cheat days/cheat meals

Options
Recently started back onto MyFitnessPal and love it! However, I am so close to goal, its about to bit me in the butt! I am very strict and I feel like I have deprieved myself of things. I hate going out to resturants, parties, and friends because counting everything has consumed on me! What is everyone's take on cheat meals/days and do you still lose weight with them in your diet? Thanks for eevryone's thoughts and opinions on here :)

Replies

• ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    Personally if I didnt allow myself some cheat days I would have fallen off the wagon a long time ago. I treat myself alot, but I always make sure I stay within my calorie goal, only going over on true cheat days. This may not work for everyone, but for me I know if I talk myself out of having that piece of chocolate I will wind up eating it and then some if I deprive myself of it. I believe everything in moderation won't hinder my progress, 80% of the time I am good with my diet. LOG everything though, even cheat days it makes you accountable I also keep my diary open so that my friends call me on it if I stray too far.

Feel free to add me for support, I am on every day.
  • jennetsullivan
    jennetsullivan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation, including moderation. My problem is that I have to have strict rules or I go crazy and eat a bag of chips and 2 milky way bars a day (you think I'm joking...). So I am trying the following approach - I can either splurge for 1 meal and not count anything (calories, fat, etc) or I can splurge for a whole day and have to count it on MFP. There are PLENTY of people out there that say eating a larger-than-normal meal EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE can actually be good for your metabolism. However, if you spend the whole day doing it I think your body will try to "readjust" to that way of eating and you'd be liable to start losing your progress. I hope that makes sense :)
  • mlbrowninsc
    mlbrowninsc Posts: 22
    Options
    I follow a 80/20 plan myself. I am very strict on my calorie count and exercise routine five days a week. Then the weekends are mine! I take the weekends off from the gym, don't count all my calories, and if I want to go I do. For example, last weekend I went to Red Robin and had a bacon cheeseburger, two rounds of fries and Sunday went to the movies, large popcorn etc. I was back to plan Monday with no junk food for the most part and an average of 1500 calories a day and three workouts during the week. I lost 3.2 lbs for the week. I have been doing it that way since I started and it has worked for me. As with everything, your mileage may vary. I have averaged 1-2 lbs per week with cheat meals/days every week. For me it's unrealistic to expect to stay strict 7 days a week.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't have what I consider cheat days and cheat meals. I simply aim to stick within my calories, and I aim to make a better choice whenever I eat out or have takeaway.

Once, I might have had pie and chips from a pub, now I have a chicken wrap or chicken breast burger. Once, I might have gone for a medium pizza from the store/takeaway, now I seek out the ones with extra-thin bases, or the ones specifically made with low calories (Weight Watchers, Pizza Express Gustosa, Pizza Hut Pizzetta).

I'm losing slowly, but I've never deprived myself and have no concerns when my fiance tells me we're having a takeaway (like tonight) or when someone invites us out. Mostly, I stay right on track with my calories finding a suitable choice anywhere. If not, I don't take it to heart - one meal won't kill me.
  • dthrnm12
    dthrnm12 Posts: 3
    Options
    You can still lose weight if you have a cheat meal. You just have to remember not to go overboard with the meal. I think a healthy diet should combine everything you love to eat, just in moderation. I eat lots of veggies, fruits, and I drink a ton of water on most days but I occasionally will have a cheat meal to satisfy my cravings. If you are really craving fried chicken for instance, fry a thin boneless, skinless chicken breast in a little olive oil and make a healthy side. I am still learning and discovering new things every day but this has worked for me and I have lost 15 lbs in 4 weeks.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Personally if I didnt allow myself some cheat days I would have fallen off the wagon a long time ago. I treat myself alot, but I always make sure I stay within my calorie goal, only going over on true cheat days. This may not work for everyone, but for me I know if I talk myself out of having that piece of chocolate I will wind up eating it and then some if I deprive myself of it. I believe everything in moderation won't hinder my progress, 80% of the time I am good with my diet. LOG everything though, even cheat days it makes you accountable I also keep my diary open so that my friends call me on it if I stray too far.

For me...I pretty much eat the same net cals everyday to get to my target...

If I know I am going to be going out partying or eating and drinking...I have a light breakfast....and drink lot's of water during the day...I may have a half scoop of protein mid day....so when the night comes...I can wild out on what ever I want....and still be within my Net cal targets
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Recently started back onto MyFitnessPal and love it! However, I am so close to goal, its about to bit me in the butt! I am very strict and I feel like I have deprieved myself of things. I hate going out to resturants, parties, and friends because counting everything has consumed on me! What is everyone's take on cheat meals/days and do you still lose weight with them in your diet? Thanks for eevryone's thoughts and opinions on here :)

Sounds like you are letting your diet control you vs the other way around. The long term trend is what's important, a day here and there of actually going over your maintenance isn't going to hurt things, if you can get yourself back on track
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It is good to have a cheat day, with more calories than normal. It will boost your metabolism! If you eat the same amount of calories for a long period of time, your body will get used to it and it will be hard to loose.

Just do a littel more exercise the next day.

Yo yo your calories and exercise, keep your body guessing!!!!!!
  • kdetmar
    kdetmar Posts: 13
    Options
    Personally, I like the idea of a "cheat meal" rather than a day. I going to try and fit this into my lifestyle. I have to stop thinking of it as a diet, and learn it as a lifestyle change :)
  • kdetmar
    kdetmar Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!
  • Cassandraemilyann
    Cassandraemilyann Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I started at first, I was very strict. 1200 calories and no less then 60 minutes of cardio a day. And no matter what I always ended up binge eating, and end up giving in for a few days. Then back to strict dieting and repeating. So instead I allow myself one day every two weeks at least. Usually a saturday, or a day I have planned to go out, it just helps me diet go a littlle smoother when I have a day to look forward to. I always upped my calories so I wouldn't feel so deprived through the week. ;)
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    when i first started last august, i had a cheat meal once per month. that is: i ate ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING i wanted one meal per month. soda, chili dogs, cheeseburger, fries, etc. i lost 40 lbs. i am now STUCK in a plateau for the past 3 months and have stopped having cheat meals. if i "cheat" it will be to eat an extra banana or have an extra protein shake for the day. i have lost 2.6 lbs since i've stopped the cheat meals. (and stopped alcohol, too, i must add.)
  • nancycw64
    nancycw64 Posts: 14
    Options
    I had a bacon sandwich for breakfast, so I guess today is my cheat day!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I always try to treat myself to something special each day. I plan for it, make sure there are enough calories available for it, and savor it! As someone else said (sorry, I can't remember who!): you can't let your diet control you--especially not if you're changing a way of life (instead of dieting). Denying yourself food you enjoy may just cause you to go overboard when you finally do get a chance to eat the food.

Keep up the good work!
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

For me...I pretty much eat the same net cals everyday to get to my target...

If I know I am going to be going out partying or eating and drinking...I have a light breakfast....and drink lot's of water during the day...I may have a half scoop of protein mid day....so when the night comes...I can wild out on what ever I want....and still be within my Net cal targets

Yea, make sure to drink water while ur drinking alcoholic beverages lol
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Sounds like you are letting your diet control you vs the other way around. The long term trend is what's important, a day here and there of actually going over your maintenance isn't going to hurt things, if you can get yourself back on track

Exactly! My bigger concern for you isn't the cheat days, but what happens when you hit your goal? While you've been taking the weight off, you should also have been learning how to make balanced choices. By now you should have a pretty good idea of the calorie content of most things, so it should no longer consume you. What's your favorite treat? Chocolate? Ice cream? Whatever it is, work into your diet on a regular basis so you don't feel deprived. But have just a small amount, and sit and take the time to savor it. Being healthy isn't about deprivation. It's about balance. If you don't learn how to do this, it really will come back and bite you in the butt!!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days/meals. I incorporate "cheat" foods every day. I understand the bad foods/restriction thing and the guilt that comes along with straying from healthy things. I started thinking about what was going to happen to me once I hit my goal. Was I still going to be like that? Would I flip out and undo everything I had accomplished? Was I ever going to be good enough, to me? Was I still going to look in the mirror and find fault, pick myself apart? What am I doing this for if no matter what I'm still not happy or able to feel confident that one piece of chocolate wasn't the beginning of the slippery slope to where I was? I couldn't stand the thought of that. It made me sad to think of myself that way.

To fix it, I started making tiny changes. I bought a dark chocolate bar, ate a small piece and felt guilty as hell. But that was okay. I only ate a small piece. The next day I did it again, sorted out the guilt in my head, repeat. It's mild immersion therapy. I still have things I won't eat but I don't feel guilt over the things I do. I can go to a restaurant. I choose carefully and I don't eat a ton, but I can go. Take baby steps. Ignore the fear. Work yourself through the negative thoughts a tiny piece at a time. The comfort with where you are and peace with your choices will come. I wish you the best!