How do you cope with buffet/faith lunch meals?

Options
MummaSue
MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
I searched for buffet on the boards and the responses that came up were referring to restaurant /hot buffets which is not what I'm after.
I'm looking for ideas/strategies to help me get through buffets and faith lunches (where everyone brings a plate to share) - you know the kind of thing - where there are sausage rolls, sandwiches, crisps, cheesy biscuit nibbles, cold meats, cheese, slices of quiche, cakes, maybe a few cherry tomatoes if you're lucky! That kind of selection.
Obviously I should only eat a little, but these are often party-type events and I don't want to upset the host, so I don't think I can take my own carrot sticks for example (except to the faith lunch ones!).
Any clever ideas and strategies welcome cos this happens to me more often than I would like (and I can't refuse to go every time!)
Thanks

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Bring your own healthy dish and fill your plate with that, then try little bites of something else. People aren't watching what you eat as much as you think they are.

You can also plan your day around it. Make a very light breakfast that will satisfy you so you are not revenous when you get there. Then you can also plan a light dinner too. Maybe a salad with protien for dinner.

Good luck.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I hope this is a permanent lifestyle change for me and I'm not willing to give up good tasting food at social events for the rest of my life. I just eat lessor quantities and try to make up for any calorie surpluses by eating less in the other two meals of the day. If asked to provide something, offer to bring a vegetable or fruit plate to those.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I don't.

Cool Story Bro Time.

I got to meet John Pinette a few times. Nicest guy on the planet. I told him that his routine about the Chinese Buffets ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdwuiyO7hOU warning cursing and wow he's lost a lot of weight) was personally responsible for me not setting foot into one of them for years.

He told me every fat guy has told him that and he should get a cut from the damn industry for helping keep costs down.

/Cool Story Bro Time over

Also honestly the food at most buffets sucks. Rewarmed, sitting out for hours. It's not even GOOD food. I only have a limited amount of calories to spend, why waste it in garbage.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I find that the best thing that worked for me to tell people that I was watching what I eat to try to lose weight. People are quite nice about accommodating when they know what you are going through!
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    Some ideas - (1) plan ahead and set aside extra calories for that particular meal that day. (2) Eat small portions - There is nothing that says you must eat huge portions to not offend the host. (3) stay away from the fried stuff as much as possible. (4) plan on extra exercise on those days so that you have extra calories.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Take a bite of everything. Then when they ask if you tried it you can honestly say yes, and it was delicious. If anyone asks why you're taking so little, tell them you're on a diet but you wanted to try everything so you're just taking a bite.

Might be a bit hard to log 1 bite of 30 different foods, but that's another problem :tongue:
  • viviennemayer
    Options
    I feel your pain on this one! For starters bring a relish tray or fruit tray for your contribution. If you have a good friend working with you ask them if they'll bring something else to help you both out. Next is to fill half your plate with the fresh fruits and veggies then maybe one or two of the less healthy things and skip the heavy sweets. Also bring your own bottle of water. No one will be hurt or upset that you didn't get to sample their speciality if they know you're trying to stick with a more nutritional meal plan. Most of the time they probably don't even really notice. Nothing wrong with being true to yourself. Good luck!
  • KathieSwenson
    KathieSwenson Posts: 179
    Options
    I would not worry about upsetting the host. Many times my boss brings donuts to work. I don't eat them. They are high in sugar and they spike my blood sugar to much. If you do feel like you should eat take only a bite of something you know is healthy like the cheeses. They are good snacks. But honestly the hostesses / host should not get upset that you didn't eat the very unhealthy stuff. If they do you don't really need to be there and most people are not going to get mad at you for not eating it. Don't be concerned with what that think of you. The only thing that matters is how you feel about yourself and if you are eating within your goals. Trust me I had to learn the same thing myself, but ultimately I would just apologize to them, by being polite and not eat it.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    When I know I'm going to be eating a meal where I can't control what is offered, I will eat light the other meals of the day and exercise a bit extra so I have more calories to "spend" on the meal out. If I plan it right, I can still stay under my calorie limit for the day even if I eat some of those fried, crunchy things at the buffet!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Make a huge salad. Fill up most of your plate with the salad and small portions of everything else. Nobody's offended and you get to eat relatively well.
  • scssam
    scssam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If I know it's coming I eat very little before hand.

I then chalk it up to a cheat day and get back on the program the rest of the week.

Gotta live a little right? :)

"Everybody dies but not everybody lived..."
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these great suggestions, I will take it on board - try and plan better and not feel pressured into eating stuff I know I wouldn't normally choose for myself or is a bad choice for what I am trying to achieve.
    Thanks, feeling more positive about this now.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I simply take my own and grunt if someone complains about it. My life, don't tell me what to eat!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eat beforehand so you're not starving, and then only eat a little bit at the buffet.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I try to have a safe snack before attending and make the best possible choice once I'm there. I pick at things to look social and eat when I get home. If it's pot-luck I bring a safe dish of course
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat before these type of events so not tempted by making bad choices. Bring something that works within your health plan. When someone says you just got to try... come on one bite. With so many of us with high blood pressure, are diabetic, allergies. saying you have health restrictions most people won't insists. Your not lying you have health restrictions in what your choosing to put in your mouth.Excuse your self & move to the next conversation. I carry bottled water with me. help families with kids or the elders with their plates so most don't see I'm not eating. I'm too busy helping out or catching up with friends!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I load up on the fruits or raw veggies. Then have a spoon (not serving spoon utensil spoon) of anything else that looks good. I feel full and I don't feel rude. Especially if the host was the one who spent most likely the past two days making the buffet.

Oh yeah and what the poster above me said, I make sure if I'm especially hunger that day that I have something before I leave.
    I also exercise on the days of events like that so I have a bit more wiggle room.

Restaurant wise, I just don't go to them lol.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If I know it's going to be reallyyy unhealthy stuff and very few good choices, I'll make sure that my meals earlier that day are lighter and I'll toss in an extra walk or 2. I also eat some protein and a full glass of something to drink before I go so I'm not 'starving' when I get there and go overboard. Try to limit the amount of food on your plate, such as 1/4 or 1/2 cup of your fav. dishes and, if possible, pick dishes packed with veggies.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    When my aunt died, the church graciously provided a meal for the family. I checked out the tables before I actually went through the line. The only meat they had was KFC chicken. They had green beans, but basically casseroles. I took 1 chicken breast and did not eat the skin. I also ate green beans and very small portions of a few casseroles. I left all bread (one of my weaknesses) but did choose a small dessert. I ate it and enjoyed it. I ate slowly and chatted with the people at my table. The fact that you're there is what's important. Take something that you know is healthful and then just fill in with small amounts of other foods. Exercise to help with the fall-out. Good luck!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to feign feeling a little off-kilter - not "sick", as then people won't want to be around you, but maybe just having an off-day or maybe a slight headache, but for whatever reason, you're just not hungry, but my goodness, everything DOES look SO GOOD. Gushing over someone's contribution is sometimes just as gratifying for that other person as you actually filling a plate with it. Asking for the recipe (even if you have zero intention of ever making it) is also a great trick. ;)