Have you tried the Biggest Loser diet?

Options
coconutbuNZ
coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
This is basically it:
4 x fruit/veg
3 x protein
2 x wholegrains (i.e. carbs, potato etc)
1 x extra for fats, oil, sugar, alcohol (equivalent to 200 cals).

I've been failing badly lately so this is a new start for me.

What's your opinion, is it a good thing or not?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Nobody?
  • myoldselfback
    myoldselfback Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but it sounds alot like the L.A. weight loss diet I paid $800 to belong I guess alot was the support they offer with 2-3 weekly visits (weigh ins) you lose an average of 2.5 lbs a week on it. It does work and you get real food at least I never got the maintenance part though, got pregnant with my 4th and then the chain closed! The initial weight loss part does work though. If you hit a plateau all they did was give you a super packed fruit juice to drink twice a day and you cut out all of your carbs and sugars to I think ( either than the fruit) for 2 days and it seems to get you back on track too. Hope this helps
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Just eat the calorie allotment MFP gives you. You don't need any gimmicky diet.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that any trend diet is bad. I believe as long as your getting your adequate amount of all your macros and eating a good variety of whole foods then you should be fine if your staying within your calories. I prefer to eat the foods I like making sure all the numbers come out ok. That way I can still have the foods I like added in daily. I don't believe in following a specific 'diet.'
  • PhenomeNae
    PhenomeNae Posts: 130 Member
    Options

this!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    If your diet has an actual name, chances are it's a waste of time and money.

Also, the way they lose weight on Biggest Loser is not healthy AT ALL. They are essentially starving their bodies by eating only around 800 calories/day and working out 6+ hours/day...that's why they're heavily supervised by medical personnel. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Smaller portions of clean healthy food (not "healthy" food like processed packaged 100 calorie snack packs and frozen meals), plenty of water, and a moderate amount of exercise will get you the results you're looking for safely and effectively and you'll be much more likely to keep it off.
  • nikki_1979
    nikki_1979 Posts: 57
    Options
    I know that some people require a little more structure than just being told to stay below a certain number of calories. (I'm one of them). If this is the case for you, then it seems pretty sound to build your calories up out of that structure. Just remember calories are the more important thing. if you need to use those daily servings as a "scaffolding" to get to your daily calories then go for it!
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This is basically it:
    4 x fruit/veg
    3 x protein
    2 x wholegrains (i.e. carbs, potato etc)
    1 x extra for fats, oil, sugar, alcohol (equivalent to 200 cals).

I've been failing badly lately so this is a new start for me.

What's your opinion, is it a good thing or not?
    Thanks in advance

Looks good! It leaves a lot to your own interpretation, I know you were just giving it a quick summary. I believe it would fit nicely with this site. Certainly does great for them! I love Biggest Loser! :drinker:
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I tried it and I just didn't feel well. But that's just me. It might work for someone else.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

This. ^^^^^^

This weight loss thing is not that complicated. Just do the above stated quote with some exercise and everything else(carbs, minis, macros, protein, fiber, carbs and all the rest of that jazz) will eventually fall into place.

It ain't rocket science. It's just a diet.
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^ this
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

I agree with her second sentence. But regarding the first, you don't need to blindly trust whatever calorie/macro goal that MFP gives you.
  • weightwatchers2
    Options
    yes I have been on the biggest loser plan again diet is an awful word it's a way of life and I did awesome on it. It helped me physically but not mentally in that I needed to fix me inside on why I over ate. I have almost conquered that now I have most of their recipe books and their workout videos. It's not a gimmicky diet as some people say it's a way of life.