Carnation Instant Breakfast?

Options
lindsy721
lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
My husband mixes some CIB powder into a big glass of milk every morning for breakfast. I like CIB, but is it a good idea while trying to lose fat? One serving is 130 calories, which isn't anything horrible, but I think it would be considered "processed"... so... good idea or bad idea?

Replies

• debcorky
    debcorky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay, but a Protein shake might be better. I like one scoop of Slimstyle PGX, and one scoop of vanilla protein powder with a little skim milk and a little water...really fills me up mord than CIB
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    If you going to be drinking your breakfast, I would go with a protein shake or a smoothie. Those yoplait smoothies you can buy in the freezer section for 2 servings its 260 calories and its pretty filling. I love the chocolate banana one :) Though my husband tries to slip peanut butter when in it I'm not looking cause its just plain awesome :)
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    With all that sugar, even in fat free milk it's a stretch for me to justify. I agree that some Spirutein or other protein shake would be better. The chocolate and the vanilla blend really well with that peanut butter too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How's the sugar and other ingredients in the CIB? Protein? Artificial stuff? You might be better off with yogurt, oatmeal & fruit, which could also be blended into a drinkable breakfast. And 130 calories for breakfast wouldn't hold me until lunch - I'd be snacking all morning! :tongue:
  • lammytee
    lammytee Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm with the others...go protein. Costco has the Premier Power shakes...and they're easy since they are ready to go.
  • stargreen25
    stargreen25 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have tried the protein shakes and I cant stomach them...I drink CIB every morning. I still keep under calories and keep my carbs 100-150.
    I am going to try the sugar free one this week it has half the carbs and still has 13g protein. I just take it in the morning with skim milk and 2 hard boiled eggs (for the extra protein).
    I do think protein shakes are the way to go or something more healthy such as oatmeal.
    This is just what I do.
    Good luck either way!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'd try going more towards Ensure than CIB, it's the same thing really though Ensure is way more nutritionally balanced, in some instances is lower cal and you have options such as a higher protein formula, etc. some people say it doesn't taste all that great, I find it tastes just fine - though it does taste better cold.

As others have said though, better go with the smoothies/shake but if you really want something like CIB - shop around and see if there's something more appealing nutritionally
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    My husband mixes some CIB powder into a big glass of milk every morning for breakfast. I like CIB, but is it a good idea while trying to lose fat? One serving is 130 calories, which isn't anything horrible, but I think it would be considered "processed"... so... good idea or bad idea?

If your goal is to lose fat then you should concern yourself with your total daily intake of calories and macronutrients. If the Instant Breakfast allows you to hit your calorie and macronutrient goals by the end of the day, then it's totally fine to continue eating/drinking this to reach your weight loss goals.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use Instant Breakfast a lot actually. They make sugar free versions, which I use, and there are none powdered (ready to drink) versions too. They work well for me because solid food doesn't always agree with me super early in the morning. I usually have a glass of Instant Breakfast and a banana.
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If I don't drink my breakfast, I don't get a breakfast & we shouldn't skip breakfast - so I do Spirutein w/skim milk (and water if I want to make it into more). I add 1/2 - 1 cup frozen fruit & whip it w/my Bullet mixer - it's like drinking a milk shake. The protein of Spirutein keeps me full until lunch. Recently, I started adding Fiber-Sure because I wasn't meeting my fiber goals - it doesn't affect the shake texture or taste at all.
  • this works well for me and taste great love all the favors I mix with vanilla rice milk:drinker:
  • vmoyer2002
    vmoyer2002 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use it if I'm getting low on my protein powder. I use the no sugar added version. Still has tons of sugar in it though. That's one of the negatives about it for me.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    have you followed little orphan annie's advice and drank your ovaltine?

compare the two, a little less than a third of the carbs, half the sugar and less calories. It doesn't have the protein and I'm not sure what adding in some protein mix would do to the stats, but it might be a better option. As a diabetic, I like the less sugar content and it goes great with soy milk, first time I've had anything remotely chocolate like in months!