Special treats - yes or no???

Options
T_Marie4
T_Marie4 Posts: 104 Member
Hey all, I have a question. . .or two or three: Do you allow special treats once in a while or are you strict with your healthy eats? If you do have treats, do you work out extra to make up the difference? I typically eat within my 1200 calories, leaving the deficit from my workout - occasionally I will eat a few of those calories, but not by more than 100 - 150. If I already have a deficit, would I need to worry about working off the extra 'treat' that I ate? I'm only asking as my son is going to be celebrating his 7th birthday this week and we always have DQ ice cream cake - YUM! So I'm curious and seeking some tips/advice. . .thanks for the help!

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Treats? Yes, always. Enjoy the DQ ice cream cake. Don't think twice about it. LIVE.
  • kparks2
    kparks2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a treat meal once a week. I fight my cal cravings with skinny cow or fruits or jello pudding sugar free. Personally, I do try to work out to make up for it and I portion size it and I count it in my cals. So have your DQ cake...one day will not kill you but I would work out so it will not be too bad.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    everyone has to treat themselves on occasion ... if you check your estimated bmr you will see how many calories you burn doing nothing all day a few extra calories will not make you gain any weight

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • shellgirl144
    Options
    I work them into my calories. I don't deprive myself of what I want to have, but I do take smaller portions of it. As a matter of fact, I have something sweet nearly every day and I've lost about 25 lbs in about 4 months.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I restrict nothing just work it off
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Since I am not on a diet I have whatever I want, I just make sure it will fit within my calorie goals.
  • barney50501Missy
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. If I am going to have something I know will be high in calories (like bday cake last week) I adjust whatever else I am eating that day so I stay within my numbers. I am like you, I don't usually eat back my exercise calories so I am always between 1200 and 1300. Enjoy the little man's birthday and have some ice cream cake. :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    If it's in your calorie allowance then yes. I may or may not be eating an ice cream sandwich while typing this.
  • Immaskinnycow
    Immaskinnycow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't restrict anything. If I crave something, I'll eat it. For me the "no, you cant have or eat that diet" doesn't work. Work it into your calories. I eat ice cream every night. Its the last thing I eat for the day. It's the only vice I have left, and I have no plans to ever stop eating ice cream. Best of luck to you!
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    for me its a lifestyle change, not a diet...so nothing is completely off limits. i have a small treat of some sort quite often as long as it fits into my daily calories. eat some cake, and enjoy, even if you go over as long as it doesnt become a habit i think youd be fine. :)
  • LesIsMoreXX
    LesIsMoreXX Posts: 169
    Options
    Sometimes I'll allow myself a big treat once or twice a week ie. dinner out at a restaurant or a bag of chips or something.
    I try to eat healthy all day everyday but if I'm craving something and if I can't get rid of that craving within about an hour, I just eat it but a smaller portion than I used to.
    Some people have the willpower to eat well all the time but I've come to realize I'm just never going to be that kind of person who can munch on lettuce all day. I love my carbs and my fat. I just try my best to limit my portions now rather than deny myself of it all together.
  • T_Marie4
    Options
    If it's in your calorie allowance then yes. I may or may not be eating an ice cream sandwich while typing this.

LOL :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I give myself treats every day. Sometimes it's wine. Sometimes it's extra nuts. Sometimes it's something else. This is life.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I give myself treats every day. Sometimes it's wine. Sometimes it's extra nuts. Sometimes it's something else. This is life.

This! I treat myself daily to the things I love!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I have to give myself a "cheat/spike/treat" day once a week. Sometimes a day + 1 meal a week. I typically try to even it out with working out extra. At the very least I would try to make up for the cheat meal. If I go hardcore strict, I know I cannot stay on the path and will get off the track.

I plan to have my spike day tomorrow where I will most likely eat 1,000 calories more than I usually do. I will probably burn that 1,000 calories either tomorrow or day after and even it out
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I figure that the whole point of learning to eat like this is so that we can eat healthy and join in every day functions. I allow myself to eat whatever I want to but I make sure that it is a portion size and if I over do it I always make sure to exercise to try to offset it
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

This! I treat myself daily to the things I love!

I tried doing that but I cannot keep goodies and portion control at home :(
  • kelzpop
    kelzpop Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I absolutely allow myself treats - but I'm not the healthiest eater in the world to begin with (shame on me). My philosophy is that I would rather get to my goal weight by eating things that I love and learn to control portion sizes. Plus, if I tell myself I can't have these things until I get to my goal weight it will a) be all I want to eat and b) when I do choose to eat it, it will likely wreak havoc on my weight loss. That said, I do try to watch my calorie intake the rest of the week and make sure I don't splurge too much.

I've had a ton of treats in the past month with two birthdays, mother's day, an anniversary and a road trip. I wouldn't suggest a month of treats, but one every once in awhile I don't think hurts.
  • T_Marie4
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been trying really hard to be healthy and eat healthy, but also find balance in the not-so-healthy choices - which I haven't been able to do without the guilt, so I do find myself saying 'no' to some of the things I'd love to have. I agree that we shouldn't deprive ourselves of something we want - I think it makes the overall struggle that much more difficult when we do. I very much appreciate the advice and support from all of you - you've helped me realize that I can indulge without the guilt, so long as I don't go crazy and stay within my calories! You are all awesome! It's encouraging to know that even though some of you treat yourselves daily, you still lose weight! :smile:
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't have treats every day, but if I want something I fit it into my calories. Not all the time, if I want a chocolate bar or candy while standing in line at the grocery store I almost always walk away. But today I fit in a bottle of pop, as well as a peice of cake that I baked. We only have dessert on Sundays, I wasn't missing out.