Why did you guys end up here?

Options
elekelk
elekelk Posts: 107
There probably already exist a couple of posts like this but I was wondering how people ended up here. There is probably a million reasons to pack on the pounds and I think its good to think about what you did to get to your highest weight and what you need to change.

I can start.

I ended up on this site because I grew up in a family with a bad relationship with food. We used to "fight" over who got the last piece and hide candy from each other. Food was something special connected to feelings and a big deal in our family. I also did not think that calories applied to me. I just ate what I felt like and how much I wanted because I just thought "I enjoy it, why not?"

Replies

• marzinator13
    marzinator13 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    ive always ate bad my whole life. When i was 5 my parents got divorced. When I went to my dads it was fast food every meal followed by dessert. Also, we lived with my grandma and every day after school I had a chicken nugget meal from mcdonalds waiting for me. I was not over weight until I got to highschool. The biggest i got was 155 so i was only five lbs overweight. ( Im 5'5"). I taught dance and took dance classes since i was three and was on the school dance team so I was able to eat what I wanted and pretty much maintain my weight.
    Then I joined a dancing team for hockey games. They were tough on weight so I joined a place and after getting to 160 i got back down to 143 and was in good shape. I was weight lifting an hour and a half four days a week.
    Then it all came crashing down. I decided to move for school. I stopped dancing, stopped teaching dance, had a fall out at the place i was working out so I stopped working out all together.
    Within 4-5 months, not really sure, I went from 142 to 185.
    This march I finally found the strength to join this sight. Im engaged and I want to be proud to walk down the aisle not ashamed of my body. Im tired of not going out and doing things because I am ashamed of what I look like. I want to feel good about myself, not cry every time I look in the mirror. So here I am ready to change

Started March 2012 @ 202lbs
    Today - 182
    Goal Weight - 145

( sorry if grammar is bad do not have time to go over this lol)
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I found this place while looking thru apps on my new phone. Originally I used it to track caloires.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I was tired of slowly watching my clothes get tighter, hiding my terrible relationship with food, and generally feeling like *kitten*. I've been at it for over two months now, and I feel much better :-)
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    ive always ate bad my whole life. When i was 5 my parents got divorced. When I went to my dads it was fast food every meal followed by dessert. Also, we lived with my grandma and every day after school I had a chicken nugget meal from mcdonalds waiting for me. I was not over weight until I got to highschool. The biggest i got was 155 so i was only five lbs overweight. ( Im 5'5"). I taught dance and took dance classes since i was three and was on the school dance team so I was able to eat what I wanted and pretty much maintain my weight.
    Then I joined a dancing team for hockey games. They were tough on weight so I joined a place and after getting to 160 i got back down to 143 and was in good shape. I was weight lifting an hour and a half four days a week.
    Then it all came crashing down. I decided to move for school. I stopped dancing, stopped teaching dance, had a fall out at the place i was working out so I stopped working out all together.
    Within 4-5 months, not really sure, I went from 142 to 185.
    This march I finally found the strength to join this sight. Im engaged and I want to be proud to walk down the aisle not ashamed of my body. Im tired of not going out and doing things because I am ashamed of what I look like. I want to feel good about myself, not cry every time I look in the mirror. So here I am ready to change

Started March 2012 @ 202lbs
    Today - 182
    Goal Weight - 145

( sorry if grammar is bad do not have time to go over this lol)

Good for you :) You seem to have though about it and realized the problem, I wish you all the luck.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I barely fit into the chairs of the fairground rides at Funderland at Christmas.. lol that did it for me
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I made a wrong turn at Albuquerque.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Lack of self control
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I simply needed an easy to use food and exercise tracker and ended up "meeting" some wonderful people that make this health and fitness thing a whole lot more fun!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am too lazy to look for anything better
  • aradalj1
    aradalj1 Posts: 23
    Options

:laugh:
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Half the weight from my 2 kids but afterwards I had a birthcontrol, an IUD I gained 14 pounds while on that and worked out constantly and the weight would not budge.

Ended up here b/c I saw how heavy I looked in pictures and was shocked, I had lack of energy and also I wanted to be fast in my races again! Finally starting to regain control of my life!
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options

That will get you EVERY time!!!
    :-)

LOL!
  • KeenamCausey
    Options
    It started out as a weight challenge at work, the 1st place winner with the highest amount of weight in percentage will win $275. Now it is because I fill so dang good, can actually walk up stairs without having to stop at middle landing to rest. Any reason is a good reason LOL :smile:
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a poor household. We ate junk food constantly, but only the very cheap stuff. I got one or two meals a day (a nutritionally void meal at home, and a free school lunch), and I learnt that food was a scarce resource to be consumed whenever possible. I also saw fast food or eating out as a rare treat - I got to go to McDonalds on my birthday, and that was a big thing!

Once I moved out and had the money to buy three meals a day, and snacks, I didn't stop. I kept eating the same junk I knew, but then got to know a guy (now my fiance) and became his best friend. I'd go to his house every day - he's morbidly obese and would eat constantly (his reason is that he came from a single-mother family, and his mum would use food as an apology for going out to work, as a reward, as a treat - he's grown up with food as a replacement for a father, almost). I had the money, he had the appetite, and so I paid for an abundance of food and he bought the same junk I'd always eaten. Still having the 'food is scarce' mentality, I continued to eat everything I could, now in larger quantities than ever before.Eventually, I became addicted. THAT was when I packed on the pounds. Junk was fine when I was starving - I now know I was nowhere near healthy, but I was thin at least!

I was happy being big for a year or two, which is all it took me to reach obesity from being a normal weight. Then, I found my motivation to change. I'm still overweight now, but no longer obese - most importantly, I've learnt about fitness and nutrition, so I'm now far healthier than ever before.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    From the time I was about 10 to the time I hit puberty I was over weight, from my teenage years on up I was over weight but held it ok. I ended up here when I became uncomfortable in my skin. I heard a lot of great things about this place. For the most part I love this place. If I would have listened to my family while growing up, I would have never had to fine this place. Poor choices, no working out, thinking I wasn't as big as I was till I seen a photo. That's pretty much how I ended up here.
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...a horrible photo of my husband and i in Mexico this past fall. I had tried to lose some weight and shape up before our vacation but I gave up. So here i am again, determined and committed to changing my life for the better.
  • mimiclown
    mimiclown Posts: 32
    Options
    I have 5 sibling, 4 kids, 5 grandkis, more cousins, aunts and uncles than I can count. We all get together for EVERYTHING and, it always involves food.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    What's up doc?
    I got Linkin Park tickets!!!!! \m/

I ended up here because the background looked incredibly similar to plentyoffish, just thought they were adding an exercise element to the program....but I decided to stick around anyway \m/
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    A year after I had my son I had not lost all of the baby weight. I was walking through the airport when I overheard a TSA agent talking about this really pretty black girl. I looked up honestly expecting that they were talking about me. (Yes I am that vain). Their backs were to me. When they turned around to check my bag they barely noticed me. :sad:

I had to get back to being the subject of such conversations. However my friends on MFP are the coolest most awesome people. And THEY have inspred me to worry less about looks and more about being healthy.

But I still want to be hot!
  • insights2
    insights2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Knew I needed to lose weight, and tried a few times through other plans. I failed ultimately with them even after losing some initially, but for some reason, this is working. Maybe because I can eat what I want as long as I track it, without feeling like I've failed or are "off plan" somehow. A friend recommended it.
    Free is always good, too.