I want to buy a bike.

Options
pg3ibew
pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
But which kind?

I have reached my goal weight of 190.
I am 5'10".
I want a bike to ride back and forth tho the gym. Over paved roads. One that is real REAL REAL comfortable to ride.
Any Suggestions?

Oh, and I want one for the wife as well.

Did I mention I want a comfortable ride?

Replies

• pg3ibew
    Options
    BUMP for advice.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Well, do you want a road bike that is only for pavement, something you can take off road onto trails... do you want to invest a lot and become vested in the sport, or just casual? If anything stop by a couple local bike shops and talk to them about what you want and see what they have to say. Get some prices/models, do some test rides, do some research online... ask more questions...
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Just go to a store and try a few, everybody's bum is different and what's comfortable for you might not be comfortable for someone else. I have a store nearby where each bike has a sign telling how tall you need to be to ride it, you can also go by that. As for the price, you can find anything from $80 at walmart to $400 at a bike store.
    My bike was stolen, so I'm looking for a new one too.
    Good luck!
  • TravisBikes
    Options
    There are many that go well over the $400 mark.. :)
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    There are many that go well over the $400 mark.. :)

I have a 'previously enjoyed' tri bike for sale for $1250...
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I have a 'previously enjoyed' tri bike for sale for $1250...

Not so comfortable.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    A hybrid (or maybe cyclocross) with solid front fork and a fit session done to match it to your personal geometry is the most comfortable bike. A pro fitting will run 100-200 bux.

hybrids have fairly wide tires, but usually fairly smooth-ish too. The wider the tire, the more rolling resistance.
    A hardtail mountain bike might work too, but you would want to get narrow/smoother tires. The knobby tires on asphalt/concrete are a waste and just increase the work you have to do.
  • AugustSong
    AugustSong Posts: 12
    Options
    To each their own, but I use a mountain bike to get back and forth to work, and love it. It's designed to handle bumps well, and the wider tires give you lots of traction. But as many have already said here, you need to try them out for yourself, to see what you like best.
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't know how close you are to your gym that you will be biking to. I would recommend a hybrid type of bike that combines the benefits of a road bike ie larger diameter, narrower, high pressure tires & the more upright riding position of a mountain bike.

They do have comfort bikes but I would avoid these if you plan on doing any riding other than around a neighborhood. My wife has one & I'm an avid cyclist & I couldn't ride that bike any distance beyond five miles...at best....& I ride 20-40 mile rides all the time.

Go to a few bike shops, figure out what you want, what fits in your budget, & look around. You can find deals on ebay & craigslist but dont settle for a size that's not right. You wont be happy. Additionally, discountbikesdirect.com is a place to find deals if you know what you want, don't care about the name brand & can handle the assembly.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice.
  • Lidenbrock
    Lidenbrock Posts: 47
    Options
    I'd go for a hybrid. We have Ridgeback Momentums - perfect for cycle paths/roads - but just as good for off road stuff. Best of both worlds. Website if you are in UK: http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/momentum
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Bump. I, too, am looking for a bike :)
  • rlcrittenden82
    Options
    I just bought a Schwinn Cruiser and I LOVE IT!! nice big comfortable seat and big tires so the ride is very smooth. The one I bought doesnt have gears but, I am not at my goal weight so I bought one for $100, there are others with gears and hand brakes that are still very well priced. Check out target.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I want a bike too so that I can ride the silver comet trail with my son and get in some family time and exercise.
  • 4d9r
    4d9r Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a cruiser as well. No gears, which I could never figure out which one I was supposed to be in anyway. I love this bike. My brother got it for me as a gift, plus one for himself as well. Can't say enough good things about it! Good luck. Hope you find a bike you love just as much as I love mine! :smile:
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Find a bike that fits you well and then buy a comfortable seat for it! Good luck!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The absolute best thing to do is to go to a real bike store, talk to the people who work there, and try a bunch of bikes. Bike stores are always staffed by cyclists, and they love nothing more than to talk about bikes! (Well, maybe they like riding them more. Maybe.)

It sounds like you're going to be doing a fair bit of biking, and using it in place of your car for daily commutes and errands. Don't get sticker shock when you look at the bikes... tif you think about all the gas money you'll save by riding it, suddenly a $500 bike doesn't seem all that pricey!

I wanted to get a cheap bike for myself, but my husband insisted on taking me to a real bike store (one called "Real Bikes," as a matter of fact) where I fell in love with a hybrid Specialized. Every time I get on it, I'm grateful that he wanted me to have a good bike!
  • raggedyangst
    Options
    Be aware that the saddle on the bike you buy really isn't that critical. You can always replace it and probably will want to. The critical thing is to get the bike sized to fit you by professionals. Believe me, that makes all the difference. Also, get the right bag for your body: some prefer backpacks, others panniers. I can't use backpacks as they make my body hurt, but I barely even feel my Timbuktu messenger-style bag, no matter how much I load that sucker up. If you live in a hilly place (I'm in Seattle, which has a fair few hills), you might consider toe clips or clipless pedals, but that's a decision for later, when you're comfortable with your bike and with riding in your area.

Enjoy!
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    I was just in a real bike store. Holy Crap. These things are freakin expensive. They were showing me GIANT SEDONAs, a cheap bike, for 400 bucks each. One for me and one for wifey. The Sedona's are what they reccomended.

They had bikes there that went for as much as 1700 bucks.

I haven't rode a bike in 30 years. WOW, what a difference. Some of these bikes have DISK brakes. Some have Hydraulic disk brakes. WTF. I am totally amazed.
  • TravisBikes
    Options
    Don't even start to look at the full suspension or downhill bikes.... or if it's your fancy, the carbon road bikes...

Think of it as an investment to commit.