trainer

Options
An acquaintance said, “the only way to get in shape is to have a personal trainer.” Opinions?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont agree. but you do need a plan. trainers are good if you cant find your own plans
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Foolish mortal.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you have never seriously worked out before and don't know many of the exercises, one could be pretty beneficial. You absolutely can do it without one though.
  • TheBigBoots
    TheBigBoots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    dont agree. but you do need a plan. trainers are good if you cant find your own plans

^^^ What she said.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've done just fine without one, but do I think I would have reached my goals sooner with one...probably.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I think a personal trainer would be beneficial because they would motivate you and give you a plan but you can absolutely do it without one you just need to be motivated and have a good plan
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do I think a personal trainer is the only way to get shape? No. Do they help a lot though? Hell yes!

I'm a very lazy person.. Do I want to sit around and figure out what sort of workout I want/need? No.. Do I want some to do it for me? Yes. Thats where the PT comes in....I sit back, and let him do all the figuring out and all I do follow along.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    An acquaintance said, “the only way to get in shape is to have a personal trainer.” Opinions?

Ridiculous. go to the gym and note how many fit people/or people on their way to being fit are working out alone or with a trainer.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    pfffft so false lol i've never stepped foot in a gym and have been told im lookin pretty ripped lately lol
  • andi_everywhere
    andi_everywhere Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual. I tried for years to lose weight on my own, without success. I simply lacked the dedication and drive to make it happen. I would stick with something for a week, maybe two and then give up. Now at 36 years old, I decided THIS was going to be the year I whipped my butt into shape and would do whatever was necessary. I started working with a personal trainer 2 months ago and it was the BEST decision I ever made. I see him 5-6 times a week and he has pushed me harder than I ever could have pushed myself. He makes me do the things I would never do on my own (I'm a freakin' runner now for cryin' out loud!). He holds me accountable for everything I do and everything I eat. In the first month I lost 10 lbs, 10% body fat and 18.5" total inches. I just finished my 2nd month and met my first goal of losing 17 lbs. We haven't done my month 2 measurements/body fat just yet but I'm excited to see those numbers soon! I have never felt better, felt healthier, been stronger, been happier... spending the money on a personal trainer was what worked for me!
  • melissalynn317
    melissalynn317 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with y'all I was just wondering what everyone thought. :)
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    No, not necessary, but a few session with one can help a lot. You do need a plan, and if you a struggling with making one on your own then a PT would be a good help, or if you have perhaps tried and failed a few times, a new sense of direction from a PT, plus guidance and support would be great. I was so clueless before I stared, had I not had my hubs help in the area, and a good frind who is a PT to ask silly questions to, I think I would have enlisted the help of a proper PT, just to help point me in the right direction for my goals.
  • andi_everywhere
    andi_everywhere Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ...and have been told im lookin pretty ripped lately lol

Hell yeah you do! :)
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i was all for using a trainer at my gym.. then i was told it cost about 8 thousand bucks for the year..

ya thanks i will google and get the information that way..

and stalk while they are training others and get tips that way.. i cant afford no 8 grand
  • amber_gem
    amber_gem Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've had four trainers. I don't have them anymore nor would I sign up for another one. They help maybe in the first month with form if you are doing free weights and you aren't familiar with what to do. After that, I think they are a waste unless there is something very specific like an athletic event you want to train for.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I look better than one of the trainers at my local Y.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    necessary? No
    Helpful? YES

I only see mine every 3-4 weeks and she gives me a new routine or tweaks my routine as I progress, for me it's totally worth it because I would rather someone who knows what exercises will benefit me tell me what to do then me spend months trying things and figuring out what works.
  • melissalynn317
    melissalynn317 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty motivated. I've been doing P90x videos and the myfitnesspal ap (obviously) for my nutrition.