Other nut butters

Options

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the nutrition info, but i do love sunflower seed butter.
  • tjkramer
    tjkramer Posts: 16
    Options
    Damn! Someone already beat me to the "you said nut butter". LOL.
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    almond butter is my favorite food ever. the natural kind is great as a PB substitute, and there's a "no-stir" variant made by maranatha i buy sometimes that is literally my junk food (it has a little sugar added, but still better nutrition breakdown than PB). when i discovered this, i tried some other nut butters that my local grocery store sells. cashew butter tasted exactly like cashews, and i realized i would rather just eat the nuts. walnut butter didn't really do it for my either, but i'm also not a huge fan of walnuts.

and re: the difference between peanut butter and other nut butters, i was under the impression that it came down to the amount of fat and protein per calorie. e.g. pecans have the highest amount of fat/cal of nuts, and almonds have the most protein/calorie. but now i don't know if that's the pb issue.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    try justins nut butter (lol) its an almond butter and its super delicious. also sunflower butter is pretty good too. i feel like sunflower butter would be the healthiest one out there but i havent looked at any labels or anything.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Oh, also, if you are saying that you want the taste of peanut butter, you could get bell_plantation_pb2_new.jpg

^THis stuff tastes like AWEFULLNESS (editing myself here). :noway:

How DARE you compare it to amazing peanut butter!! :mad:

Agreed!!! By eating low fat, reduced fat PB, you are taking away the purpose of eating PB...which is the taste AND the good fats!! Stick with peanut butter that is plain peanut butter. Read the labels. PB2 is overly processed. I eat PB nearly everyday but limit it to 2 TBL daily. :) Enjoy it...in small quantities.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Nut butters ROCK. Satisfying healthy fat and some protein ...what's not to love? 1 TB is a good portion .... I recently realized I'd been UNDERestimating my portions. Anyhoooo , I go for natural (former Jif girl). Smuckers crunchy pbutter is good, as is the creamy. Love Maranatha no stir almond butter. Prefer the crunchy. Have tried sunflower butter ...didn't groove on it. Archer Farms at Target has a natural cashew, almond, peanut butter that is quite good.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

Oh, also, if you are saying that you want the taste of peanut butter, you could get bell_plantation_pb2_new.jpg

^THis stuff tastes like AWEFULLNESS (editing myself here). :noway:

How DARE you compare it to amazing peanut butter!! :mad:

Agreed!!! By eating low fat, reduced fat PB, you are taking away the purpose of eating PB...which is the taste AND the good fats!! Stick with peanut butter that is plain peanut butter. Read the labels. PB2 is overly processed. I eat PB nearly everyday but limit it to 2 TBL daily. :) Enjoy it...in small quantities.

Could not have said it better myself : ). Real nut butter please !!!!!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    We don't eat peanut butter in my household because one of my children has a peanut allergy. Not just where he gets itchy, but the kind where his throat would close off and he would die without an EpiPen.

We often eat Wowbutter (which is soybutter that is highly recommended for schools to use because of the consistency and flavor). It does have a bit more sodium than I like, so I've changed to using Kettle brand unsalted cashew butter or sometimes creamy almond butter, but I prefer the cashew butter in my overnight oats.

I haven't used sunflower butter, but I've heard a lot of good things from some friends in Austin about getting it cheap there and serving it to their kids who ask for more. If kids will eat it, then it can't be all bad. It's just your perspective on things. Some people don't like the alternatives to peanut butter because they want the alternatives to be exactly how peanut butter tastes. It won't ever be exact, but there are some good products out there that are pretty tasty in the long run.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    All natural almond butter, YUM!
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    peanut butter over noodles with tofu and edamame for crunch. AWESOME.

I've tried soy butter, almond butter, and I think sunflower butter. I like the kind you grind yourself at whole foods
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to PB but I eat Almond Butter. I really want a VitaMix to make my own, I also love Hazlenut Butter as well!
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    NUTELLA - - - Mmmmmm - I'll lick that off anything!!!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    17010006_lg.jpg

I agree with everything, but wow no PB thread is complete without my love ^^

But I like the fat and taste of normal stuff, so I couldn't tell you how the PB2 compares

PB2 is amazing. I love it in smoothies because it blends perfectly and still gives the peanuty taste with only 45 calories.

Also, regular PB tends to me hard on my stomach (it always repeats on me) but PB2 never does that, so it wins.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to PB but I eat Almond Butter. I really want a VitaMix to make my own, I also love Hazlenut Butter as well!

Yes. Please get a Vitamix. If you only make 1 purchase for the REST OF YOUR LIFE - Make it a Vitamix. It is THAT amazing.

Best thing I have ever bought, period.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. I like natural peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts and a hammer). I've had almond butter. It's good too. I love cashews. Somebody mentioned cashew butter. That would probably rock, but I've heard it's not so easy to make. You have to add some kind of oil to it or something. I don't know, since I haven't tried it myself. Pistachio butter sounds too good to be true, but I sure would like to try it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I love TJ's unsalted PB, the Valencia PB is also good there. I've also fallen in love with TJ's Sunflower Nut Butter. I also from time to time pick up some fresh Cashew Nut Butter at my local Coop

Different nuts have different nutrition values, some may be higher in fat but it may be the healthier fats, higher protein, more of certain vitamins etc. Great place to check them all out and the differences is Google. I've got the link somewhere but not handy or I'd share it with you.

Have fun trying out new ones! Or better yet make your own!!:wink:

Yes. Please get a Vitamix. If you only make 1 purchase for the REST OF YOUR LIFE - Make it a Vitamix. It is THAT amazing.

Best thing I have ever bought, period.

How does a Vita-Mix differ from a Food Processor what does it do that a processor can't. 'm curious is all and not educated on the VM deal. I can't see myself ever squirreling away close to $500 for one. A food processor I can see would be a good purchase for me, anything from homemade Pita Bread, Coconut butter (flour, nut flours etc.), Nut Butters, Pesto, and 99% of the recipes on Chocolate Covered Katie.:laugh:

Hazelnut butter sounds tasty, I'll have to add that to my list of ones to make.
  • deniselouise13
    deniselouise13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh wow that chocolate pb sounds amazing!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Oh wow that chocolate pb sounds amazing!

you should try it's Jedi brother, White Chocolate Wonderful. Tastes just like an inside out reeses I tell ya what!
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Maranatha Creamy No Stir PB is my favorite EVER.....omg put it in the microwave for a little so its a bit more spreadable and put it on a toasted seeduction roll from whole foods...I swear if someone put chocolate cake or that in front of me, I would probably pick the roll with pb....its that good.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    While we're mentioning nut butter concoctions, check out this one. It always hits the spot for me.
    http://fastpaleo.com/paleo-cookie-dough/

it doesn't really taste anything like cookie dough, but it sure is wonderful