How many calories do I eat? TDEE/BMR confusion.

Options
I apologize in advance to be another person to post a similar question. I have read and read other questions and responses, but I am still struggling in figuring this all out.

I have a bodybugg so I know my TDEE is 2050 calories burned total without exercise on a day that I would say watch tv on the couch all day.

BMR: 1585
TDEE: 2050 (without exercise)
TDEE: 2450 (includes 400 extra exercise calories)
TDEE -20% = 1970 to consume on non-workout days.

How many calories do I eat on normal workout days? 1970 is what to consume on non-workout days or can it be always? Do I set MFP to 1970 and make sure my net does not go lower than my BMR of 1585, assuming I have a high calorie burn exercising?

I’m worried/scared about eating more to weigh less, so if I can have some support about this, I would so appreciate it.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your math...

If your TDEE on a non-workout day is 2050, 80% of that is 1640. And 80% of 2450 is 1960.
  • jts10
    jts10 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm totally with you. I calculated my BMR to be 1374.14, but MFP puts me down at 1240. I guess this is all wrong.

I typically exercise 3-5 days a week, more like 5, so I usually burn at least 300-400 calories in a work out session. I really think I'm not eating enough either.

I think I'm going to at least change MFP to 1374 calories for my non-work out days to cover my BMR. If anyone knows what's up, I'd love to hear it too! :)

Thanks!
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your math...

If your TDEE on a non-workout day is 2050, 80% of that is 1640. And 80% of 2450 is 1960.

The math is correct. According to my bodybugg, I burn 2050 if I watch tv (I went back and checked the data on days I really did just read/study/watch tv with NO exercise).

With exercise moderately, my TDEE is 2450 (I used a TDEE calculator and did reflect on my bodybugg data).

My BMR is 1585 according to fitness frog.

Anyway, if anyone can help... please let me know if I should eat my BMR plus exercise calories or what. I'm confused!
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A previous poster already answered your question. She wasn't questioning your numbers, she was questioning the math you used to figure out your calories on non-workout days (which you said was 1970). Using the numbers your body bugg gave you..your sedentary TDEE is 2050. It's suggested that you eat 20% below your TDEE, which = 1640, NOT 1970 like you posted. You should eat 1640 on non-workout days and 1960 on workout days. Hope that helps!
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just to point out..when she answered your question, she was assuming your math was correct and that 1970 was, in fact, 20% less than your TDEE...which is incorrect. 20% less than your TDEE on sedentary days is 1640. You could safely eat 1640 on non workout days and 1960 on workout days without having too large of a deficit. If you eat 1970 every day your deficit will be smaller and it will take you longer to lose. Try whichever option you want, if it doesn't work, try the other!
  • lilmisslanna
    lilmisslanna Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks jlr_12 ... I was a bit confused too, but you cleared it up. I too have a body bugg and I am upping calories as well and have been trying to figure this out
    : )