heart rate moniters

Options

Replies

• Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are worth the money. MFP is about as accurate.
    \

YOUR STATEMENT IS <b>inaccurate</b>
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    \

That's ok for you to think that. For the exercises I do, it seems to be so close that it's ridiculous. It's not ok for you to make this statement when I have been comparing for months.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    \

That's ok for you to think that. For the exercises I do, it seems to be so close that it's ridiculous. It's not ok for you to make this statement when I have been comparing for months.

HAHA why you mad though?
  • BlackLabLover
    BlackLabLover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The main difference between the FT4 and FT& is that you can get a HRM reader that uploads your workout info to PolarPersonalTrainer.com. The Flow Link device costs extra. Did you look at the Polar website to compare items? Lots of great info there - good luck!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I really like my Polar FT7. It was about 100 bucks though.. I have heard great things about teh FT4 as well.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I shared this on another HRM thread but I'll add the info here in case it helps others. :flowerforyou:

http://www.bodytronics.com/c/polar_ft_series_heart_rate_monitors

This seems to be a good place to purchase them, free shipping and the lowest place I've found yet.

If there's really not much difference in the FT4 & FT7 I may go with the less costly. I know the FT4 holds 9 workouts (this is what I was told by Polar on the phone, unless someone has been told differently?) and the FT7 holds 99 and you can purchase extra equipment for $50 or so gear to download your workouts if you so desire for the FT7 only.

Here's the current price for each on the above site:

FT4 = SALE PRICE: $61.88
    FT7 = SALE PRICE: $76.11

Often I see codes for discounts for Bodytronics, one may pop up on this page since we're discussing the company now.

I'll go with one of these and for some reason I still can't make a decision which one. Probably because they are so close in comparison it doesn't matter much and might be why I'm stuck trying to decide.

Hope the info above helps someone
  • denise4230
    denise4230 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    \

HAHA why you mad though?

ok, really guys, I'm looking for useful information, not petty comments. Everyone has their own opinion and that's ok, because I am looking for just that, peoples opinions on the subject.
  • neverstray
    Options
    \

HAHA why you mad though?

Not mad, just correcting what you said.
  • neverstray
    Options
    \

HAHA why you mad though?

ok, really guys, I'm looking for useful information, not petty comments. Everyone has their own opinion and that's ok, because I am looking for just that, peoples opinions on the subject.

And that's what I gave...my opinion. I think your money is better left in the bank because according to my calculations, MFP is close enough. It was a waste of money For me.

The exception to this will be, if I start running in the sand, I'll need an HRM, because MFP doesn't have "running in the sand". So it will be useful at that point. I may start doing that after my race next week. But, if there is a default cardio exercise in the database, it should be close enough.
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bookmarked to read later.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Love my FT7! I use it to monitor my heart rate and log the calories burned on MFP. If I'm concerned about over/underestimating calories burned, I double check on the caloriesperhour.com website. I also use mine for water aerobics, and it is a bit unreliable as far as picking up my heart beat.

Good luck!
  • emren
    emren Posts: 4
    Options
    bump
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    I have two.
    The first one my wife bought for me 1.5 years ago. About $30. To get a heart rate I have to hold my finger on the watch face. It's good for spot readings, NOT continuous heart rate monitoring. As I sweat more the watch thinks I am trying to get a reading which is not accurate or just no reading.
    I bought a HRM with a chest strap so I could have a continuous reading.
    I am watching my heart rate, not calories burned.

Here is some interesting reading.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21178923
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/UponThisRock/view/much-ado-about-heart-rate-263994

Very informative, esp. the NIH article. Greater than 25% overestimation of energy expenditure. And yet people will still insist how accurate they are for calorie burn.
  • dahc834
    dahc834 Posts: 3
    Options
    Here is the deal about Heart Rate Monitors, you can get one from Wal-Mart for sure around $30.00 but what you will find is that it doesn't come with a chest strap and if you want to use your HRM while you are working out you will have to constantly be checking your heart rate instead of getting a constant update from the chest strap. Mio is the brand that I use, I got mine for around $60 and it has the chest strap. It gives me constant feedback and accurate reading while my workout and works as an everyday watch other times. Getting a HRM without a chest strap or some kind of constant reading option is a waste of time and money, if you are going to use this tool for fitness tracking.
  • shell514
    shell514 Posts: 12
    Options
    I just got a Timex Ironman HRM from Amazon.com for around $65. It is easy to use.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 weeks ago and it is still sat in its box, because I have been too lazy to try and set it up, and work out how to attach it and everything. I think I get daunted by certain technology, even though I am good with computers.
  • denise4230
    Options
    amazon or ebay

Amazon, I shop there a lot
  • denise4230
    Options
    \

HAHA why you mad though?

And that's what I gave...my opinion. I think your money is better left in the bank because according to my calculations, MFP is close enough. It was a waste of money For me.

The exception to this will be, if I start running in the sand, I'll need an HRM, because MFP doesn't have "running in the sand". So it will be useful at that point. I may start doing that after my race next week. But, if there is a default cardio exercise in the database, it should be close enough.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

For those who have a tendency to over-train or under-train, HRM are great tools, as they can keep you in your fitness improvement zone. Prior to obtaining my HRM that counts calories, I just used the entries from MFP. After using my HRM, I realized the calories burned on MFP were grossly over-stated on some items, and understated on others.

I think it's worth it and anyone who is serious about fitness will tell you the same.
    Same here! I see huge difference under and over from MFP compared to my HRM.

I narrowed my choices down to either a Polar or a New Balance N4. Chest strap type is a must. Money was tight (heck, still is! :tongue: but my clothes aren't - haha! Yay!), so I looked for both models on eBay - items had to be new in the box, with instructions, and the seller had to take returns in case there was a problem. Within a week I had myself a brand new New Balance N4 for $26. :smile: They go for around $70 in stores and online.

Do your research here, then check the reviews on Amazon as well - lots of good info. Figure out what you want and hunt down the best price. Good luck!