Any New Moms Out There?

Options
Hi! I am a new mom of a 3 week old and I am looking to get into shape as I am currently 200 pounds and my height is 5'2.. just wondering if there are any other new moms that would like to be motivation buddies!!??

Replies

• rsua2281
    rsua2281 Posts: 13
    Options
    my baby girl just turned 5 months old and i have only lost 25 pounds...so sad but I will say this

NURSE!NURSE!NURSE! i did not have the opportunity to do it and my sister in law who did, got so tiny in just about 2 months, she lost so much weight and ate all she wanted. Now that she stopped nursing, she is gaining weight and will start to diet and exercise.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good place to start.
    Most medical professionals will recommend waiting until you are 6-8 weeks out from the birth to begin vigorous exercise, as your body needs time to recover from birth.
    Are you breastfeeding? If so, then give your body time to adjust to making milk, which takes quite a few weeks, about two months. If you are breastfeeding, and you are having trouble with your supply, then please wait an extra little bit before starting exercise.

My smallest one is almost three years old, but I'll be your friend if you want..... :-)
  • ksaranya
    ksaranya Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi there
    I have a 1 yr old. 3 weeks is too early to start isnt it? Give it atleast 6 wks before you start exercsing. Start by going for walks. Nurse. Slowly add elliptical and before you know it you will be back in shape!
    Try to do some form of physical activity 30 min EVERY DAY. It goes a long way and gaining back your strenght.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'm just an old mom - my kids are 14, 10, 8 and 4, but feel free to add me.

blessings.
  • lisabrezina1980
    lisabrezina1980 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! My little man is 12 weeks old and being a mom is the best feeling in the world! Time passes by sooo fast make sure you enjoy every minute! Also, I am struggling with staying on track so maybe we can support eachother?
    Try not to be too impatient with trying to get in shape like other's have said start with walking, me and my son used to walk when the weather was a little cooler, he mostly slept but it kept me from going stir crazy. Anyway, congrats again!!!
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 month old :) You can add me, if you like.
    I do lots of walking, and mommy and baby salsa class and 30 Day Shred.

You should not start working out before you are 6 weeks post partum.
    If you are nursing, please make sure you are eating enough (You can add BFing calories on here).
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    I am a Mom to a 4 1/2 month old baby girl. I have lost 53 lbs since I had her in January. Add me, I love to motivate and encourage my friends!! :)
  • Strawberry09
    Strawberry09 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Add me :-) mom to a 4 month old.
  • mum_to_2boys
    Options
    Congratulations :o)

My newest is 1yr old, I would strongly recommend walking, everywhere, with the pram! Power walking, up hills etc But as said 3 weeks is too early, you should be taking it easy until you have had your 6 week all clear check witht he doctor :o) Ive been nursing for 1 year now, and havent lost ANY weight, although for the first 9 months I didnt put any one either despite having a bit of a hit and miss diet. Once you have had the all clear you could see if there were any baby yoga groups in your area, lots of exercises using your baby as the weight lol lifting her etc.. its good exercise and a great way to meet new mums!

x
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    check out the Groups section too- there are a couple there for moms - :)

Also, just like an above poster said, if you are nursing and pumping, you will lose weight much faster, I did. :flowerforyou:
  • danibrnshug
    danibrnshug Posts: 27
    Options
    Just had my second baby almost three months ago and joined mfp about 6 weeks ago, I am nursing and that was not doing anything for me to lose weight, that's why I decided to join this site and get back in shape by working out and eating healthy, feel free to add me! And btw, I am still nursing and pumping. And I was able to keep my milk, my little guy is a chunk! :)
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My baby is 10 mo. and I'm still bfing. I also have a child turning 3 in August.
    I'm also 5'2" and 143 pounds (started at 163). Add me if you want.

I agree to wait on actual exercising till you get the go ahead from doc at 6 week check-up. I know you want your pre-baby body back but it will take time, be patient. ;)
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'll be your fitness pal, my baby boy is 2 1/2 weeks old now and I also have a 4 year old daughter. I am trying to learn from what I didn't do so well after my first pregnancy. With my daughter, I actually gained weight after she was born because I stopped exercising (very hot summer, baby didn't like the stroller, million excuses) and ate like a maniac to keep up my milk supply. Nursing went very well but weight was terrible.

This time, I have been eating plenty for my milk supply (apparently have a lot so far and want to keep it up) but trying not to eat everything in sight (which is hard when you're really hungry as I am when nursing all the time). I have lost all but about 5 pounds of my "baby weight" already from breastfeeding, but I didn't gain a ton to begin with and needed to lose weight before I got pregnant. So now I'm basically back to where I started weight-wise but a lot flabbier and more out of shape.

I am starting to plan what my exercise program is going to be, but as others have said on here, we really shouldn't do much beyond a bit of walking for the first 4-6 weeks or so, after the OB gives us the all clear. I was using the elliptical machine a lot before I got pregnant and doing a walk-to-run program, so I likely will go back to those once I think my body's ready for it. For now, I'm trying to get in family walks in the neighborhood.
  • AmberUptegrove
    Options
    Hi! My baby girl is 6 weeks old and I am ready to get fit again! :)

Before getting pregnant, I was in the process of getting really fit. I was even doing P90X and Insanity back to back every day. Then when I got pregnant, I quit exercising (I had serious morning sickness 24/7 my 1st trimester, then lacked motivation the other 2 trimesters). I also ate all the crap that I could which resulted in me gaining 52 pounds (end weight 232).

I've been exclusively breast feeding with zero exercise and I've already lost 35 pounds. Only 18 to go to get to my pre-pregnancy weight (180) and 58 to go to get to my goal weight (140). Now that I am almost fully healed (I tore on the inside and outside), I am ready to start introducing exercise again. We now go on 30 minute leisurely walks daily, and I'm gonna start doing workout dvds til I can work back up to P90X and Insanity.

So if you need a fitness pal, feel free to add me :)
  • davis22b
    davis22b Posts: 31
    Options
    My daughter is 18 months, but I'm determined to lose it and I am as well 200..well 201 to be exact so feel free to add me and we can motivate each other!
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you want. My son is 20 months old. Every woman is different so maybe check with your doctor to see when you should start exercising, I exercised throughout my entire pregnancy and only took off 1 week after I had him. Every circumstance is different so listen to your body.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I might not fit your criteria my youngest is 14 months, however I couldn't workout until almost 6 months after my son was born. Would love to have other mommy friends :)
  • Miabear722
    Options
    I have a 10 month old so feel free to add me! Also, good for you for wanting to get back into shape so soon! I pretty much sat on my butt for 7 months before joining FP and making a change. Best decision ever! It really does work.