No Thyroid!!

wendysheets
wendysheets Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I had all of my Thyroid removed in May 09'. Before that my neck had gotten bigger and I thought it was because I was gaining weight. My OBGYN doctor is the one that noticed that my thyroid was enlarged. It took 2 months of test for the docs to decide that the thyroid needed to be removed.They finally got my medicine straight, now I need to lose the weight that I put on since my thyroid levels have been off. Is there vitamins or a special diet that someone has tried that works. Thanks! :wink:

285962.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator

Replies

• mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    A book that you might want to see if your library has is "Living Well With Hypothyroidism" by Mary Shomon.

It has lots of valuable information in it .

Hope that helps.

Cindy
  • Thanks! I will look for that today:happy:
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    I also have no thyroid. I ended up with cancer, but I also thought that I had gained weight, my goiter was pretty big. Good luck. There really isn't a special diet or minerals--The thyroid is dependent on Iodine, but since you don't have a thyroid any more it doesn't matter as much. (that is why salt is iodized--before that happened a ton of people were growing goiters. :ohwell: Good luck. You are not alone, there are quite a few people on the boards who have no thyroid or are taking a replacement.

Just be sure to take synthroid (I assume that you are on it) first thing in the morning, a half hour before meals. And avoid vitamin mineral supplements with in 4 hours of the pill. Soy, and vitamins and minerals can effect how the drug is absorbed, so that is what you have to be most careful with. Are you being treated by an endo?

I had my surgery in December of '04--just so you know. :flowerforyou:
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    I still have my thyroid, but am on 50mcg of synthroid. I found out the hard way that soy definitely interferes with it. When I started avoiding it altogether, I felt much better. But you have to be careful. Soy is in most things processed. Although I have heard some people with thyroid issues that are on synthroid do fine consuming soy. Every"body"s different, but something to take a look at.
    Hope this helps,
    Lisa:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.