Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Exercise and earn more cals. :drinker:
  • amandab1669
    amandab1669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is to see how many calories my meal may be before I choose to eat it. If it is too much I would choose something else that would keep me in my caloric range. The MFP database has a lot of the foods you already eat in the system so it is very helpful. If you cannot find it in there the look at the companies website and they may have the info needed. Preplanning for a few weeks until you can get your breakfast calories under control may be the best for you right now.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I usually eat about 200 for breakfast and lunch, 300 for snacks (total 700), 600 or so for dinner. I eat very light foods throughout the day. If I get hungry, I eat a snack. The secret is to eat all through the day and to avoid anything heavy. At 700 cal for breakfast, I'd say no creamer in your coffee, no dairy at all, and try to get protein and grains (which give me, anyway, a fuller feeling than empty calories). Oh, and something as small as a cup of OJ really adds up and does little to slake your thirst or give you vitamins (any multivitamin has more vitamin C than a cup of OJ)

Eating throughout the day isn't that important. It is just something used to help curb binges.
    Yep, and that's the important part of losing weight long term. It's to control the binges so you don't stand at the fridge wondering if you can eat carrots with BBQ sauce on them and call it healthy.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1470 and there are days when I struggle, and days when I end the day saying "holy @$#@$, how am I going to eat all those calories!" (especially on days when I work out).

At the very beginning, this is going to get a little tough, but it gets better really fast. Honestly, it really does.

Here are a few things to start out:
    1. Start tracking carbohydrates, fat, and protein as well as calories. Try to eat ALL of your allotment of at least fat and protein, and if you're like most of us try to get your carbohydrates down to the recommended levels. Even if it means going over your calories at first. A balanced diet - feeding your body ALL of what it needs - is key to avoiding hunger.

2. Experiment with eating different amounts at different intervals. For example, I'm fine with an under-200-calorie breakfast (1/2 cup oatmeal with cinnamon and one hardboiled egg), because I know that 2 hours later (10AM) I'm going to allow myself to start eating lunch, which I eat in 100-200 calorie increments all day long until 4PM. The oatmeal-and-egg breakfast has also given me a good balance of carbs, fat, and protein so I remain easily satisfied until 11AM most mornings.

NOTE: It's not the actual eating less / more often that helps you lose weight. It's if doing so helps you feel more full all day long. It does for me. Your mileage may vary. Just experiment with timing and portions to find what works for YOU. Some people prefer one humongous meal once a day - if I tried that I'd be emptying the contents of a fryalator into my gaping maw by 10AM. But it works for them.

3. Work out. Exercise. It earns you more calories to eat. Eat them. (cue argument 14,000 about this subject). If you use exercise as an incentive to eat more, you'll exercise more, and you'll still lose weight just as fast.

4. Cinnamon gum. Appetite suppressant, constant flavoring, and something to focus on. I would NEVER have gotten through the first two weeks without it. I don't need it any more, but it came in really handy at first!

5. Water, water, everywhere! Drink, drink, drink! If you haven't upped your water to the 8 glasses, do it now. It helps for many reasons. You'll go through a few days to a week of peeing a lot, then it goes away.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Since you only have 1 lb to lose, just skip the 700 calorie breakfast 5 days in a row. That should do it! :wink:
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I was hoping for a different kind of post..
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Cook most of your food yourself. It is amazing how much the calorie count of foods goes down when home prepared. Nachos, pizza, pasta, burgers, etc. When I prepare these myself they have 1/2 - 2/3 the calories of when I eat them out or premade. It's as if every restaurant and frozen food company coats everything in lard.

lol, I DO cook everything in lard (or bacon grease, or chicken fat, or beef tallow, or coconut oil, or real butter...), and it's STILL lower in calories and healthier overall than most of the food I can buy. It's true, a little planning goes a long way when it comes to eating better. You'll feel full longer and have more energy if you eat wholesome food that you like. So... what kind of food do you like? I'm sure, even if you don't consider yourself a cook, you can produce a reasonable facsimile (and in some cases, a superior) version of the things you crave now.

Personally, I LOVE soup, and it keeps me full. I eat some kind of soup for breakfast each day (usually egg drop, but if I make a big pot of something I'll have that instead). One of the things I've learned by tracking my food intake is that I feel better if I don't eat sweet, carby foods for breakfast. Even steel-cut oatmeal makes me crave sugar later in the day. I hope you find something that works for you, and if you want some support or some help figuring out healthy recipes, add me! I love to cook. Have a great day!
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You'll learn how to manage it as time goes on and you learn just how many calories are in things. A big breakfast isn't bad, so long as you don't follow it up with a big lunch, then a big dinner, then a slice of chocolate cake!

I'm on 1480 and I usually have about 150/200 for breakfast, 400 for lunch then 400-600 for dinner, that leaves me with some to play around with if one day I want a big breakfast or one day I want to go out for dinner or one day I want a big lunch or something.

I'm never hungry doing it this way, but my only real energy burner is the gym - I'm not currently working, maybe if I was on top of all this I would be hungry more.
  • musicmrse
    musicmrse Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So great that you're wrestling through this!

You get used to it. My goal is between 1600-1700 and I often have trouble meeting it. I'm about 3 weeks into it. It wasn't that easy at first. I have been eating 4 meals that are around 300-400 calories. And I eat a lot at dinner around 5pm and then don't eat the rest of the night. (Really hard to do, I know!) Eat as many fruits and veggies as you want. Nobody ever got fat on carrots and apples!
  • wwoelbel
    wwoelbel Posts: 23
    Options
    Getting started sucks! You'll learn what the penalties are for the foods you like. For me, the trick was to eliminate the higher calorie foods that I didnt really really love, cut the portions on those that are in the awesome category, and stock up on the things that are in the "meh" category but low calorie penalty. I love really good bread. Most breads are pretty high in calories. I eat Healthy Living (35 cals/slice) bread as a snack with a little smear of peanut butter and sugar free Polanar preserves. I get to splurge on Sunday and I have 2 slives of a LeBrea loaf with a very tiny bit of real butter. The reward treats taste so very much better after abstaining. After a couple of weeks of getting used to the process of looking at food and seeing it as a yummy hunk of calorie penalties, you'll just fall in. I have a calorie goal of 1400-ish and seldom make it upto 1200 these days.

Log everything.
    Dont kill youself if you go over. Look at what you ate and see what you could have done without. Actively plan your meals in advance.
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    I think the most important thing a lot of people are not familiar with, is what it actually means to be hungry. Think about the feeling you had in your stomach after you were done eating your breakfast- were you waiting for there to be pressure, to "feel" full? As in packed with food? That's the feeling most people associate with fullness. Most people will say they are still hungry if their stomach doesn't feel like it's filled to capacity. Real hunger involves stomach growls- I make it a practice to not even eat until I can audibly hear my stomach growl. It's your bodies built in way of letting you know you're running on empty. And it takes some learning to distinguish the rumbly feeling of digestion from the growl of an empty stomach. I eat until I am no longer hungry, I do not eat until I am "full".
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Log everything.
    Dont kill youself if you go over. Look at what you ate and see what you could have done without.

^^^ This. My early diary was a disaster, and I expect you'll find a lot of agreement there.
    Actively plan your meals in advance.

^^^^ And double on this. I log my breakfast and lunch (which I pack to work every day) during breakfast.

That way, when I get unexpected surprises (like the instant message I just now got from my wife announcing that we were going out to dinner in a half hour), I know exactly how many calories I have remaining for the day, and I can plan how I will expend them when I reach the restaurant.

So, at the risk of boring you, here's how my thought process is going right now: Let's see (hops to diary)..

I ate my turkey wrap and vegetables, so leave those. I didn't work out so no calories there, but I also don't need the potassium and sugar from the banana or the protein from the nuts, I can skip those and also the apple I usually munch just before heading out... subtract those.. now I have 995 calories.

OK, I can work with that. A small sandwich or salad, healthy side. Maybe there's even room for a 10-12 dark chocolate chips for dessert when I get home. Man I wish I had worked out today, might have been able to have fries! Oh, well, this can work. I'll look at the sandwiches and find a nice 500-calorie one. Maybe a nice roast beef with dark mustard... mmm.... and some fresh vegetables on the side, that'll leave plenty for a beer.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Eliminate all alcohol, sodas, foods with high-fructose corn syrup, and diary.

Good luck!

This may work for the poster, but it isn't necessary for everyone. I drink alcohol (quite often), eat lots of cheese, etc. And I still lose well. If you want to go that extreme, and it works ... power to ya. But it isn't necessary for everyone. Or desireable.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm far from good at this, but I"m better than I used to be. I eat tons of vegetables that are low in calories. I eat a salad with every lunch and dinner meal. Lots of spinach, radishes, onions, grapes, tomatoes, etc. keep it low in calories and fill me up before I eat a "main course" item. I started out eating REAL Ranch dressing, allowing for the calories and letting that be my splurge. Then, I switched (somehow) to cottage cheese as the dressing. Now, I'm finding that I'm eating those veggies without anything on them and enjoying them just as much. I have been doing it so long now (almost a year) that I feel really lost if I don't have my "greens" for the meals. Now, if I could just figure out how to avoid that late night zombie eating I'd be Twiggy!!!!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    This bears repeating: Exercise and earn more calories to eat.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to your post! I felt like that at the start too. I'm still frequently amazed at just how many calories are in some foods - the trick for me, like others have already said, is logging in advance to avoid any nasty surprises. And you'll learn as you go along plenty of lower calorie alternatives...

Plenty of other good advice in this thread already so I won't repeat it all. Good luck, promise it gets easier!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. Helps a lot for me personally. That gives me two 800 calorie meals instead of 3 550 calorie meals. some people feel awful if they don't eat oftne but it doesn't bother me at all.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Processed, packaged foods - like you had for bfast - are notoriously high in calories, fat and sodium. You can make something just as hearty and filling and tasty for much less calories.

I don't advise skipping breakfast. Research shows that people who eat a good breakfast lose weight faster and keep it off more consistently than those who don't.

but you may have to experiment a while and find what works for you.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hi Nina-I just peeked at your food diary and saw what you meant about breakfast. You're right-planning is the key! In place of what you had for breakfast, try having some cook on the stove, old-fashioned oatmeal. I know, it doesn't sound very glamorous but it does fill you up. And here's the other thing-it's good for you! Try thinking about what you eat as whether it is nutritionally sound. Make the oatmeal, add in a little bit of brown sugar, a tablespoon or so of raisins, a tablespoon of ground flaxseed (good fat) and sprinkle on some cinnamon. For me, it's the type of breakfast that will carry me through until lunch, even with a tough workout.

You're fairly young and probably at one of the busiest times of your life. It might be difficult to find time to cook from scratch. If you do have time, I recommend it. It's more filling and will "cost" you less calories. However, if you are going out to eat, be sure and check MFP's database. There are lots of restaurants in it and it will help you make great choices. Try to steer clear of high sodium items-they're not very good for you and might cause your body to retain water, which can make your weight higher than what it truly is.

Make time to work out each day or most days. Not only will it help you lose weight, but it's just plain good for your overall health. Make exercise a part of your daily life. I'm sure you've heard about parking further out, taking the stairs, etc. Those things do make a difference!

Just make sure you eat to fuel your body. Junk food is every where and sometimes you have to look harder to find something healthy. However, you will be glad you did!:flowerforyou:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Take a week or two, even a month if you need it, to eat how you normally would eat, log it, see the crazy numbers, let them sink into your brain, and make tiny changes. If it's that hard to jump right in, don't. Baby steps.