Cook-Out turned Cook-In - Sharing my menu

Options
So my family is trying to eat healthier and we're having a cookout (Or really a cook-in since I have no grill) this weekend. I was putting together a menu that we could all live with, so I figured I would share it with you guys.

Zuchini Wraps
Light Cream Cheese with green onions wrapped in thinly sliced 'sheets' of zuchini, painted with garlic infused olive oil, broiled (Better if grilled but like I said, I don't have a grill!)

Chicken, Pineapple, Onion & Pepper Skewers with a pineapple glaze. (Awesome on the grill, but I broil em)

Garlic Lime shrimp Wraps w/garlic lime & cilantro sauce and thinly shredded red cabbage - The wrap is a sesame soy wrap (Used for sushi usually)

Seafood Salad (We usually include pasta in this, but we're nixing it this time around. Just Crab, shrimp, lobster, cuecumber, tomato, light mayo, little sour cream, couple of tablespoons of ranch, lots of old bay)

Sweet & Sour Cabbage (Cause my mom loves it. Totally doesn't fit, but it's awesome, no matter what!)

Skillet Green Beans

And as a desert, A pineapple upside down cake coctail for the grownups. (Essentially, cake vodka, pineapple juice, a splash of merachino cherry juice served over ice.

We'll be having hot dogs for the kids and anyone who for whatever reason doesn't like the above options too, but that's so much less exciting than everything else, and not something i'll be partaking in :P

Anyways. Just thought I would share since I had some spare time in my day.

Replies

• StephiePop
    StephiePop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I will be stealing your skewer idea!
    Also, make me a coctail.. or 8.
  • Jumpinsticks
    Options
    The skewers are great. It's good with shrimp instead of chicken too. Just reduce some pineapple juice for the glaze. Or sometimes I take fresh pineapple chunks and blend it up with it, just gives it something straight juice can't do. Maybe because of the texture.
    And yeah, the drinks are what I'm looking forward to. I'm not a drinker, but I'm fascinated by this cake vodka!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Can I have the recipe for the seafood salad? Sounds divine!
  • Jumpinsticks
    Options
    3-4 cuecumbers, diced (As big as you want. We like them kind of small)
    5-7 Roma or Plum tomatoes, diced (Again, as big as you want)
    1 large package imitation crab meat, diced
    1 bag of jumbo shrimp (Raw, shells on)
    1 cup light mayo (Don't use miracle whip, or salad dressing. Got to be mayo)
    3-4 Tablespoons light ranch dressing
    2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
    Old Bay Seasoning

Boil the shrimp, shells on, with lots of old bay. (IMO you can never have too much!)
    Drain the water off and let them cool, then peel the shells off.
    Dice the shrimp up however big you want. Smaller goes farther in the salad but bigger chunks make it taste better.

Combine all ingredients.
    Taste it. This step is important because some people like lots of old bay, like me, some like less. If you know you love it, I would use at least 2-3 tablespoons... I probably use more than that by the time it's done (Shhh, don't tell anyone!). That seasoning is to taste and I never measure it.

You can add or take away whatever you want. If I'm making it for myself, I'll put bigger pieces of cucumbers and shrimp. Most of my family like onions but Im not a fan in this particular dish. Green onions maybe... I might try that next time with green.
    If you add pasta, you'd probably need more mayo and ranch.

Anyways. Let me know how you like it!
  • Jumpinsticks
    Options
    Oh, by the way that makes a lot of it. So if you want less, just use less of each ingredient! We always have left overs. It's even better next day because all the flavors absorb.