Vegans

Options
Is anyone else vegan?

Replies

• michellegr88
    Options
    :) There isnt many that is for sure. :) I find it difficult sometimes but mostly it makes me feel amazing.
  • stingraycat
    stingraycat Posts: 33
    Options
    Yeah, I was vegan for a year, lacto-ovo for about a year, vegan for two years, and then lacto-ovo for another two, then pescatarian for a while, now back to Veganism, lol. I think it's going to stick this time because I'm now at a point in my life where only I control what food is in my house. I like doing it because it's so natural and easy to do once you get the hang of it. Honestly, though, if I had a pet chicken, I'd probably start eating eggs (but not chicken!)
  • Fit_SailorsWife
    Fit_SailorsWife Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    me, me, me! :)
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian that eats less dairy and eggs every day. I'm a vegan-leaning vegetarian. :)
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I am hoping to make today the first day of a new vegan lifestyle. I have some B-12 and iron supplements and I am using the Vega WHole Food Health Optimizer for protein and nutrition. Also just ordered the Vega Vanilla protein powder. Saving the planet one animal at a time.
  • stingraycat
    stingraycat Posts: 33
    Options
    I totally understand the vegan-leaning vegetarian thing, and good luck gastankerdriv!

You know, I drank this soy protein supplement today, but once I planned my meals for today, I really didn't even need it. I'm supposed to get about 46 grams of protein a day, and I'm ending up getting 68 g today.
  • rachelmichelle79
    rachelmichelle79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's what I am doing. I was hoping to find others on here doing this.
  • rachelmichelle79
    Options
    Is anyone else vegan?
    I am going/leaning vegan..would be easier if people didn't "push" meat on you even though you tell them daily you are vegan. I am trying to stick with this because I love how it makes me feel. Glad to find other vegans. I am a new convert, so to speak. Have you read any books by Kathy Freston?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Vegan here! :)
  • woopidydoo
    woopidydoo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. :)
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am plant powered. :)

I like Vega One, and also Lifetime Life's Basics which has hemp, brown rice, and chia. Less expensive than Vega, but not quite as tasty.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I have been slowly switching to the lif style ans leaning towards the low fat raw vegan life style. I currently eat raw fruits and veggies raw seeds and nuts. I rarely eat anything cooked but I am still working on it. I have cut dairy and meat and eggs out. Very lille grain ect
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else vegan?
    I am going/leaning vegan..would be easier if people didn't "push" meat on you even though you tell them daily you are vegan. I am trying to stick with this because I love how it makes me feel. Glad to find other vegans. I am a new convert, so to speak. Have you read any books by Kathy Freston?

What does Kathy Freston write about? I'm always interested in a new book!

I used to be vegan, but now eat backyard eggs and fish maybe once a week. I added yogurt a while ago, but now stopped again. I'm just really uncomfortable using even organic dairy when I don't know what the dairy's practice is with the male calves. You can't have milk without calves, right? And male calves have no purpose in a vegetarian world, right? So it seems to me that vegetarians who consume dairy have an ethical blind spot. I'm not being judgmental, just trying to work it all out in my own conscience. If I'm off base here, would someone please enlighten me?!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was vegan for a year, lacto-ovo for about a year, vegan for two years, and then lacto-ovo for another two, then pescatarian for a while, now back to Veganism, lol. I think it's going to stick this time because I'm now at a point in my life where only I control what food is in my house. I like doing it because it's so natural and easy to do once you get the hang of it. Honestly, though, if I had a pet chicken, I'd probably start eating eggs (but not chicken!)

I feel very fortunate to have a humane source for eggs. It's a very small, <100 chicken farm in my in-law's family. The eggs are unlike anything sold in stores - so much better. The birds, (including roosters) have lots of pasture space and a coop I'd be proud to call my own home!! But no, they are not "vegetarian" grade eggs, because of the rooster's "activity," which is evident by a little dark speck in an egg that's less than a day old. On the flip side, the roosters keep the hens safe from predators, which is really important when they're in the pasture. Once I had a true pasture egg fresh off the farm, I never considered eating anything else. In the winter months, I do without.

I'm sure if you did a little checking around, you could find someone with backyard chickens, or a farmer's market supplier you could trust. You could try asking at the health food market, or at a feed store, as they know their customer's farms somewhat. When my family has too many eggs, the extras go to the feed store for sale.
  • npatel160
    npatel160 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian...but do not eat eggs
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Vegan! i love it! i've been a pescetarian for several years, and just recently took the plunge to veganism - I LOVE IT!
  • Thinsposa
    Thinsposa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Me!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I call myself a strict vegetarian, which for me, means I generally have a vegan diet, but don't like to call myself vegan, since I don't embrace the lifestyle as I would a religion. Feel free to add me if you'd like (anyone).
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    98% vegan for about three months now. I got stuck & had chicken nuggets yesterday at a friend's little girl's birthday party and felt sick as a dog. Just remember, there's as much vegan crap as non-vegan crap; focus on whole foods & you will be one healthy girl!:smile:
  • rachelmichelle79
    Options
    Is anyone else vegan?

What does Kathy Freston write about? I'm always interested in a new book!

I used to be vegan, but now eat backyard eggs and fish maybe once a week. I added yogurt a while ago, but now stopped again. I'm just really uncomfortable using even organic dairy when I don't know what the dairy's practice is with the male calves. You can't have milk without calves, right? And male calves have no purpose in a vegetarian world, right? So it seems to me that vegetarians who consume dairy have an ethical blind spot. I'm not being judgmental, just trying to work it all out in my own conscience. If I'm off base here, would someone please enlighten me?!
    You are completely on base! I agree with you completely! Kathy Freston was on the Dr. Oz show, and I recently borrowed her book "Veganist" from the library...she has others out there such as "Quantum Wellness"..She really puts things in an easy to ingest way, she's good! She has other books out there, too, a cook book and something else, I can't remember the name of it. I started by giving up one meat at a time...for me, giving up poultry, eggs and most dairy except cheese, is easy...I have to give up beef and dairy now...Next step for me. It is very expensive though..I can't get any chickens where I live..I would love that though. At least you know your chicken wasn't tortured