Any great low calorie pasta salads out there?

Options
Countrybride2b
Countrybride2b Posts: 31 Member
Hey everyone! It's that time of year where I'm craving pasta salad! Does anyone make a really yummy, healthy, low calorie pasta salad? I'd love if you shared :)

Thank you! :)

Replies

• Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I just use whatever pasta, like spiral or tricolour ones or whole wheat penne, etc. Add calorie wise Italian dressing, chopped green peppers, red onion, grape tomatoes, and sometimes feta cheese.
    portion size is key for the calories in these, measure out 1/2 to 1 cup depending on what else you're eating. Add chopped grilled chicken for an actual meal.
    ETA: or kidney beans instead of chicken.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    8 ounces bow tie pasta
    3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
    1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
    1/2 cup onions, chopped
    3 cups frozen broccoli cuts, thawed
    12 ounces tuna in water, drained and flaked

Dressing:
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    2 teaspoons honey
    2 teaspoons salt

Cook bow tie pasta according to package directions; drain and cool. Add the peas, bell peppers, onions, broccoli, and tuna.

To prepare dressing, combine vinegar, hot sauce, honey, salt, garlic powder, ginger, and black pepper in another mixing bowl. Pour over the pasta mixture. Toss lightly. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Nutrition information per serving:
    Yield: 8 servings
    Calories: 198; Fat: 2g; Protein: 16g; Carbohydrate: 29g; Cholesterol: 13mg; Sodium: 721; Calories from Fat: 7-percent
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use spiral pasta, black olives, peas, and about 1 ounce of cheese in small cubes per 2 servings. Add Kens Steakhouse light options Olive Oil dressing and it tastes wonderful. You can add whatever veggies you like to bulk it up. I usually add asparagus and green peppers but I've also added cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, and black beans. You can also substitute couscous fo the pasta and feta cheese for the cheddar.
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Go to Smitten Kitchen and try her summer pea and roasted red pepper pasta salad. It's divine. Bit heavy on pasta, but you can always reduce that and add more veggies.
  • jenessae
    jenessae Posts: 23
    Options
    I make any pasta salad recipe only instead of regular pasta I use the Barilla Plus pasta, it's in a yellow box. It has added protein and it doesn't taste bad (like the whole wheat ones). My kids can't tell the difference.
  • Countrybride2b
    Countrybride2b Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Mmm thanks guys!! :)
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt my pasta salad is healthy, but I'm sure you can substitute in healthy choices which I may do this summer. Everyone I know raves about my pasta salad.

1 box of tri-color rotini pasta (you could use whole grain pasta)
    1 can of black olives drained (you can cut them in half if you prefer...I like to leave them whole)
    1 block of colby cheese cubed
    1 block of sharp cheddar cheese cubed
    2 tomatoes chopped
    1 package of Italian seasoning
    1 bottle of Zesty Italian dressing

Cook pasta according to box. Drain it and pour cold water over it. Once all of the pasta is cool, put in a bowl along with the black olives, cheese, and tomatoes. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over all of it. The original recipe (moms recipe) calls for half of it, but I prefer to use the whole thing. Mix. If you are planning on eating it several hours later or a day later, pour in half of the bottle of Italian dressing (you can use light), mix, then refrigerate. Once you are ready to eat, pour in more of the Italian dressing to loosen it up. I usually make it for carry-in's at work. So I do half the bottle of dressing when I first make it, then the next day, I pour in the rest.

Plus, you can always add in your favorite veggies, reduced fat cheese, light dressing...whatever the heck you want. You could probably even ditch the seasoning.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is very related to pasta salad, but I've found a new, fairly low calorie homemade salad dressing. Basically, I just blend a couple of inches of cucumber, with a couple of spoons of sour cream (my hubby actually figured this out trying to make tzatziki), you can add some garlic, chives, tomato, or whatever flavour you like, and it makes a nice, creamy, salad dressing. except for the sour cream, there really isn't much to consider calorie-wise.
  • Lushaholic
    Lushaholic Posts: 62
    Options
    I go this off the hungry girl website:

Ingredients:
    Salad
    6 oz. (about 2 cups) uncooked rotini pasta with at least 4g fiber per 2-oz. serving
    1 zucchini, chopped
    1 large tomato, chopped
    1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 large cucumber, chopped
    1 cup artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and chopped
    1/2 cup roasted red peppers packed in water, drained and chopped
    1/2 cup chopped scallions
    1/4 cup sliced black olives

Dressing
    1/3 cup fat-free Italian dressing
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
    2 tbsp. sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, patted dry, finely chopped

Optional: salt and black pepper

Directions:
    Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.

Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix until blended. Set aside.

Add all remaining salad ingredients to the bowl with the cooked pasta. Add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until completely chilled.

If you like, season to taste with salt and black pepper. Enjoy!

MAKES 8 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1/8th of recipe (1 heaping cup)
    Calories: 124
    Fat: 1.5g
    Sodium: 302mg
    Carbs: 23.5g
    Fiber: 3.5g
    Sugars: 4g
    Protein: 4.5g
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I make the Skinny Taste pasta salad and it's good. It's probably not the healthiest you can get, but mayo based salads are my weakness and it's far less calories than what I used to make while still tasting great:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/05/macaroni-salad-with-tomatoes.html