What fitness level/wt. do you start 30D Shred/Insanity?

Options
Funsoaps
Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
Or those types of hard core workouts...I mean do larger-sized people do them or do you wait until you are in better shape, and like 30 lbs from your weight goal? Just curious. Imagine it would be easy if you had 70+ lbs to lose or something.?

Replies

• EAH123
    EAH123 Posts: 40
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred when I was at my heaviest. It was hard to do all the jumping jacks but just take it one day at a time. I also did lots of walking.
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I started the 30 day shred when i was 240lb. I am not 225lb and its getting easier as i go. It was real hard to start with it. But i really enjoy it. I mix in other exercises now as my endurance to the exercises gets better i have started adding but on to my work out.
  • Funsoaps
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred when I was at my heaviest. It was hard to do all the jumping jacks but just take it one day at a time. I also did lots of walking.

Awesome, what were your results?

I ask because I still want 75 lbs off, I have lost 22 but my fitness level is up, I go hiking up to 4 miles, I do 70 and 90 minute workouts, I can jog a mile now...so I wonder if it's something that I need to wait for 30 more pounds or 50 more pounds nearer to my goal. I'm also not that big on TV/video workouts, I get bored and I like nature more; hikes, walks/jogs/rollerblading.
  • Funsoaps
    Options
    I started the 30 day shred when i was 240lb. I am not 225lb and its getting easier as i go. It was real hard to start with it. But i really enjoy it. I mix in other exercises now as my endurance to the exercises gets better i have started adding but on to my work out.

I notice I'm fit when I do my usual workouts, dancing, walking, etc but when I try to jog or do a TV/video workout (like as if taking an aerobics class) that I am out of breath/tired after 5 mins LOL so I'm sure that I have some working up to do.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I do 30DS now at 231 lbs. I use 5lb weights but will sometimes set them aside for a moment. Inside workouts with the TV bore me as well so I suggest you get the dvds from the library or netflix in case they bore you, that way you aren't out any money.
  • kkmarie11
    kkmarie11 Posts: 114
    Options
    just go for it and start it! Jillian Michaels is on the biggest loser and the 3ds is basically what she does to the contestants on the show so you can do it and it will help you so much! just try your best and yu will see the results you can do it it will be hard but you can do it! i started it exacctly a week ago and im already seeing results not huge but i can see my arms are more toned i see my abs and my legs are lookin pretty good too! go for it girll!
  • jesscod
    jesscod Posts: 98
    Options
    I am currently doing 30DS with 5lb weights...I tend to get pretty sore after the first day of each level but my muscles adapted by the last day....but it always makes me sweat buckets. You know its working when you have to take breaks to cuss out loud at Jillian while you catch a breath! :P Think I'm gonna try it again after a while with slightly higher weights
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    im 118lbs, and just started insanity, and it kicks my *kitten*. I can barely get through the warm up without a break.

However, I have friends who are double my weight, that can do insanity no troubles, run 10km marathons (i can barely run for 2 minutes straight).

sometimes its not about the number, its how bad you want to push yourself
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing 30DS with 5lb weights...I tend to get pretty sore after the first day of each level but my muscles adapted by the last day....but it always makes me sweat buckets. You know its working when you have to take breaks to cuss out loud at Jillian while you catch a breath! :P Think I'm gonna try it again after a while with slightly higher weights

Cussing at Jillian is my favorite part of the workout. I know that I can mute her voice but it is just so nice to yell at her when I start to feel exhausted.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you can start at any weight, it's about will. I started P90X at my heighest. Granted I had issues with the discs that deterred me and personal issues in my life, I never doubted myself and wanted IT more than anything. With will, anything is possible, I believe. In P90X and other BeachBody products, it's always taught that go as much as you can and rest/drink water often. I'm about to start again soon!! I think you can do it! Especially if your endurance has increased, it will make it easier! Msg me if you wanna talk about it, lol. We should start at the same time! Insanity for you and P90X for me! LOL
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    30 DS isnt hardcore

that being said, anyone can do either and modify it for their fitness level
  • dfranks43
    dfranks43 Posts: 18
    Options
    OK, I did them when I was 250+ pounds so anyone can do them you just do what you can and each day you get stronger. I am down 41 pounds now but have opted to do a class where the teacher is right in front of me because I don't tend to cheat as much, lol. Being with other people is more motivating to me!
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Do with what you feel most comfortable with. Even challenging yourself as you go to do the "extreme" person's workout and then toning down with the modifier. If there's no modifier, just take your time. I'm currently doing RI30 and some times I keep up with the modifier but I aspire to keep up with Jillian's "extreme" human.
    Best of luck!
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    You lose body fat in the kitchen, not via exercise.

Exercise is a great motivator and makes you happy, but to really rip off body fat ... the kitchen.
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just started 30DS and it's hard for me. I'm doing it every other day because I want to give my muscles a rest between workouts because I'm so sore. I guess everyone has to do it at their own pace and fitness level. I hope to see results as I go on.
  • Paris11loves
    Options
    I started doing 30 day shred before I fully committed to losing weight. It kicked my butt, but it was a great feeling. The great thing about that video is that she shows a beginners version of all the moves. It may take a little longer until you feel comfortable enough to move up to the next level, but it's about the exercise more so than following the schedule.
    Also, I found I sometimes liked to alternated levels. I'd be on level one but decide to do level two one day just to test myself.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    30 DS isnt hardcore

that being said, anyone can do either and modify it for their fitness level

Maybe for you it's not, but for many people it is. I workout at the gym 6-7 days a week and do cardio and strength training. The day after the first day I did the shred, I was so sore that sitting down in a chair was a challenge. I am in very good shape, but the shred used muscles I'm not used to using and that's actually a good thing.

As for the comment that losing body fat in the kitchen, I don't think the OP even mentioned losing body fat.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Im 236 lbs, and very unfit. Istarted 30DS last week, and its definately hard but doable!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 DS at 257 lbs..and am 225 today. Granted, it was tough. I had been doing quite a bit of cardio working out tho..in spite of being fat, I wasn't in TERRIBLE shape. I'm almost 6 ft tall, so that's fat, but not horrible.

That being said, I was still fat enough that the jumping jacks hurt when my fat, flopped, LOL. I bought a Gold's Gym Neoprene belt to wrap around my tummy to hold it in so it wouldn't hurt to bounce, and I wear 2 bras to stop the flop :P

OH, editing: I started with 2 lb weights, but am using 5 lb now :)
  • Jentaylor0295
    Jentaylor0295 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Too funny ... my hubby and I were doing it today and were both cussing her out :)