just starting lifting and need advices :)

Options
So I just started lifting weights last week. I go to the gym 6 days a week and intend to do weights 2 or 3 of those days.

I've been looking around online for advices and here's what I've been doing for the past week, on days where I lift.
- I start with 15 minutes of cardio just to warm up a bit. (usually elliptical)
- I picked 7 exercises, each targeting a different body part : chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, quadriceps, hamstrings and abs
- I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps for each.

So far it's going good. It starts getting really tough by the the 8th or 9th rep but I manage to finish.

Does it look good for a beginner?

By the way, I'm doing weights mainly for fat loss.

Thanks for any remark or advice you may have!

Replies

• chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert (I just use a pair of 5lb and a pair of 8lb dumbbells at home) but by what you're saying, looks good to me!!! I'd like to start myself, but I'd have to get the okay from my neurologist to do it first where I have epilepsy, I might need a specific program designed with my seizure condition in mind. Last thing I need is to drop a barbell on my chest, right? LOL :laugh:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So I just started lifting weights last week. I go to the gym 6 days a week and intend to do weights 2 or 3 of those days.

I've been looking around online for advices and here's what I've been doing for the past week, on days where I lift.
    - I start with 15 minutes of cardio just to warm up a bit. (usually elliptical)
    - I picked 7 exercises, each targeting a different body part : chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, quadriceps, hamstrings and abs
    - I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps for each.

So far it's going good. It starts getting really tough by the the 8th or 9th rep but I manage to finish.

Does it look good for a beginner?

By the way, I'm doing weights mainly for fat loss.

Thanks for any remark or advice you may have!

I guess doing the 3 sets of 10-12 reps for one or two weeks isn't bad to get your body use to lifting but I would start reading up on StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength to really nail down a solid beginner exercise routine.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

I just got done doing a program my trainer wrote up for me.. and most of the ones he has me do are between 2-3 sets, and reps between 10-20.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

I just got done doing a program my trainer wrote up for me.. and most of the ones he has me do are between 2-3 sets, and reps between 10-20.

I recommend finding a new trainer. Just because he/she has their "certificate" doesn't make them good.
  • dad106
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

I recommend finding a new trainer. Just because he/she has their "certificate" doesn't make them good.

I recommend you shut it.

My trainer has been in the business for 5 years and has 3 to 4 certifications, and is teaching me proper forms on squats, dead lifts, clean and press, rows and bench press.

Just because you think one program is good, does not mean it fits all people or their goals.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

I recommend you shut it.

My trainer has been in the business for 5 years and has 3 to 4 certifications, and is teaching me proper forms on squats, dead lifts, clean and press, rows and bench press.

Just because you think one program is good, does not mean it fits all people or their goals.

LOL, it's not any particular program that I think is good or even the best because there is no such thing. There are methods that are more effective than others but every method has a weakness.

Part of the training system I prefer includes doing some exercises at sets of 3 to 4 for 8 - 12 reps but doing everything for sets of 10 - 20 is a waste my friend. I suggest you read-up and get some information for your own. Most trainers are crap regardless of how many certifications they have. Educate yourself and then come back and talk.
  • dad106
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

I recommend you shut it.

LOL, it's not any particular program that I think is good or even the best because there is no such thing. There are methods that are more effective than others but every method has a weakness.

Part of the training system I prefer includes doing some exercises at sets of 3 to 4 for 8 - 12 reps but doing everything for sets of 10 - 20 is a waste my friend. I suggest you read-up and get some information for your own. Most trainers are crap regardless of how many certifications they have. Educate yourself and then come back and talk.

So if nothing is best then why are we even arguing? You do you, I'll do me and we'll leave at that.

If you read, I said most.. not everything. It's reps of 10-20, not sets of 10-20 you jack *kitten*.

If I wanted to gain muscle, I'd be doing a program like the one you are suggesting to OP.. but right now, I don't. I lift heavy, I do olympic/power lifts and I'm happy. My trainer is a good one, and hasn't steered me wrong yet.. so why fix what's not broken?

Go take your I-know-everything attitude and go bother someone else who actually gives a flying ****.
  • nbreteil
    nbreteil Posts: 40
    Options
    alright alright guy, no need to get angry, I was just trying to get some advice here :) we're all lifting for different reasons so of course we all have different methods!
  • alisatodd
    alisatodd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're lifting heavy enough weights so you are almost failing towards the end You need to push your muscles as you get stronger. It's in the tearing down and rebuilding that you get stronger.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

I recommend you shut it.

So if nothing is best then why are we even arguing? You do you, I'll do me and we'll leave at that.

If you read, I said most.. not everything. It's reps of 10-20, not sets of 10-20 you jack *kitten*.

If I wanted to gain muscle, I'd be doing a program like the one you are suggesting to OP.. but right now, I don't. I lift heavy, I do olympic/power lifts and I'm happy. My trainer is a good one, and hasn't steered me wrong yet.. so why fix what's not broken?

Go take your I-know-everything attitude and go bother someone else who actually gives a flying ****.

So what's your programming look like on olympic / power lifts?

I only commented on your trainer, not you and you got all ****ty. Sorry I happen to know something about strength training and you obviously don't and rely on a moron to teach you. Enjoy wasting your money and time.
  • dad106
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

I recommend you shut it.

I only commented on your trainer, not you and you got all ****ty. Sorry I happen to know something about strength training and you obviously don't and rely on a moron to teach you. Enjoy wasting your money and time.

and your certifications are what(besides being a jack *kitten* that is?)

I have nothing to prove to you.. what I'm doing is working, I'm seeing results and in the end isn't that all that matters?

and yes, I am a ***** because I hate when people come outta no where and tell me what to do, when they have no idea what the circumstances are or what they hell they are even talking about.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

I recommend you shut it.

and your certifications are what(besides being a jack *kitten* that is?)

I have nothing to prove to you.. what I'm doing is working, I'm seeing results and in the end isn't that all that matters?

and yes, I am a ***** because I hate when people come outta no where and tell me what to do, when they have no idea what the circumstances are or what they hell they are even talking about.

How am I being a *kitten*? This thread was started by somebody looking for advice and you posted some advice. Aren't you a *kitten* too for coming out of nowhere and giving advice.

I have no certifications, I have knowledge and results. What good is a piece of paper without results?

Your way might be effective but rest-assured there are more effective methods. Why waste time in the gym to be semi-effective? Wouldn't you rather spend that same amount of time to be maximally effective?

If you want me to be a *kitten* keep posting that I am and I will. ;)
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    LoL @ the forum fight, doing reps of 15-20 is for weight loss with low weight I imagine? so seems like your trainer is steering you just fine.

ANYWAYS OP my friend has a blog and just released a beginners work out check it out if you'd like, if you think the link is like a virus or something just go to tumblr.com and search for Vitaminbk
    http://vitaminbk.tumblr.com/post/23734880892/3-days-a-week-beginner-mass-building-program-level-i
  • nbreteil
    nbreteil Posts: 40
    Options
    LoL @ the forum fight, doing reps of 15-20 is for weight loss with low weight I imagine? so seems like your trainer is steering you just fine.

ANYWAYS OP my friend has a blog and just released a beginners work out check it out if you'd like, if you think the link is like a virus or something just go to tumblr.com and search for Vitaminbk
    http://vitaminbk.tumblr.com/post/23734880892/3-days-a-week-beginner-mass-building-program-level-i

LOL I know people get competitive when it's about how we look I guess :)

thanks for the link, I'll check it out!
  • dad106
    Options

Yup a 65 pound deadlift for 15 reps is def low weight... silly me, I thought it wasn't.

Besides, using a trainer I've lost 30 pounds and 6 sizes.. which means I must be doing something right and will keep doing so until it stops working.
  • LivingstonIpresume
    Options
    I would recommend a 5X5 because it has gotten results for me. I started out doing the standard isolated movements on machines, started maxing them out while nothing got bigger but my ego. It did help me lose weight, which is great if that's all you are looking for, but I want to feel strong and in shape. On top of that the isolated workout had me doing so many different workouts that I had to keep a giant log to stay on top of what I was doing and by the time I worked a muscle group out (a week later) I felt like I had rested too long. Doing the strong lifts I just use the free app that they have for the iPod and it does all the log work for me. Not too shabby in my opinion
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options

"Sets of 10-20" is quite different from "10-20 sets." Obviously, he was talking "sets of 10-20 REPS." Way to correct an error that wasn't there. But, *he* is the "*kitten*". :ohwell:
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options

How am I being a *kitten*? This thread was started by somebody looking for advice and you posted some advice. Aren't you a *kitten* too for coming out of nowhere and giving advice.

tumblr_lkj3h0Dczu1qg5gsro1_400.gif
  • dad106
    Options

"Sets of 10-20" is quite different from "10-20 sets." Obviously, he was talking "sets of 10-20 REPS." Way to correct an error that wasn't there. But, *he* is the "*kitten*". :ohwell:

True.. obviously I can't read.

The way he worded it before the phrase "sets of 3-4 for 8-12 reps" made it seem like he was saying sets of 10-20, not 10-20 reps... and in my post weight lifting fog, errors tend to happen. Thanks for correcting me :)