How to determine proper weight

Options
How much should a person weigh? Not "I'd lke to lose 10 pounds," but "What is the proper wieght for me?"

Where do I look? The lfe insurance tables say lose 32 pounds. I would look really thin (some would ask if I had an ED I think), but I suspect that's how a healthy person looks? I assume the life insurance companeis are tellng me I will live longest at that weight.

How have those of you who have reached that weight determined whwere to stop?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I stopped when I looked good.
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think it is finding the weight that has you feeling healthy and looking healthy. I am 6 feet tall and the "ideal" body weight (according to the internet and doctors) is between 160-190. When I had a personal trainer, he laughed when I told him that. He said that with my body build that would be difficult to attain. I am big boned (and I am not saying that because I am trying to say I am not fat). I have a very stocky built. There is muscle under that fat. I feel that my ideal weight is probably 220. I haven't been that weight in a very long time, since the start of high school, so I can't be sure. So I will have to wait until I get there to find out, because I will get there.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It all depends on body fat, muscle mass, your goals, etc. although I've heard 5' should be 100 pounds and then 5 pounds more for every inch of height.
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A bmi calculator can give you an estimate, but it will vary depending on build, lean muscle mass, etc. For men, a waist in the 32 - 34 in range is probably close to your bmi weight.
  • katykosto
    katykosto Posts: 80
    Options
    Im 5'9'' with a med/large frame so my "healthy weight" is 150ish, thats what my BMI calculator said
  • rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options
    All tables are necessarily estimates for the average person. Probably a reasonable guide. Some research into longevity suggest that a near "starvation" diet correlates with cultures with long lifespans. Begs the question of living to a 100 is worth it, IMHO.

One rule of that makes since for me is the weight in high school. Of course that also is the tables suggest.
  • Melindaleigh12
    Options
    Hmmmm, I guess its how you interpret or maybe what chart you're looking at cuz I'm 5'8 and it said I would be healthy at 164 pounds
  • delta90017
    delta90017 Posts: 64
    Options
    Interesting.

Here are the life insurance tables I mentioned. The weights include 3 pounds of street clothes, one inch heels and, for ages 25-59, the greatest longevity. Note they are adjusted for body frames, whatever those are. Aren't all of our bones about the same? Maybe not.

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/met.htm

These tables tell me to lose 32 pounds. Like the personal-trainer comment above, I can't see it without looking too thin. I suspect too thin is the way we are supposed to look at a healthy weight.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    http://cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Step 1: Find your current body fat% (It doesn't matter how accurate this is, as long as it is consistent so you can monitor progress. I've had bad luck with scale bioelectric impedance giving me completely ridiculous results, so I would recommend buying $5 calipers off amazon. For now, you can just use your measurements and a site like http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-tools/body-fat-percentage.php (that was just the first one on my google search, I have no reason to believe it's any more or less accurate than any others, but different calculators can give you different numbers, so pick one and be consistent)

Step 2: Find your goal bodyfat %. This can be arbitrary, but it will only make a difference of a few pounds anyways body-fat-men.gif or body-fat-women.gif can give you an idea.

Step 3: Click the above link, put in numbers, profit. (I guess that is steps 3-5)

ETA: this is basically using your current bodyfat to find how much lean mass you have, then calculating based on that lean mass and the % fat you want to have, what weight will give you that look.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    your met life site tells me that i need to be 163 at the high range which is about 4 lbs i need to lose, dammit!! oh well everyone have fun getting where they are going:)
  • ahimsamel
    ahimsamel Posts: 4
    Options
    I hear you - my "goal weight" in terms of the average for my age and height etc is 10stone 1pound - I was 15 and a half so figured aiming for the middle of the range was a good goal to set. I got down to about 10.5 stone and people got a bit freaked out saying I looked ill and needed to "stop now" before "it gets dangerous". I battled to stay at that weight but then kind of relaxed a bit and I put some weight back on but with a healthy-ish lifestyle (three decent workouts per week) I seemed to level out at a weight that come right at the top of my healthy BMI range - I was certainly not skinny but it seemed to be the weight my body was comfortable at - (as I say I had to battle to keep to the low weight but if I tip over my new higher weight, say through holiday excesses or whatever, i usually find a quick detox gets me back there pretty painlessly). I know there's no way I could have stuck to the middle of my BMI range without a lot of hassle/deprivation/misery! Reckon you have to just find your "happy-weight" really. :happy: