To get a scale, or not to get a scale.

Options
That is the true question!

I understand that the ENTIRE goal of this process is to loose weight; but I have mixed emotions about getting a scale for my apartment.

Why I would like to have one:
I would like to be informed of my weight. If I were to get a scale, I would get a digital one, so I could see if I lost a .X of a pound, and I feel that it would motivate me in a significant matter. To see 222.9 on Monday morning and to see 222.3 on Tuesday morning would give me encouragement that I am making a difference. Logging my weight loss is also a key motivation factor too.

Why I would not like to have one:
I don't want to know my weight. If I were to get a scale, I would be able to see my weight loss. For example, If I lost ten lbs, (which so far I have) I might rationalize a binge, "Well, since I lost ten pounds, I can definitely go and eat at Golden Corral. And since I'll be having Golden Corral, It won't matter what I eat for dinner, and so fourth" I also think that not having a scale would also help in the fact that muscle weighs more than fat, and if I noticed that I had gained weight, I might get discouraged. The way I would be able to see a difference in my body is measurement wise and in the size of my clothes.

I'm completely torn between the too, and any kind of opinion or advice will definitely help!
Thanks!!
xoxo

Replies

• Valwash
    Valwash Posts: 6
    Options
    I can tottally relate, but what works for me is I try and have my mom hide my scale so I can only check my self once a week because your weight can fluctuate due to water weight and other factors. So if you do get one try having a supportive friend hide it for you.
  • Stallion_Duck007
    Options
    Okay thanks! That sounds like great advice and I can have the best of both worlds! :)
  • smj887
    smj887 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy so YMMV, but I've gone from a little over 300 pounds to a pretty-healthy-for-my-height 200.4 this morning. I lost ~30 pounds over 5 months (~1.5/week) before getting a scale, and ~70 pounds over 6 months (~2.9/week) after getting one and adding MFP to the mix about 30 pounds ago.

The way I saw it is similar to the first part of your post. I weighed and weigh myself every day. Little gains keep me encouraged and keep me pressing harder; minor setbacks light a fire. I never viewed anything as "well I lost 10 pounds," it was always "I still have X amount of pounds to lose." I think that in general, most people are better off owning a scale.

Good luck.
  • RoosMommy01
    RoosMommy01 Posts: 88
    Options
    I say don't get one!! :laugh:

Seriously though, my husband and I would go once a month to the mall and weight ourselves on the scale at GNC. I would work my butt off for that whole month and be excited when we went to the mall so I could see how much I lost. Then gas started getting high and we didn't want to go anymore so we invested in a scale for the house.

I step on that stupid thing every single day, sometimes 5-6 times a day!!! If I lose weight (even a tiny bit) then I'm hyper and wanna keep going but if I gain then it puts me in a slump.

I only log my weigh in once a week though and I only take the reading in morning when I first wake up. Just a few days ago I took the battery out of mine and put it in my safe and gave my husband the key so he could take it to work with him. That way I can't stand on it anymore.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Hiding one's head in the sand does not make an enemy go away. A scale is a tool.. It is only one tool and not even the best tool. Yet it is essential in body fat calculations and such. By all means, get this tool. As for the other, you are the best defense. Think about this. Let's say that you find a great restaurant so you decide to eat there more. You think... This food is healthy so I am ok eating here ... You don't realize it but you are gaining weight.... The scale provides that needed feedback to show that what you are doing is counter productive....
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I use the wii fit once a week to weigh myself. For me once a week keeps me motivated but not obcessed.
    The answer to your question is "to know yourself"
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    A kitchen scale for your food is more important than a scale to weigh yourself, in my opinion.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    id say if you get one try to stick with weekly weighing yourself so you dont get discouraged with small fluctuations. if youre someone who tends to obsess over the numbers it might be best to just do measurements instead. good luck! :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I used to just weigh myself once a week at the gym. Kept me sane and informed.
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    Get a scale if you think it'll help you track your weight.

And forget about the whole muscle weighs more than fat thing. Yes, it does. But your goal weight is probably based on an average healthy weight, and that includes both fat and muscle.
  • Cresentsharps
    Cresentsharps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same situation, i'm moving into a new apartment next month or so, and i'm thinking about getting a scale. To tell the honest truth i'm scared silly to even think of what it will say when i first weigh in cause i haven't actually had a scale in over 5 years now so i've been baseing my weight off of what i last remember it being. So all in all, i'm not even sure how much i weigh. I think that's the biggest reason why i'm getting a scale...
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    scale it up!
  • watchtheworld
    Options
    I get a scale but I don't use it often... You could get a measuring tape?