I have 2 eating disorder and need help!!

Options
i have 2 eating disorders and I am trying to see if anyone else on here is fighting the same fight. I have Binge Eating Disorder and
Bulimia Nervosa. The bulimia was undercontrol for a while which turned into Binge Eating Disorder. No I am fighting the Bulimia again but its not everything I eat now. I binge eat on junk about 1 or twice a week and that is when I purge. I was 240 and now down to 223 I have done it the right way but I feel urges coming on and I want to not give into them. Is there anyone out there having a similar fight. If so what have you done to control the urges. I am great when I am not left alone but when I am alone near food than thats when I have the hardest time.

Replies

• hollywood_girl
    hollywood_girl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Finda a hobby, something you can do with your hands. Take up art, or knitting or even go for a walk or bike ride. Don't let yourself be caught out bored, watching TV and resorting to binging.. Once you master the binging, you can start to concentrate on being healthy and get off the 'all or nothing' rollercoaster :) I've been there before too, it's tough.
    Good luck :)
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    try MFP binge eating support group as well. maybe try journaling writing when you are tempted to binge what you are feeling for example: I feel tempted to binge on pretzles because I just received news that i lost my job etc. sort through your feelings to see if part is emotional eating. like the other poster said find a hobby maybe something like sewing or cross stiching or painting
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Have issues with bulimia myself and also sometimes purge even after eating healthy things, simply because I have eaten to feeling really, really full and don't like that feeling. I have never binged without purging so I presume I do not have binge eating disorder, just some form of bulimia. I used to have anorexia, and still have some of the issues connected to that, which come and go. I sometimes wonder if one can ever truly be 100% free from eating disorders, and the thinking connected to them. Feel free to add me for support. I am just under 5'10 and 123.8Ibs currently.
  • marie_1565
    marie_1565 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have an ED and have good days and bad days. I think that you can't ever really get rid of the feelings or urges but you can get to a point where you aren't swinging back and forth so drastically. If you feel like adding me as a friend I'd be happy to have you.
  • huntingforhipbones
    Options
    I'm trying to recover from bulimia at the moment and the not-purging is making my weight skyrocket. Feel free to add me if you want someone to vent to - although **I might trigger some people in recovery and I am not trying to gain weight** :)
  • KassieCanDoThis
    Options
    I have issues with binge eating as well I actually managed to rack up about 3000 cals in my last binge just yesterday I could never get myself to actually throwup i would just hack and cough leaving my throat sore for days after a hobby is the best idea I got through today by drawing and though the images were a bit dark they actually made me feel better and i eventually started drawing happy things I also sometime just sleep it out but that one isnt always sure fire The key for me is to find something very distracting I have my good and bad days the bad usually come when im stressed i keep very few snacks in the house which helps and when i do binge i try to gear myself towards the healthier food before the mindless stuffing of the face begins which makes a difference calorie wise
  • THEsnails
    THEsnails Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with binge eating currently, and I've had purging episodes in the past few years. Because I am not completely in control of my eating just yet, I can't offer a solution. However, I find that keeping busy is one of the best ways to control myself. The best days are days that I have a lot of classes/ long work shift and I only have a minimal amount of time to eat or even think about food. Then when I get home I'm just too exhausted to binge. The worst thing you can do is sit around and think about eating. If you're upset, go dance around to some loud music or something. Go for a run, splatter paint on the walls, lie in the forest. If you have money to spare: get a gym membership, sign up for drawing classes, any extracurriculars to keep you busy! Also, yoga is great for relaxing and dealing with urges. Just do anything that doesn't involve the kitchen. I know it's harder said then done, and I should take my own advice...but I hope that helps.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i have 2 eating disorders and I am trying to see if anyone else on here is fighting the same fight. I have Binge Eating Disorder and
    Bulimia Nervosa. The bulimia was undercontrol for a while which turned into Binge Eating Disorder. No I am fighting the Bulimia again but its not everything I eat now. I binge eat on junk about 1 or twice a week and that is when I purge. I was 240 and now down to 223 I have done it the right way but I feel urges coming on and I want to not give into them. Is there anyone out there having a similar fight. If so what have you done to control the urges. I am great when I am not left alone but when I am alone near food than thats when I have the hardest time.

You are worth 3 times your weight in gold, and you can beat these eating disorders.
  • adastra808
    adastra808 Posts: 11
    Options
    I struggle with anorexia, which is part of the reason I joined MFP. I used to go full days without eating and not even realize it. By logging what I eat, it forces me to make a conscious decision to eat which is really helpful. The support on this site has also been a big help to me.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Please don't rely just on advice you get from this thread--enter professional treatment. You can live mostly free of the urges and the behaviors, but it's extremely difficult to do on your own and ALWAYS dangerous to attempt on your own. You need your health evaluated at a minimum because of the havoc bulimia in particular can bring upon your body. If you had a friend struggling with cocaine addiction, you probably would tell her to get help. Bulimia and binge eating can be really addicting because of chemical reactions in the body as well as emotional factors--you're going to struggle way more than you need to trying to do this alone.
  • bikerchick567
    bikerchick567 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had struggled with anorexia in high school and bulimia for a number of years after that. I have had a few relapses over the following 22 years that don't last for long. The things that helped most in my recovery were counseling and a support group. I finally just decided that no matter what I ate I wasn't going to purge. My weight did go up; however, when I finally learned to listen to my body and understand the sensations of hunger and being full . . . and ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full then my weight stabilized. I would recommend a support group. If there is nothing in your area then there are some workbooks you can go through.

Other things that have helped are 1-avoiding alcohol. This definitely triggered my binges. I still like my margaritas and wine but really try to stay away from them because I know what will happen. My mood is much more even also when I avoid alcohol.
    2-I try to stay away from bread and simple sugars. I know that it will turn on a craving if I eat those foods. I actually feel fabulous eating your basic fresh fruits and veggies and meat / chicken / fish. I do have them periodically and try not to be stressed out about it but realize how these foods make me feel physically (tired, sluggish . . . not at all talking about guilt) then it is easier to avoid them.

Currently I am on MFP just trying to get fit. I had done triathlons and other distance training and needed to ensure I eat a proper amount of food to sustain my activity. It has been helpful; however, I do need to pay attention and ensure that I don't get obsessed with it.