etc... and she hasn't seen a reduction at all and still losing weight. This way you are eating your recommended intake with taking in account for breastfeeding.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you are taking in plenty of fluids, especially water. Exercise is going to deplete you, and you need quite a bit to keep up your milk supply.
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    It's usually 500 calories for babies who are solely breastfed and 200-300 for older babies. If your milk supply decreased, you aren't taking in enough calories.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Weight watchers actually has a program for breast feeding/nursing mothers. It does call for an increased calorie intake than what MFP says, but too waaaaaaay different programs
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has already said, up your calories. I've been on MFP since my son was 6 weeks old. This is also when I started exercising. I eat around 2,000 calories a day on average and I've lost over 40 pounds. I've mainly lifted weights and done a little bit of cardio. Good luck!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has already said, up your calories. I've been on MFP since my son was 6 weeks old. This is also when I started exercising. I eat around 2,000 calories a day on average and I've lost over 40 pounds. I've mainly lifted weights and done a little bit of cardio. Good luck!

Oh yeah, and my milk supply hasn't suffered. Though it does get a boost when I decide to eat an absurd amount of food in a day (i.e. 3,000 calories every once in a while).
  • valderi
    valderi Posts: 5
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. I lost 25 pounds since February and I noticed a huge drop in the last few weeks. I've increased my calorie intake at the beginning of this week and I already see a big improvement.

Feel free to add me if you want support from someone who's in the same boat.
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think most programs exaggerate the number of calories truly needed to support BFing. Now that said, the more you're nursing, the more you'll need. Listen to your body -- if you're maintaining your milk supply then you're fine. If it starts getting low, then get more food, sleep & water, and supplement with fenugreek if necessary. You'll have it back up in a day or less, in my experience.