What to do first?

Options
Jacole18
Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
Does it matter whether you do cardio or weights first? A trainer told me you should do weights first, but why would it matter? Any ideas?

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Because you want to use your energy for the stuff that matters :)
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    I always alternate depending how I feel, or sometimes I do half my cardio, weights, and finish with cardio.

not sure if it makes a difference... looking forward to reading replies on this!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I do cardio first then the free weights/universal weights. In my opinion, it really doesn't matter what you do first. Cardio is best first because it warms your body and muscles up, but if you decide to do weights first than just be sure to warm up your body with some moving stretches.

I also like to switch up my workouts so my body doesn't adjust to quickly. So for one week I'll do Cardio than weights, and then the next week I'll do Cardio for ten minutes than a full weight session next and then a full cardio session.

Just have fun! Any exercise is good exersise! If your movin' your losin' :)
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I do cardio first then the free weights/universal weights. In my opinion, it really doesn't matter what you do first. Cardio is best first because it warms your body and muscles up, but if you decide to do weights first than just be sure to warm up your body with some moving stretches.

I also like to switch up my workouts so my body doesn't adjust to quickly. So for one week I'll do Cardio than weights, and then the next week I'll do Cardio for ten minutes than a full weight session next and then a full cardio session.

Just have fun! Any exercise is good exersise! If your movin' your losin' :)

Good point!! Thank you! I love your closing statement! :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I do a cardio warm up then weights and a cardio cool down.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i think people (and trainers) say weight first so you can get the optimum lifting because you have all your energy for the lifting! for me, my focus is more on cardio (maybe not proper but true) so i'd rather use my energy on cardio! also, if i lift first, i'm not as likely to get as good of a run or cardio workout in
  • healthylifewealthylife
    Options
    I actually do cardo to get my body warmed up and then go into the wts.A group of us were being trained by a trainer and she said cardo 5 times a week,wts. 3 times a week.This is pretty much what I do,just don't over do it,a few months ago,I was working out 5 days a week for 2 hrs. a day ended up pulling a muscle in my shoulder and had to lay off the wts. for 6 weeks,not fun,I hope this helps.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's ideal to do weight training first because it burns off glycogen, leaving your cardio to be basically all fat burn. It's good to do 5-10 minutes on the treadmill first though, as a warm-up.

At least that's what I've read, many times in many places.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I do cardio first to warm up. Then when my muscles are tired after lifting, I do a quick 5 minutes cardio again to regain strength in the muscles in the upper body and get back to lifting
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    bench press first...