FitBit - Is it worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice with it.
    Sounds like something I may really be interested in.
    I have a $25 GC for Best Buy and think I may use it for this.
    I'm extremely intrested in the sleep monitor portion of it as I have troubles falling & staying asleep.
    Though I've noticed that the more I exercise (currently doing the C25K program), the sleep issue seems to be working itself out.

Where else do people put it besides a bra?
    I'm not too crazy about that idea.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice with it.
    Sounds like something I may really be interested in.
    I have a $25 GC for Best Buy and think I may use it for this.
    I'm extremely intrested in the sleep monitor portion of it as I have troubles falling & staying asleep.
    Though I've noticed that the more I exercise (currently doing the C25K program), the sleep issue seems to be working itself out.

Where else do people put it besides a bra?
    I'm not too crazy about that idea.

It comes with a belt clip & I wear it on my hip.
  • stephnerR
    stephnerR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Have any of you owned your FitBit for 6+ months? I was looking into purchasing one but when I looked at reviews it seemed the FitBit stopped working after about 6+ months.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Have any of you owned your FitBit for 6+ months? I was looking into purchasing one but when I looked at reviews it seemed the FitBit stopped working after about 6+ months.

I've had mine since December (we have 3 of them in the house) & the only problem I've had was one of the bases stopped working. I saw in another thread that they have very good customer service, so I'm going to try & get that resolved this week.

Lilacdreamer - Are you being nice when you inform people that a fitbit is not a HRM?
  • sweetmelissa40
    Options
    I've just bought one from Ebay -- looking forward to it arriving. General opinion does seem to be that they are worth it! Good luck x

Did you by a second hand one?

It's described as brand new and box still sealed, so should be OK I hope. Got it for £65!

you got the one with like 19 bids that converted to like $104 or $105 us? Yes i stalk ebay every second for a fitbit.

First of all...I'm a school teacher....bleh, bleh, bleh. :laugh:
    Saw your screen name here and thought I'd poke some fun at the person who scolded you for being rude.
    Have a fantastic day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jeffdoc
    jeffdoc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Quick Update on the shopping of my FitBit to Canada:

I live in Prince Edward Island. FitBit site said it could take 4-6 weeks to deliver to Canada due to Customs delays.

Mine arrived in 3 days. *LOL*

Been using it for 4 days now....LOVE IT!!

Cheers!

Jeff
  • BGLaffoon
    BGLaffoon Posts: 5
    Options
    FitBit is worth every penny for me. I didn't realize how inactive I was on work days. I have an office job. At the end of a work day, I am exhaused and thus feel like I have burned a lot of calories that day. On days that I am off from work, just shopping, or working doing household chores, I was actually burning a lot more calories. I can no longer lie to myself and say that I have put in a hard day when the FitBit says that i have taken on 1500 steps!!!!! If activity level is a problem for you, then FitBit is a great motivational tool.
  • DarkFlutter
    Options
    I got mine over the weekend.
    I wanted it mainly for tracking actual exercise times (currently doing the C25K program) and sleep.
    I am not wearing it throughout the day as I do not it want to track normal activity as exercise.

So far I am liking it.
    Thought I wish it had a reset button..instead of auto reset at midnight.
    O well.

Overall, I am enjoying it :0)
  • DarkFlutter
    Options
    FitBit Update: Loving the sleep analysis! I wondered why I was so tired yesterday so I checked it out...it took 21 minutes to fall asleep (average person is 7) and I woke up 22 times during the night. No wonder I was tired! I am finally getting the hang of it. I think it will be very useful. I didn't like that the internet told you how to make the log but not how to retrieve it. After a bit more practice I may start to use it all the time. But I want to make sure I get the correct workout data first :0)

I got mine over the weekend.
    I wanted it mainly for tracking actual exercise times (currently doing the C25K program) and sleep.
    I am not wearing it throughout the day as I do not it want to track normal activity as exercise.

So far I am liking it.
    Thought I wish it had a reset button..instead of auto reset at midnight.
    O well.

Overall, I am enjoying it :0)
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi... I'm waiting for my fitbit to arrive ordered from amazon uk.. Not sure where to wear it though.. Is the bra the best place for a woman even though some of it will be rubbing against flesh??
  • DarkFlutter
    Options
    Right now I am only using mine for workouts and sleep.
    For workouts I clip it to the inside of my shorts pocket.
    For sleeping, I use the provided wristband.
    You don't want to use the wristband for workouts as any arm movement would log as a step.
    Hi... I'm waiting for my fitbit to arrive ordered from amazon uk.. Not sure where to wear it though.. Is the bra the best place for a woman even though some of it will be rubbing against flesh??
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Wait.. I thought I understood but I don't. I earned 706 calories on MFP because I walked extra and did an 1 hour and 30mins of gardening. Now, my fitbit exercise calories(the walking ones) are.. going down? They were like 335 because of the walking, but now it's 97 calories?

did it drop after you logged your extra activity onto MFP?
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    I have had mine about 10 days, and I really like it. I am a SAHM, and I was interested in seeing how much I was really moving. I think the only day that I don't hit my 12000 steps is Thursday, the day that I call my "lazy day"--yesterday I did my normal 4x a week workout, and normal daily stuff, and hit 14500 steps!

I think it will be interesting this summer to see how many steps I get in doing things like taking the kids to the zoo for a few hours, or how many steps I take taking my son to his clinics ( he goes to a behavior clinic at one hospital, and a dental clinic at another). IMO, totally worth the $100!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Could someone tell me how you wear FItbit? arm? waist? clip on?belt? and do you have to do something to set it up to YOUR own steps? I'm reallyk no good with number stuff and I had a pedometer that was like that once and I never could get it set up....tha;nks
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    Could someone tell me how you wear FItbit? arm? waist? clip on?belt? and do you have to do something to set it up to YOUR own steps? I'm reallyk no good with number stuff and I had a pedometer that was like that once and I never could get it set up....tha;nks

I wear mine on the center of my bra. Haven't had any issues with false readings. it IS possible to set your stride, but the default stride is set according to your gender and height.
  • 1lizette1
    1lizette1 Posts: 14
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit for 9 days now. I love that it tracks my sleep too. I really need to walk on a flat surface, count my steps and see if the Fitbit is accurate for me ..... really need to do that.
    I charged it the night I got it on the base. I haven't charged it since. The "dashboard" battery meter says the level is at medium so it looks like I won't have to charge it for a few days yet. I had visions of having to charge it every other day or something. So glad I was wrong.
    I wear mine for the most part in the supplied plastic clip on my waist band or on my belt if I wear one. I tried it on my bra but that didn't work for me (you could see it poking up in my shirt. lol). Hopefully when I lose a lot more weight my girls will be smaller therefore I can hide the Fitbit better on my bra?
    I also love that it sincs with MFP. That was the reason I bought the Fitbit actually.
    I paid $95 on ebay.ca and it was new in box