strenth training for the ladies

Options
pnut80
pnut80 Posts: 77 Member
i am in desperate need of strength training! ive been doing straight cardio since january and i am past due for some kind of weight training! i am about to start jillian michaels kickbox fast fix and i know there is alot of toning in that but i feel like i should be doing some kind of weight routine or something. tell me what you are doing ladies...and i probably wont know what you are talking about if you use weight room talk lol ive never lifted so i dont know what half that stuff means :laugh: i do have access to a gym with weights soooo hit me with it!

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    A lot of women on this site use new rules of lifting for women. It's a book and it has a routine in it that you can follow. There is also a book called "starting strength" that a lot of people like.

I joined bodybuilding.com and I found this thread with a beginner's routine that a lot of people on there use and like a lot:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

I haven't started it yet. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what weights to use... I'm still getting used to using the barbells at the gym... I've never done them before now. So I know how you feel about not knowing any of the "lingo" lol. I feel like a lost child wandering around the weight section of the gym trying to figure out where to go and what to use. I've been lurking around the bodybuilding.com forums for a while now. I've asked a few questions in that thread I posted the link to and the people in there are really nice and helpful.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • pnut80
    Options
    its almost embarrassing for me to go in the weight room cause i dont even know what to do lol so i just avoid it. my arms really need some work...they are def not tank top arms lol. i will check out the website and stuff! thanks so much! :smile:
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Check out or buy the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises. It has like 600 strength exercises in it, all with pictures and great descriptions of each one. It's so helpful! It has routines in it, too.
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    Lift things up and put them down.
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    Options

^^^ @Dagoth I find your mockery aggravating. If you don't have anything nice to say or helpful to contribute please don't comment. we are supposed to be supportive.
    i am in desperate need of strength training! ive been doing straight cardio since january and i am past due for some kind of weight training! i am about to start jillian michaels kickbox fast fix and i know there is alot of toning in that but i feel like i should be doing some kind of weight routine or something. tell me what you are doing ladies...and i probably wont know what you are talking about if you use weight room talk lol ive never lifted so i dont know what half that stuff means :laugh: i do have access to a gym with weights soooo hit me with it!

@ the OP
    I've heard new rules of lifting for women is great. I am going to try this soon.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    Bump for future reference
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you are that confused, then hire a PT for a few sessions to get you going.

I have a PT and he sets up the routines for me.. he goes through them once so I know how to do all the exercises, and then after that I'm on my own... works out wonderfully for me!
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just recieved my copy of The New Rules Of Lifting For Women yesterday...I'm super excited to learn about and start heavy lifting. for the past month or so I have been doing at home weight lifting dvds using 5, 8 &10 lb weights. Recently I have stepped it up to 15 lbs. Since I've incorporated weights into my workouts my arms look so much better; they and are leaner and appear more toned. I'm excited to see what heavier lifting will do!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    There has been some good advice, NRoLFW, a PT or Strong Lifts 5x5 are all good starting points :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Weight training is the same for both genders. Any advice you read for men, will apply to you too, but just bear in mind lower testosterone levels will prevent you from gaining noticable muscle MASS anywhere near as quickly.
  • jamlastsforages
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I really want to start strength training/lifting as soon as possible but I'm pretty much clueless. I've just got copies of New Rules of Lifting and New Rules of Lifting for women. Looking forward to dive into them. I can't afford a trainer and I don't know anyone who lifts. The gym I go to has a pretty good weiggt section for women but it's usually empty and I feel a bit likr a fool walking around, not knowing anything.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Weight training is the same for both genders. Any advice you read for men, will apply to you too, but just bear in mind lower testosterone levels will prevent you from gaining noticable muscle MASS anywhere near as quickly.

this.
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am doing TRX suspension straps. I had a trainer run through the exercises with me; now I do them at home. I've lost a bunch of inches in two months!
  • melhmltn2
    melhmltn2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting I would recommend Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It is circuit training with 3 minutes on strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs and repeat for 3 sets. I have noticed a definite definment of arm muscles within a few weeks. I've never finished the 30 days :( however think this may help to get you started. You need different sized dumbells (I started with 2lbs and ended with 10 lbs) and the rest is your body.

Good luck
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Actually, Dagoth, you made me laugh as I thought you were spoofing the commercial shown repeatedly on this past season's "Biggest Loser", the commercial for Planet Fitness. Yes?
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hiring a PT is a great way to start. You only need three or four sessions to get some great ideas on what to do. If you have a smartphone, there are also tons of apps out there that include video clips of the various exercises and put workouts together for you.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions to get the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is a wonderful book, he explains about eating, has food suggestions in there, explains the importance of lifting -heavy. He has it set up in Stages with different workouts in each stage.

There are demonstrations (words and pictures) of each of the exercises. Youtube is another good place to go to watch the proper form of exercises.

At my gym when I have questions about an exercise the people that work there are great for helping with it. Just ask people when you are unsure. It is better to ask and to do it correctly than to not ask and have bad form.

It can be scary at first but once you get it you will probably fall in love with it.

GOOD LUCK!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Ask someone at your gym what you can do to have someone help you & show you what would be good for you to do...This may be a free one-time thing at your gym or it may cost very little for someone to show you the ropes in a day or so....Go for it you will love it!! :)
  • ourmamros
    ourmamros Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    dagoth - lift things up put things down - you made me smile! I go to Curves three times a week which i enjoy but i want to speed up reducing my bingo wings. one of the girls there suggested bottles of water - hold it up high and then take it down behind my head - repeat. I am using a bottle of laundry detergent as it is easier to keep hold of than taller bottles of water. Every time i go out to my freezer i pick it up - do ten reps each arm and then i put it down.
    I think sometimes it is easy to over think stuff and then put yoursellf off doing anything. i know my bottles and routine are not as effective as proper wieght liftinhg or doing the 30 day shred, but for me it is an extra something to start with.
    I have windows to clean this afternoon and i am planning to use both arms equally - Karate Kid 1 - wax on wax off lol.
    Thanks for the smile Dagoth!
  • pnut80
    Options
    hey thanks for all the great advice! i definitely cant afford a trainer...,books and youtube are more my price :smile: