is anyone else scared??

Options
So I've been doing MFP consistently for a little under 3 months and have lost 20 pounds. I just broke through my 1st plateau last week when I lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. The plateau lasted for 3 weeks.

Now my question is, is anybody else scared of plateauing? I weigh myself every saturday, so tomorrow is the day. I've been really good with my calories and I exercise every day for about 45 minutes (counting the walk to the gym :) ) I know I'm being good to myself but I have this irrational fear of not seeing any results.

I haven't been eating back the calories I lost exercising just because I haven't felt the need for it. I'm just not that hungry! That said, I will allow myself to go a little over my calories for the day if I feel like I want it.

Anyway, it is hard to explain. On one hand they tell you to eat back your calories, on the other hand they tell you to only eat if you're hungry. But I'm scared of plateauing because I don't eat enough. I'm REALLY overweight so I think it would take a while for my body to go into starvation mode but who knows.

Any help you guys can offer would be nice!!

Replies

• Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    i am constantly afraid of gaining the weight back, and scared of plateaus too. If you need someone to share with, let me know
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Nope. It is what it is. Nothing to be scared about.

Now a scorpion under your bed, there is something to worry about...
  • onetwentysomething
    onetwentysomething Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared! Plateau's are a natural part of weight loss and just part of life. Just push through and you'll be fine :) And congrats on your success so far!
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am scared. I am scared no matter if I lose whatever, I will still remain the same size.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Do some research on starvation mode. You are not there. Most people will NEVER experience it because your body fat needs to be less than 10%. I usually get slammed for saying this but if starvation mode was true explain anorexia? I am not making fun of ED. They are not cool either way. I am just making a point that if starvation mode existed there would be no such thing.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501
    http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html
    http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/
    http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/truth-starvation-mode
    http://www.adonisindex.com/how-to-get-into-starvation-mode/
  • nbreteil
    nbreteil Posts: 40
    Options
    I can totally relate. I wonder where my 20 pounds went. because even though I can feel a sliiight little difference in my clothes, I haven't noticed a different size. I tried on some pants one size down from before the other day, and they didn't fit :(
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am afraid that I will not meet my goal in the time I have been given.It scares me when I see no progress, I feel like it has been another day wasted and I don't have time for that.
  • WalkingQueen1979
    WalkingQueen1979 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i hear you i am scared i wont be able to lose the 77 lbs i want to i want to do this so bad
  • rldnellor
    rldnellor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't know about scared, but nervous and worry about it, yes. I don't know why? I already have enough stress, but I also lost 20 pounds quickly in less than 3 months and have not budged for 2 weeks now. I am working out and not even eating all my net calories. I am looking for "friends" for support, so if you are interested ask me to be friends. I still have about 15 pounds I'd like to lose. I hope it starts moving again, I am a teacher and want to start next school year as a healthy role model for my 3rd graders.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've had several plateaus, but I consider them to be the time for my body to catch up with my weight loss. I just keep on exercising and counting calories.
  • nbreteil
    Options
    What I did is I didn't give mysel a goal weight or a deadline. I'm just gonna lose weight and see how it goes.. But it still is frustrating to not see results after all the efforts :)
  • ChelleChelle77
    ChelleChelle77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You also need to keep in mind that you are exercising ie. building muscle. You may not be losing pounds because you are gaining muscle. That is why it is also helpful to take measurements. May not lose weight but might still lose inches! :wink:
  • nbreteil
    Options
    Yes! I just started measuring myself last week! I'm excited to see if I see results on this :)
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I went through this. I just started telling myself to keep doing what I was doing no matter what happened I would be okay -- if it ain't broken, don't fix it. As you progress in your fitness journey your thoughts will evolve, your knowledge will expand, and you will continue to figure it out. Take it one day at a time.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I go 3-4 weeks without losing and then drop 5-6 pounds in a week. It still scares me, but, I've resigned myself to the fact that this is what my body does.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am horrified every morning when I step on the scale that it wont move down. Even if it is .2 pounds I am happy as long as it doesnt got up or stay the same. I am obessive with weighing myself.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are saying. Before I never cared that I was fat...now I am so scared I will never get rid of the fat. Right now I feel 1000% better but then I look in the mirror and I am still fat. Fat fat fat everywhere!!! So scared it will never go away!
    I am scared. I am scared no matter if I lose whatever, I will still remain the same size.
  • jgarrity2
    jgarrity2 Posts: 5
    Options
    Not scared, exactly, but frustrated because I don't seem to be losing AT ALL! I eat less calories, have more calories at the end of the day that I have not used, yet the weight does not come off. However, if I stop this, I will never progress. I have some heart issues (two metal valves and a stent, in addition to an ICD/Pacemaker) so cannot afford to be inactive. Heart is now strong, and defibrillator has not fired in over a year. But with the Type 2 diabetes in the mix, not sure where to go from here.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    nope not scared, it's like being afraid of a thunderstorm .

weight loss int always linear and generally speaking once we get to certain weights, our bodies will resist losing weight because even though it's 2012 and many of us have easy access to food the body still functions the same as it did hundreds of thousands of years ago when food wasnt so plentiful and humans needed extra weight in order to survive through times when there was less food.