are stronglifts good for fat loss?

Options
ok so for the last few years on and off i have been doing a split routine i.e chest/back bicep/legs etc , i did a bit of strong lifts before deadlifts,bench and squats all in 1 day it felt very effective but after a couple of weeks i went back to split.

Anyway im feeling to start stronglifts the start of this week my goal is to lose 50lb so strength trainig while losing weight would be the best thing to do so i dont lose any strength when i reach my goal weight plus the feel of doing compact exercises are more natural then doing iscolated exercises that leave me feeling stiff afterwards.

What i want to know who has had success from doing stronglifts?has anyone lost allot of fat from doing this as there main exercise?how much strength did you gain etc

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it's only part of the deal

weight loss = eating right
    fat loss = eating right + lifting heavy

So strong lifts + eating right = fat loss
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything jacksonpt states but would like to add...I noticed no mention of cardio in either post. If your concern is to not lose any strength, add in some HIIT (high intensity interval training). This type of cardio doesn't require much time (12-15 minutes), actually helps to build muscle and hit the fat deposits harder than normal cardio. Plus, you'll sweat your derriere off!!!

Do 15-30 seconds sprints followed by 1-minute jogs. This can be done on any cardio device (treadmill, elliptical or bike...etc).
  • persianprince88
    persianprince88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replys yeah i should of mentioned i have been doing 15-20 mins cardio before weights i no its more effective after to burn fat but i have tried doing cardio a couple of times after weights and i am too exhausted so now i plan to add cardio on different days.

my question was just about stronglifts and people who have seen good results from them nutrition wise i am good at1900-2000 cal aiming for over 160g protein a day.

i aslo want to know has anyone increased there deadlift bench and squat while losing a fair amount of weight/fat
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 3% bodyfat, 10lbs, and two dress sizes in the four or so months I've been doing StrongLifts. I'm eating close to maintenance so my lifts don't suffer so my loss might be slower than someone eating less, but it's still made a huge difference in how my body looks and feels.

In regards to upping your lift numbers, here's my progression from when I started to now:

Bench: 30lbs > 90lbs
    Squat: 45lbs > 160lbs
    Deadlift: 60lbs > 200lbs
    Row: 30lbs > 85lbs
    Overhead Press: 30lbs > 70lbs

Please keep in mind that I'm a 5'6 160lb woman. I eat anywhere from 1700-2100 calories a day.
  • persianprince88
    Options
    I've lost about 3% bodyfat, 10lbs, and two dress sizes in the four or so months I've been doing StrongLifts. I'm eating close to maintenance so my lifts don't suffer so my loss might be slower than someone eating less, but it's still made a huge difference in how my body looks and feels.

In regards to upping your lift numbers, here's my progression from when I started to now:

Bench: 30lbs > 90lbs
    Squat: 45lbs > 160lbs
    Deadlift: 60lbs > 200lbs
    Row: 30lbs > 85lbs
    Overhead Press: 30lbs > 70lbs

Please keep in mind that I'm a 5'6 160lb woman. I eat anywhere from 1700-2100 calories a day.

thats the sort of stuff i wanted to see
  • persianprince88
    Options
    I started stronglifts today squats 5x5, bench 5x5 and bent over row 5x5(also 2 warm up sets before each) afterwards i did 10 minutes HIIT 30 sec sprint 30 sec walk after i finished i thought i was going to have a heart attack :o

i think anyone who has a decent amount of strength the volume is too much manly for the squats plus having too do it 3 x a week i dont think thats enough recovery time especially if your looking to add cardio.

mark riptoes SS is basically the same but instead of 5 sets its 3 this seems better so i think il do this for the next 10 weeks hopefully
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    a good diet is good for fat loss.