35lbs down. no one noticed....

Options
Except my wonderful boyfriend. I know I should not allow others opinions/ compliments to validate my healthy lifestyle change BUT I'm so guilty of feeling discouraged by this. Maybe its because I love flattering others. I'm a stylist so I love making others feel fantastic. :::sigh::: sorry for the first world problem. Just needed to vent. Maybe someone else has encountered this?I really thought someone would notice going from 14/12 to 8/6

Replies

• candiliza
    candiliza Posts: 77
    Options
    Wow! What an accomplishment! I haven't had anyone really notice my change, but I also have a lot to lose (which is why I think no one can really tell) don't let others take away from this moment! You're no longer plus size! I can't wait to be able to say the same :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes it's hard to comment on someone's weight loss without implying that they were "fat" before. I'm sure people have noticed and just felt unsure about how/if they should say something. Maybe if you open the door by talking about clothes shopping or going to the gym you will get more encouragement.

I have a friend who has lost a TON of weight in the last year, but gets totally weird and defensive if people ask her about it.
  • kathleenhothem
    kathleenhothem Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you both!!! When you are least expecting it someone will notice. We do not take the time to say what we see & support each other. Someone will notice soon however, the person who needs to notice most is you. Keep up the good work. Post some pictures so week can notice and congratulate you!!!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24 lbs. and only my hubby and my folks, have noticed. I find it discouraging too. Congratz on your loss! thats fantastic
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    Wow! What an accomplishment! I haven't had anyone really notice my change, but I also have a lot to lose (which is why I think no one can really tell) don't let others take away from this moment! You're no longer plus size! I can't wait to be able to say the same :)
    thank you for your support! Please take my advice and take a million before pics at a million different angles! Lil I regret not doing so because my brain is still plus sized and I'm having incredible difficulty seeing change when I look into the mirror! I think the transition would have been easier with photos! Bug I digress. Don't give up if my lazy unathletic *kitten* can squeeze into a 6 ANYONE can!!!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! While you/I don't want to draw attention to oursleves we still LOVE a compliment!

I do agree with another poster- sometimes people are afraid to comment in fear of offending.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes it's hard to comment on someone's weight loss without implying that they were "fat" before. I'm sure people have noticed and just felt unsure about how/if they should say something. Maybe if you open the door by talking about clothes shopping or going to the gym you will get more encouragement.

I have a friend who has lost a TON of weight in the last year, but gets totally weird and defensive if people ask her about it.

She is totally right. Its kind of a sensitive subject. But let me just say any loss is great but 35lbs down is fantastic!!! you look amazing, love the back pic ;-)
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Oh -- I feel your pain! I'm telling you, even though I've only lost 10 pounds, I'm SHORT!! Someone should NOTICE!!

But, let me tell you, I think you're a superstar and that your accomplishment deserves skywriting and sonnets and many a happy dance.

You are amazing!!!
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    I just want to thank everyone for your replies. It means so much. You've improved my spirits immensely. Please know you've all helped someone tonight. Sincerely thanks
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Plus, your ink is breath-taking.
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    Losing 30 is my initial goal, go you for losing 35! Maybe tell a few people...it isn't bragging, it is a big life update! Then they'll know you're comfortable talking about it, like others have said, people might just want to be polite.
  • katykosto
    katykosto Posts: 80
    Options
    You look great, love the tattoo....I hope to get down to a size 7 pants for the first time ever....
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
    Weight is sort of a sensitive topic for many people to talk about, but I'm surrounded by people who have no shame in talking about other people's weight. I gotten plenty of compliments from my family and friends when I came home from college this summer, BUT when I was heavier and my weight would fluctuate by a couple of pounds (literally 2 pounds!) they'd say something too: "Did you gain weight? You looked better before."
  • Peachycherries
    Peachycherries Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!
    That is FANTASTIC!!!!
    I know the hard work and dedication it takes!!
    You look beautifuL!
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The last time I lost weight (before the obvious gain-back), I was down 32 lbs and no one other than DH and close friends noticed. The people I worked with day in and day out never said a word until we had new photos taken for our employee badges. The guy taking our pics said something to the effect of, "wow, you look like you've lost some weight since the last photo." It wasn't until seeing a before and after pic right next to each other that it was obvious. I think for people who see us every day, the loss is so gradual that they don't notice as quickly as someone who hasn't seen us in a while does. Plus, in a work environment, especially a very busy one, just because people are looking at you daily doesn't mean they're really seeing you. But,like with my friend, I hadn't been too social during that time; working a lot of overtime and helping my grandma out after my grandpa passed so they didn't see me for a few months so the difference was obvious as soon as they did see me.