My Current State - I think I need help

Options
Let's see... I weigh 125, I'm 5'4, and I'm eating 1,400 calories a day, usually consuming a part of my exercise calories. I'm doing 30 DS everyday except Mondays and I just finished day 4 of level 2 yesterday, I'm also trying to include cardio into my exercise routine, so I'm doing 20-40 minutes of Turbo Jam on that Monday as well as every day with 30 DS except for Sunday. I'm learning about food every day, and so I'm hoping my diary is progressively improving. The rest of the day I'm resting because it's my vacation and I really need it. I drink a lot of water as well. I'm not sure if what I'm doing will help me tone up. It's only been a week and although I don't see any major improvement I'm hoping to in about two-three weeks, is it possible? Before this account I lost 15 pounds, but now it's so much harder to tone up, I have extra flab here and there!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Just given your stats (specifically, you're not overweight), I'm going to suggest that the best way to firm up and improve your body composition would be to look into weight training. I'm not talking about losing weight here, I'm talking about creating a more fit look.

There's a few other things you'd need to do, like make sure you're getting in adequate protein intake (1g/lb lean mass) and setting your calories appropriately (probably just very slightly under TDEE).

This isn't to say that you can't accomplish your task with your current method -- I just think resistance training would be the biggest benefit.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week and although I don't see any major improvement I'm hoping to in about two-three weeks, is it possible?

For starters I think you need more protein in your diet to give your body the building blocks to create more muscle. I'd also recommend taking a Multi Vitamin and EFAs.

You won't see any massive changes in a week or even a month, they are very gradual and for big changes you need hard work and discipline over a long term. Nothing will happen quickly. Transformations don't happen over night. Losing weight and building muscle is a very slow process that can take years and you need to be thinking in those terms.
  • BlowYourMind
    BlowYourMind Posts: 162
    Options
    Dang, I was hoping to see some improvements in a couple months...I'm pretty close to my goal already.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    The problem is likely with how you lost the 15 pounds--severe calorie restriction will leave you flabby and unhappy with your body 9 times out of 10. So I recommend eating at maintenance..probably 1800-2000 calories a day minimum...and start lifting weights. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great beginner book for weight lifting.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    Dang, I was hoping to see some improvements in a couple months...I'm pretty close to my goal already.

Problem is it's difficult to gain much muscle mass while you're restricting your calories to lose weight. Muscle growth is also very slow in comparison to weight loss.

Many body builders use bulking/cutting cycles to grow muscle and keep their BF percentage low. But I think that is getting ahead of where you are at the moment. First things first you need to start getting more protein in your diet and doing strength training and just adjust as you go, it's a learning experience.
  • BlowYourMind
    Options

Problem is it's difficult to gain much muscle mass while you're restricting your calories to lose weight. Muscle growth is also very slow in comparison to weight loss.

Many body builders use bulking/cutting cycles to grow muscle and keep their BF percentage low. But I think that is getting ahead of where you are at the moment. First things first you need to start getting more protein in your diet and doing strength training and just adjust as you go, it's a learning experience.
    Problem is, it seems I just can't get enough protein. I live with my family so I try my best to maximize what's here. So if there is lean beef I cook it, or pork chops as well. I also like eating raw peanuts and Greek yogurt, but these foods are not always here at once. Of course whenever I go shopping I try to get them here as often as possible.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    Problem is, it seems I just can't get enough protein.

I can't do it through diet either and I have access to stuff like Kangaroo meat, which you probably wouldn't.

I have to use a protein shake. I usually take it after my work out.
  • BlowYourMind
    Options
    Problem is, it seems I just can't get enough protein.

I can't do it through diet either and I have access to stuff like Kangaroo meat, which you probably wouldn't.

I have to use a protein shake. I usually take it after my work out.
    I love making shakes, usually with some form of yogurt.