bmr question

Options
so if my bmr says i burn about 1200 calories a day...but my goals have me at 1700 for a day...and my intake is set for 1200 per day...should I actually eat less, or am I really burning that extra 500 calories through my normal daily activities (I'm set to lightly active b/c of work) ?

Replies

• baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    You really are burning those extra calories throughout the course of the day. Walking, stairs, talking, etc., all burns calories. :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Go to your goals page and you can see how MFP calculated your calorie goal.

When you see "Calories burned through normal daily activity", that is taking into account your BMR + calories of your normal workday.

When you first joined MFP, you were asked to select an activity level that represented your normal workday. These calories are added to your BMR to calculate your "Calories burned through normal daily activity."

From that number, MFP determines your daily calorie goal, which is 500 calories less than your "calories burned through normal daily activity" to lose 1 lb per week.

This is why you log your exercise as you perform it at MFP and are encouraged to eat those exercise calories. Your deficit is already built into the way MFP calculated your daily calorie goal.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about the BMR...that is how many calories you'd need if you were in a coma for 24 hours.

MFP takes your information, including the activity level you entered, and determines your daily calorie burn. Then it determines what you need to eat to lose at the rate you wanted.

Go to MY HOME/GOALS and you will see this information on the right hand side.

My suggestion is to do what MFP tells you to do for a few weeks. If it doesn't work, then you can try to tweak the system.
  • leelee03
    leelee03 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone : )