Slowly steadily gaining, is this normal?

Options
Ive been eating healthy, excersizing and I've cut out sodas for 8 days now. I lost 2 lbs in tne beginninb, now im slowly gaining, weighing more now then when I started. Havent lost any inches either. I went from eating, chips, fries, frozen foods, fast food, to fruits and veges and mainly the only meat I eat is chicken breast, I was drinking at least 2 mt dews a day, ive had one in the past 8 days. Just wondering why im gaining? Shouldnt I lose, or at least stay the same weight?

Replies

• Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but it could be that you went from a very high calorie diet to a low one and your body is just getting used to it and holding on to things for a bit since it doesn't think you're feeding it as much as you used to. It's a temporary thing and as long as you stick with your new eating plan of more healthy things it should start dropping off here soon. Be patient...you're going about it the correct way!
  • jwatts1202
    jwatts1202 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm no expert but it could be that you went from a very high calorie diet to a low one and your body is just getting used to it and holding on to things for a bit since it doesn't think you're feeding it as much as you used to. It's a temporary thing and as long as you stick with your new eating plan of more healthy things it should start dropping off here soon. Be patient...you're going about it the correct way!

Holding on to it makes sense, but I should stay the same weight, not gain right?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I think you are expecting too much in too short a time. in 8 days you say you lost 2lbs and started gaining again. why are you weighing yourself every day? You do understand that you can gain 2lbs overnight just through hormonal changes, or not having drunk enough water or having eaten something salty, right?
  • jwatts1202
    jwatts1202 Posts: 26
    Options
    I think you are expecting too much in too short a time. in 8 days you say you lost 2lbs and started gaining again. why are you weighing yourself every day? You do understand that you can gain 2lbs overnight just through hormonal changes, or not having drunk enough water or having eaten something salty, right?

I did not say I was expecting anything. I am wondering if its normal, that is all. I got a new scale the day after I started that said I was 2 lbs less then my old scale so im not sure if I really lost 2 lbs or if one of the scales is off. But from last monday to today ive gained 4 lbs slowly. Just wondering if anyone else expeirenced this, thats all.
  • Mimi4566
    Mimi4566 Posts: 5
    Options
    I am not an expert either but if you have recently started to, or increased the amount of, exercise and are building muscle, that could be causing a little bit of weight gain. Muscle is heavier than fat but more muscle means more caloric burn ultimately.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I believe you asked this question or similar another day, nothing wrong with that of course! I was told here, in the beginning, several times (and the people are right, and it makes sense) that your body is pretty much in a constant state of fluctuation. Any gain you see from either hour to hour or if you weighed (for example at night) after dinner, then before breakfast, your body could absolutely show a gain -- which would likely be water. It's not an actual gain of fat (it takes 3500 calories to gain 1 pound of fat)

As someone who was a constant weigher, multiple times a day, before eating, after eating, before bed, every single day I weighed in several times. I became frustrated with it. Not truly understanding at the time that the slight ups and downs were completely normal.

My suggestion, pick 1 day a week and only weigh in on that one day. I personally have chosen Saturday, first thing (after any necessary bathroom business lol) in the morning, in my birthday suit. When I was losing, for me this showed a more realistic measure of *progress*. If after 7 days I had lost something, it seemed legit. If after 7 days I had gained anything, it would have been legit.

Plus you are new to this. Your body is probably just going through a bit of confusion with the changes you are making. I'm no expert and I haven't always made the best choices on the up and up 24/7, but when you find the pattern and choices that work for you and your body, you'll begin to see what loses or even little gains are normal. Hope this helps.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

I think Lisa has hit the nail on the head here.

OP you can expect a considerable daily fluctuation in your weight, this is normal. If you want to weigh daily that is fine but if you do so you need to know about this variation. Looking at your diary over the last 8 days it looks pretty good to me. Keep at it and I'm sure you will see results.

Best wishes.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You would have had to be eating 14,000 calories ABOVE your maintenance level to gain four pounds of fat in the past week (pretty much impossible --lol). It also takes a long time to gain muscle weight even if doing extensive weight training. The only possibility remaining is that your body is currently retaining extra water weight. Water weight can fluctuate quite a bit at times and this can happen for various reasons. For women it can often be affected by the time of the month and the water weight will disappear as mysteriously as it came on when it is ready. I suggest you just make sure you are accurately logging everything you are eating and, above all, relax. It has only been a few days. Try not to get too obsessive over the scales. Record your weight only once a week and weigh yourself at the same time of day and while wearing the same clothing (or naked). First thing in the morning after you have gone to the bathroom but before you have eaten or drank anything will give you the most accurate reading of your actual weight.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I agree that it's probably just water weight and your body getting used to the changes. I freaked out this past week because I had gained back 2 pounds of the 6 pounds that I had lost, but this weekend I must have peed it out and sweated it out because I'm back down to where I was plus an extra pound gone. Our bodies can be slightly annoying with all of the fluctuations and changes, but as long as you are eating right and exercising then your body will get with the program and you'll start to see changes. It takes time and patience though. Hang in there! :)