Anti-depressants?

Options
2»

Replies

• 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on prozac, which unfortunately added to my weight gain. I have tried different brands and have been on some form of anti-depressant for 5 years. I needed it long before that, but my parents were not very attentive in my teen years and told me how i felt was normal for a teenager.
    Wellbutrin is a very good one, as it doesn't have the weight gain side-effect, it has actually cause weight loss in some. I couldn't take it because I get a very rare side effect of anxiety attacks. I stress that is a VERY rare side effect.
    The person that will know best is your doctor. I just see my regular primary care doctor, because my depression issues aren't significant enough to be referred to a mental health clinic. My depression is more from low seritonin. My doctor said that I will be able to get off prozac in a couple years, once it's built up enough seritonin in my system. But it may be sooner now that I exercise more and am more active because that naturally boosts your levels. My goal is to be able to stop taking it by the end of the year.
    Wow, your doctor must be stuck in the 80s. The chemical imbalance theory of depression is pretty much dead.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/01/23/145525853/when-it-comes-to-depression-serotonin-isnt-the-whole-story
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I take celexa / citalopram and I love it. the only side effects I've had were that I was absolutely exhausted in the first week, like not getting out of bed exhausted. 3 years down the line I'm better than I've ever been. Love that stuff.