600Cal/Day Burn HEEEEELLLPPPP!!!

Options
Hi, so I've come to the dreaded plateau where my intake is at it's lowest (1200/day) and my BMR is only like 1500 and change. At this rate my weight loss is only like 2lbs a month. I want to make it 1.5-2lbs a week by adding more exercise.

With that said and the math done I need to burnr roughly an additional 600/cal per day! Is this even realistic without losing my mind??? Anyone at that level of BURN? If so please send suggestions. I am a fulltime mom and account analyst for the hospitals clinical lab so in short my time is limited except maybe saturdays. Any high impact short time suggestions?

Replies

• malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Running?
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    try Tabata training.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hi, so I've come to the dreaded plateau where my intake is at it's lowest (1200/day) and my BMR is only like 1500 and change. At this rate my weight loss is only like 2lbs a month. I want to make it 1.5-2lbs a week by adding more exercise.

With that said and the math done I need to burnr roughly an additional 600/cal per day! Is this even realistic without losing my mind??? Anyone at that level of BURN? If so please send suggestions. I am a fulltime mom and account analyst for the hospitals clinical lab so in short my time is limited except maybe saturdays. Any high impact short time suggestions?

Working out 2.5 hours at the gym I burn 750 calories.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Do you mean BMR or TDEE?

Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is probably a lot higher and you may well be at the maximum recommended daily deficit of 1000 cals per day already.
  • ThatKirstyGirl123
    ThatKirstyGirl123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred exercise DVD- It's an intense workout, but only lasts 20 minutes! :)
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I burn 450 calories in 40 minutes of fast paced bike riding. In an hour, you should be able to burn about that much.

However, if you've plateaued, you might want to try mixing up your diet and maybe eating MORE calories. It is more about shocking your body than anything so if the 600 calorie burn isn't doable, at least spend 2 weeks trying to up your calories and maybe some different workouts.
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i burn 1000 calories a day lots of times ..
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I do a lot of Cross Fit classes and generally burn 1200-1400 calories per session when I attend per my heart rate monitor (60 min)... I would try giving something like that a shot. It's a combo of cardio and strength training too so it should help boost your metabolism. Super tough but fun classes
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Gym classes? If you have the time :/ it's a hard one. I've been plateauing for 2 months now and my doctor today suggested maintaining for 6 months then trying to lose my final stone (14lbs) I'm happy to do that but I know you might not be. It is really hard when you don't have the time. Can you jog to or from work? Walk more? Do some work out dvds at home?
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    So - you are eating below your BMR and not losing weight?

Duh.
    Really?

EAT MORE!
  • nugirl12
    nugirl12 Posts: 1
    Options
    if you have a wii, you could try the zumba for wii...it tracks your calories for you. i usually do one of the wii zumba classes (you can pick from short, med. & long) with sit-ups, planking and weights (while watching t.v at night). i have 2 babies and am short on time too, so if i get to do the zumba, i shorten the weights and if i don't zumba or do a short class I amp up the sit-ups, etc. it's kept me at an average of 2 pounds a week since january. good luck!!!
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You could try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred exercise DVD- It's an intense workout, but only lasts 20 minutes! :)
    That is not enough. I'm buring by this workout around 230 cals. Maybe insanity would be better, it is around 30-40 min and burning around 500, maybe ad a other 30 min of something and you have your number
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you trying to die?

Your BMR is the absolute minimum you need to eat to stay alive. The BMR is your brain functions, heart beat, breathing, etc, it is the bare minimum you eat to just stay alive with zero activity. This is important if you are in a coma. But, if you move at all, like get up out of bed, shower, go to work or school, adn do other stuff, including exercise, you need to eat more than your BMR.

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. You need to figure out that number and then eat about 15% to 20% below that number, but always above BMR.

By your post, it doesn't sound like you understand this at all. I hope I've helped and I hope you do some more reading about this topic.
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you trying to die?

Your BMR is the absolute minimum you need to eat to stay alive. The BMR is your brain functions, heart beat, breathing, etc, it is the bare minimum you eat to just stay alive with zero activity. This is important if you are in a coma. But, if you move at all, like get up out of bed, shower, go to work or school, adn do other stuff, including exercise, you need to eat more than your BMR.

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. You need to figure out that number and then eat about 15% to 20% below that number, but always above BMR.

By your post, it doesn't sound like you understand this at all. I hope I've helped and I hope you do some more reading about this topic.

ummmm since death is obviously not my goal...duh! Yeah the info helped a little and what I meant was TDEE I was talking to a friend and writing this post at the same time so while my multitasking is not so strong I understand fine...and in this you added absoulutely no suggestions for exercise...thanks, i guess :-/
  • tasiamere
    Options
    Do you mean BMR or TDEE?

Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is probably a lot higher and you may well be at the maximum recommended daily deficit of 1000 cals per day already.

Yeah I meant TDEE I was explaining the difference between TDEE and BMR while typing...bad multitasking. Correct my TDEE is 2199 and I am at 1200/day. I plan to eat some of my exercise calories to make sure the deficit is not too much to trigger starving or anything.
  • tasiamere
    Options
    if you have a wii, you could try the zumba for wii...it tracks your calories for you. i usually do one of the wii zumba classes (you can pick from short, med. & long) with sit-ups, planking and weights (while watching t.v at night). i have 2 babies and am short on time too, so if i get to do the zumba, i shorten the weights and if i don't zumba or do a short class I amp up the sit-ups, etc. it's kept me at an average of 2 pounds a week since january. good luck!!!

Thanks! I like zumba and I've only been using the Wii for the "Crunch" workouts non Netflix. I'll have to see if I can get this one.
  • paigeup
    paigeup Posts: 3
    Options
    I walk 15,000 to 20,000 steps a day
  • tasiamere
    Options
    I do a lot of Cross Fit classes and generally burn 1200-1400 calories per session when I attend per my heart rate monitor (60 min)... I would try giving something like that a shot. It's a combo of cardio and strength training too so it should help boost your metabolism. Super tough but fun classes

Thanks! I'm going to see if my gym offers this.
  • tasiamere
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE! GREAT INFO AND SUGGESTIONS.
  • PraguuMaya
    PraguuMaya Posts: 16
    Options
    Kickboxing!

DO TURBOFIRE!

but for home workouts: run stairs (if you have them), do fast jumping exercises.

or I recommend you download the free Nike app called Nike Training in your iphone/ipod. It's awesome! :)