Can't do eggs. Alternatives?

Options
I'm working on losing weight through a combination of exercise and a low-er carb diet (85 g carbs per day; 1200 calories total). I know that eggs and egg whites are a go-to food for a lot of people on similar meal plans and in general. I always see "I had 2 egg whites for breakfast...." etc. I know they are an awesome source of protein and other good stuff, and filling. I just can't eat them.

I get that they are great, but I CANNOT stand the smell of cooking eggs! I start to gag and have vomited on several occasions just being in the same house as somebody cooking eggs. I've never gotten to the taste (they look gross to me too, cooked any way). It's just the smell that gets to me; I'm not allergic or anything and when I cook or bake where egg is just an ingredient and not actually cooked itself or tasted, I'm fine.

So what do you recommend to replace eggs or equate to them?

Replies

• MelanieLeanne
    Options
    You could try doing something with cottage cheese. It's really good for you but I can't stand it! lol
    Or you could try just doing a meal replacement shake instead in the mornings. Most morning food has too many carbs anyway. Advocare has a meal replacement shake that has 25g protein, 220 calories, tons of vitamins & nutrients & comes in a variety of flavors that taste delicious!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,174 Member
    Options
    I adore Trader Joe's No Fat Greek Yogurt pomegranate flavor. It's 110 calories and 15 g protein.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Tofu scramble! Crumbled firm tofu scrambled in a pan with a little turmeric and some veggies has a very similar look and texture to scrambled eggs without the sulfur smell.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If your talking about just for breakfast, I usually do oatmeal, or fruit and a Greek yogurt. If you are talking about protein there are lots of things you an try. Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, any kind of beans( I was NEVER bean eater but lately have found really creative ways to eat them with salsa, garlic and a few other ways) quinoa. You could also do protein shakes to get the right amount of protein. Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less. You do not have to eat 1200 calories or super low carb to lose weight. In fact if that is not enough calories for your body you will probably hit a plateau. Good luck!
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with milk, some kashi cereals, smoothies have a lot of protein but these aren't low-carb.

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and nuts are all things you could incorporate into your breakfast.

Shape magazine has an article this month about complete proteins with a little grid I found helpful but I wasn't able to find it online. You could probably open one up next time you are at the grocery store and get a few ideas.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I was wrong, that article I was talking about was in Self magazine: http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2012/06/protein-and-weight-loss?currentPage=2