How do you go about eating Spaghetti?

Options
124»

Replies

• JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just make extra of the veggies I add to my sauce, mushrooms, onions, peppers, zuccini, whatever and add my meat sauce to that with maybe a tiny bit of pasta in the bottom of my bowl, If I really want it.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I measure out my pasta in a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Yes, it's a pain, but I can see exactly how much I get for how many calories, and it's an eye opener. I take 1/2 cup of sauce (I use a jar of Francesco Rinaldi low sodium traditional flavor that has 1 pound of crumbled cooked ground beef added. Also an eye opener for calories. I don't put cheese on it, and I have a large bowl of salad (lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms, whatever I have in the veggie drawer etc.) with a little very low cal dressing on it. I can't deprive my family of spaghetti, and I can't keep myself from eating it when they do, but at least I can control how much of it I eat.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Fork and spoon, tis the best way, gotta get that swirl on.
    I measure everything I eat so weighing a bit of pasta is pretty easy compared to some stuff!
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash and make turkey meatballs
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I probably should have scanned responses to see if anyone recommended this yet.....but have you tried spaghetti squash?! Its a pretty good substitute, super easy, and has ridiculously few calories!!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I eat corn spaghetti (can't have wheat) with a bit of sundried tomato pesto and I'm in heaven. Pasta always fills me up so much that when I measure out a serving (200cal for the pasta) and finish it i'm usually satisfied so I haven't felt the need to take it out yet.
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I buy Ronzini (the one with more fiber) & just limit myself to a serving & add some spaghetti sauce & a usually about 3-4 ounces of lean ground turkey.. I don't eat it much - because Pasta is something I could evereat on bigtime.. My husband likes meatballs, so I make him those & just cook my ground turkey seperate & add to mine.. Works for me & satisfy's my craving for it.. I will also allow myself to have a few small pieces of garlic bread.. I just make sure I workout alot & so I earn the calories.. I have also tried the spaghetti squash & its great.. Just cook it long enough.. Last time I made it the squash was undercooked & it was tough.. lol.. Good luck.. I have learned in my new way of eating - its all about moderation.... And I measure & weigh everything... It works great....
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    when the sauce and or meat is the star of the meal you really dont crave the pasta in it..I think thats the common spaghetti thread of this topic for some. :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use Carba Nada by Al Dente and weigh it out before I cook it. I keep my scale right beside the stove so it isn't any trouble to weigh as the water is coming to a boil.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    When I'm being super careful, I separate the dry pasta into portions (if there are six servings in the box, I make six equal bunches). I put twist ties around the each of the dry pasta bundles and return them to the box. Then I can just grab a bundle and know it's a serving size.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When I'm being super careful, I separate the dry pasta into portions (if there are six servings in the box, I make six equal bunches). I put twist ties around the each of the dry pasta bundles and return them to the box. Then I can just grab a bundle and know it's a serving size.

I do that with low sodium hillshire farm ham! take it all out, divide into two equal piles, then divide each of those into more piles until I have 8 one ounce servings and then repackage them back into the glad container in individual snack bags. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there!
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    I cut up a lot of veggies like zucchini, squash, onions, peppers, whatever, sautee them, and then add sauce and simmer. I end up with more veggies than pasta in the end, which I like. Yum.

This. And this works especially well with non-spaghetti type of pasta because it all is "fork-stabbable."
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Ronzoni has a heart health pasta that is pretty reasonable with carbs and calories. It also has quite a bit of fiber to balance out the net carbs. When I make it I add about a cup of julienned zucchini and yellow squash, 1/4 cup onions, and 1/2 cup mushrooms with 4 oz or either cooked and drained turkey burger or morning star meal starter crumbles with 1/4 cup low sodium spagetti squash or some seasoned crushed tomatoes. Only lightly sautee the veggies so they are still firm and not soggy...it really makes a difference. It makes a huge plateful with very healthy "full of fiber" carbs. I also love to do that topping on one cup of spaghetti squash.

You can also shred zuchhini or eggplant for the same effect as the spaghetti squash if it is out of season or unavailable in your area.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I will measure out my 1 cup of cooked spaghetti and then add spaghetti squash to it. It makes it more filling because there is "more" without the added calories the pasta gives you. The squash is such little calories for the amount you get.
  • kimanne4
    kimanne4 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Measure it out and enjoy your food! I don't believe in saying you can't have something or you'll eat a ton of it. I don't count carbs just calories and it's working out quite well:)
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    I use Miracle Noodles...sugar, carb, & calorie free. I make my own sauce...organic tomatoes...boil then puree, organic tomato paste, a cup of Imagine Free Range Chicken Broth, salt, pepper, oragano, basil, cayenne & a little magor...delish!
  • dawnlinski
    dawnlinski Posts: 22
    Options
    i hate eating spaghetti in public! the other day i went to my in-laws for dinner and she made spaghetti! I was so glad when she snapped it in half so I wouldn't have super long spaghetti to eat (which can be messy) :D