Do you binge when you lose appreciable weight?

Options
This morning, i stepped on the scale and had lost more weight, looked at my ticker and saw it was about 10lbs to go. Suddenly i wanted to eat the whole world. It seems to happen to me a lot, when i lose weight, i just feel like.........yeah, now i can start junk eating and stop working out, my head keeps saying 'afterall you have lost the weight'

When you start getting towards your goal weight do u feel tempted to start eating and stop working out/become lazier?

Replies

• Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My binge issue seems to start with stress or a loss of control of my life in some form and then spirals from there. I am desperately trying to get myself out of a binge hole currently that I have dug very deep. My advice would be it's easier to stop yourself going there in the first place than it is to get out of the hole once you've dug it, so stay strong girl and keep going.
  • Maystar80
    Maystar80 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    yeah, I definitely let myself go crazy a little bit when I take a long break from the scale and see a big loss the next time I go on. I've done it a few times and have decided not to anymore. bad habit.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    After many (many) fits and start with weight loss, I've learned that the binging does catch up with you sometimes the following week. After sticking my finger in the socket multiple times, I've learned that if I binge, it will do more harm than good and then I'll feel unmotivated.

Hang in there! Celebrate by doing something nice for yourself! A non-food gift to celebrate your weight loss!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    This is so me!

When I reached the 70's I was like wooo party! for the next 2 weeks and ended up back at 82 :(
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I seem to find enough reasons (aka excuses!) without the self-sabotage but that's what I have been doing, on and off, for a month or more now :(

Time to kick my own *kitten* and cut it out.
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used to get to a certain number than do the same thing .=( I was self sabotaging myself. I read alot about the power of the brain and the tricks it plays. try a tell your self thats its just your brain trying to play tricks and the cravings will pass . Hang in there =) and good luck with your journey
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    This morning, i stepped on the scale and had lost more weight, looked at my ticker and saw it was about 10lbs to go. Suddenly i wanted to eat the whole world. It seems to happen to me a lot, when i lose weight, i just feel like.........yeah, now i can start junk eating and stop working out, my head keeps saying 'afterall you have lost the weight'

When you start getting towards your goal weight do u feel tempted to start eating and stop working out/become lazier?

Well I am a far distance from my goal weight BUT I cannot say that this has happened (this time around). My binge eating usually is more due to major stress or life changes. I have lost weight a few times before and I regained as a result of a major life change... job loss, got engaged, etc. Those are the triggers I have to be careful of. I will say too, the couple of other times I lost significant weight I did it more as a result of some type of unsustainable diet rather than eating at a level that could be sustained long term... I often advise, to lose weight, determine where you want to be and exercise/eat as though you were at that level... Hence when you arrive where you want to be, you continue doing what you are doing rather than changing anything.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I am having a hell of a time with this right now. My brain says i have 10 pounds to go, but my body keeps sabotaging me. Ugh.
  • Deka61
    Deka61 Posts: 74
    Options
    If I manage to lose some weight through the week, then I allow myself a treat at the weekend. No weight loss, no treat. A few years ago, well quite a few years ago I lost a lot of weight, and treated myself too often, so I'm back to calorie counting.
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes!! As soon as people started to notice that I had lost weight I lost my motivation :( I have lost and gained the same 3lb for the last 3 months now and it is really starting to irritate me! I am back on track as of today and I will lose these last 19lb!!
  • penelopepitstop2012
    Options
    you just have to remember that it is a lifestyle change and not a diet otherwise the weight will just pile back on when you reach your goal weight and stop "dieting" what i do is when i loose weight or reach a target i reward myself with a non food related treat eg. go see a show with friends and let loose made have a couple wines even- within reason of cause
  • emhow
    emhow Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I did that today. Saw that I had lost a bit more since last week and went straight out to get an ice cream. Don't regret it one bit though. Best ice cream I've ever had.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    This is so me!

When I reached the 70's I was like wooo party! for the next 2 weeks and ended up back at 82 :(
    so me too!!!
    Reached my goal and have put on since CAN NOT maintain AT ALL!!!
    :mad: :angry: :explode: :sad:
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes!! As soon as people started to notice t'hat I had lost weight I lost my motivation :( I have lost and gained the same 3lb for the last 3 months now and it is really starting to irritate me! I am back on track as of today and I will lose these last 19lb!!

Me too...I got the "oh you are too skinny" LACK of encouragement!!!

Now its coming back on!!
    :sad:
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past a few pounds lost before I would start eating the house. This time I am redefining what is good food. I am focused on energy and fuel. I have never thought like that ever.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    "I will say too, the couple of other times I lost significant weight I did it more as a result of some type of unsustainable diet rather than eating at a level that could be sustained long term... I often advise, to lose weight, determine where you want to be and exercise/eat as though you were at that level... Hence when you arrive where you want to be, you continue doing what you are doing rather than changing anything."
    [/quote]

That is so simple when you think about it. It would save all the increasing calories crisis!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    No, I'm the opposite...I'll binge if I don't lose! If I can see that something is working, I'm very motivated to stick it out.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    absolutely not....that's like rewarding yourself with a cigarette when you've quit smoking for a while....
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    I am a binger. its awful and its so hard to control sometimes, But I have little sayings posted all over my house for inspiration and one that I find helps me lately is....

Do not reward yourself with food... you are not a dog.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite... the closer I get the more strict I am becoming with myself. I am right now only 1.8 lbs away from my goal weight and NO food is standing in the way of that for me. PUSHING IT this week so I can hit my goal weight and CELEBRATE!:smile: