How long have you maintained? Inspire me!

Options
It took me 5 months to reach my weight goal and cut my body fat % in half.. Now I've been maintaining for 3 months but it's very anticlimactic when the scale doesn't move. It's hard to stay motivated and some days I am even doubtful that I'll be able to stay at my goal weight. I'm concerned that I'll end up back where I was.

I need some inspiration and I'm just curious. If you reached your goal weight, how long have you maintained it? I'd love to hear that people actually were able to keep the weight off for a long, long period time.

I want this to be a permanent change. Inspire me!

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Would like to, but I gained a bunch in November when I had surgery and then had to go on steriods for a severe allergic reaction (I nearly died - lucky me, hubby has pics of me looking like I'm going to). Until then I'd held steady for about a year. Working my way back down again.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    maintaining a 23-25 pound loss for 2 years and counting took about 8 months to lose it (not from MFP though, here I've only lost 6 so far)
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    My goal 2 years ago was 125 and I got down to 127. I maintained that for a little under a year. On Jan 1 of this year, I just wanted to get more definition and that is when I lost another 10 -12 pounds. I would say I have maintained and improved on it for 2 years now and I don't see how I can go back to where I was before.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know the anti climatic feel. I'm close to goal again (keep losing the same 15 lbs over and over again). My advice for you (and myself) is set some new goals. Whether a fitness goal (more defined muscles) or something else, I think a new goal to strive for might keep you(and eventually me) from becoming complacent.
  • RickMckc
    RickMckc Posts: 38
    Options
    I lost about 30 pounds fairly easily (6 months) but the last 7 have been much slower (3 months), though my bodyfat % continues to drop.

I've recently decided to raise calories to the level I would need to eat at my goal weight (about 300-400 more than MFP shows I need to eat to lose at my current weight) and stop obsessing. However long it takes from this point is however long it takes. I actually lost 1.5lbs since deciding to do that!

The long-term goal for me is to never again be unaware of how much I am eating. I will be keeping track of calories from now on and, of course, staying under the target. 1800 net calories is a LOT of food if you don't spend it all on cookies. :)

It's hard, but keep your focus on the long-term. Slow and steady may not win the race, but it will get you there.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I've been about the same weight my entire adult life except for pregnancies (gained over 50# each time and lost each time), and then about 2 years ago I had gained about 15 "mystery" lbs. (long story on my profile if you're interested) I lost that 15 lbs. over about 6 mos and have been maintaining ever since.

2 months ago I started heavy weight training, so I have gained 3 lbs. I expect to continue to gain a bit while adding muscle mass.

I am hoping to significantly reshape my body over the next 6 -12 mos, becoming leaner and more muscular. As long as I achieve the results I'm hoping for, I will not care that the scale goes up.

You may be interested in checking out this amazing lady, Staci, who went from 170# to 117# and then started lifting heavy and went to 131# and eventually 142# and now has a kicka$$ lean body.

I'll take that 142# if I can get it -- it will be drastically different than the 142# I had about 18 mos. ago. (Staci is my height, though much younger :/)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

blessings.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for a couple of months now.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Maintained my current weight for 18+ months. (took 6 months to lose 30lbs)

Still working on losing a few pounds and toning up a bit more 8)
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    This only kind of applies, but I got really sick last October and was not cleared for exercise until Feb. There were a lot of days that I moved from the bed to couch back to bed. I ate at maintenance in general but we had Thanksgiving, Christmas, both of my kids + my Mom's and my own birthdays, new years etc. when all was said and done I had gained 5 lbs that came right off. When I started exercising again my muscles seemed to be back at full strength within a workout or two.

I was not any where near my goal weight when I got sick, but I was very impressed with how my body behaved. I hope this helps.:flowerforyou:
  • OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    There was recently a podcast on NPR about dieting and the man who wrote the book that was the theme said that the 2 hard parts of dieting for him was -

1. How self righteous dieting made him towards other people who don't diet or don't diet the same way he did

and

2. How hard it was to continue motivation for maintenance when there is no scale moment, no more cheering from the friends. The stasis was very difficult for him.

I am worried about maintenance myself. I know that I currently only have like a 300 or 400 calorie deficit so that is not a lot more then what I am eating now. I worry dieting is easier for me then the process of maintenance.

I am so happy for my body the way it is now. I still have a few more pounds to goal weight, but I feel so good when my body is this weight. However, it makes me sad to think that I might not be able to intuitively eat or just to not make food such a focus of my daily energy. I hope someday that I won't have to journal every day.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Took me 1.5 years to lose 80lbs!... Maintained it off for 3.5...

Been using this site for about 2 of those years but really been back in it and totally committed since this Month LOL.and I'm finally 'finishing this journey'. And so far this month I have worked out all but 7 days and lost almost 5 lbs!..

2 of those years of maintenance were REALLY crazy years of my life.. but I managed to somehow, keep to my new eating and mostly stay away from junk.. At one point I lose more weight but it was unhealthy, after a bad break up weight loss.. And it all came back on when I meet my wonderful man :)...

But now that life has settled and I have his 100%backing and support, and as he puts it " I have a few pounds to lose myself".. were both taken the last few pounds off together :) And for me toning a few areas so I can's rock the bikini!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/340559-update-photo-s

there's my before and during...

KEEP AT IT!
  • OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    I know the anti climatic feel. I'm close to goal again (keep losing the same 15 lbs over and over again). My advice for you (and myself) is set some new goals. Whether a fitness goal (more defined muscles) or something else, I think a new goal to strive for might keep you(and eventually me) from becoming complacent.

I think it is really important for me. I need strive towards something or I just fizzle out. (fizzle out sideways, lol)
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

I think it is really important for me. I need strive towards something or I just fizzle out. (fizzle out sideways, lol)

Yes, this is key. An important focus for me now that I want to maintain this weight is just to keep my body toned and defined. I also think the fact that I want to maintain and enjoy life (totally doable) is a goal to keep in mind.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds starting in January ending in the beginning of April and have maintained since then. It's not hard to stay motivated when you make other goals. I'm focusing more on strength and such now. It's nice being at a good weight because now I can kind of play with things a little bit... I'm starting to lift heavy now. I might eat at a surplus for a while, see what happens. It's nice to not have to worry so much about it and be able to eat more.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Yes, this is key. An important focus for me now that I want to maintain this weight is just to keep my body toned and defined. I also think the fact that I want to maintain and enjoy life (totally doable) is a goal to keep in mind.

^This. I had been maintaining for years... since high school. The only times gained weight were my two pregnancies. With that said, I wasn't happy with my body. I was flabby. Now that my body is more defined, I want to maintain it. For me, I work on different goals. At first, it was to be less flabby. Right now, I am working on being able to do a pull up. I want to run a 5k and an obstacle race in the future. I want to keep increasing the weight that I can lift. I also want to see how far my body can go, as in more definitions.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I agree that maintaining is anti-climactic. I recommend you keep going! Set new fitness goals for yourself! Run a marathon! Set a new PR on your favorite weight exercise! Trade some body fat for muscle (get "toned")!
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am in awe of all of you, good job! I've been on this site dieting since march and have only gained weight! I am currently trying to reset my metabolism. Sure hope this works for me.

Congratulations maintenance sounds so much better than dieting because you can
    eat more!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs in a little over a year and maintained it for 4 years. When I quit work, my activity level immediately and dramatically changed and I didn't take that into account. I gained 12lbs in a month! It was so fast, I didn't have time to blink. Then I was moving to another country. Honestly, I allowed myself to go on vacation. It's a common reaction to those deployed here. I knew it and accepted it and really don't regret it. It's my first time out of the country. It is what it is. I maintained my 20lb gain for a year and woke up one day and decided I now live here and it's time to get back on track. Viola, I'm well on my way to losing it. I have confidence that I will maintain it again.

Wanna hear something even better? It turns out to be the best thing ever! Why? I was skinny fat. Had I not needed to lose again, I wouldn't have the current victories that I do now. For the first time in my life I am committing to regular exercise. I never thought this non-exercise person would turn out to embrace it as much as I have. That's freeing and it's great! What changed? Simple. My mindset.

Not only am I now looking at body composition, I have all kinds of really cool non scale victories that have more to do with my body's ABILITIES than just what I look like.