Completed my first 3 mile walk this morning!

slinne
slinne Posts: 46 Member
So I decided it was time for me to get more exercise, so yesterday I decided I was going to start walking. I would like to eventually get into running and complete a 5 k, half-marathon, and a full marathon. But walking is where I am going to start! haha

So yesterday I got on to mapmywalk.com and mapped out a 3.12 mile walk around my neighborhood. My plan is to try to do this first thing in the morning after my breakfast, for 5 days a week. So I started that this morning.

I didn't know if I was going to be able to complete it because I am so heavy and out of shape, and if I did complete it I figured it would take at least 90 minutes. BUT I did complete it this morning, and with a time of 63 minutes! I am very happy with that start. I'm already excited to do it again tomorrow!

Replies

• Way to go man! You're a braver man than I. I started out really small with a mile walk. Been doing it for 3 days now and I can REALLY feel it in my legs. It was really burning this morning. I'm gonna do it for a week and then bump it up to 2 miles....when I can do 2 I may try to start jogging instead of walking. Keep up the good work. You can do it!!
  • slinne
    Thanks man. My legs didn't really burn, but the soles of my feet did. I really need to get some running shoes. My current shoes just aren't made for that kind of thing.

Good luck with your walking! I will eventually try to start jogging, but I'm going to walk for at least a month before i try to mix any jogging in.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,358 Member
    You are both doing geat. I wish you continued success.........Woooooooo.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Good job!! I love walking - and am always surprised how sore I can get from it! Definitely get good shoes. And as you progress, if you want to run, try the c25k program - great combination of walking & running to get you going.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Fantastically well done! You did it in a good time, too.

Make sure you've got some good cushioning in your trainers and consider buying a pair of running socks to keep your feel blister and ache free. I usually just buy online (brands such as Hilly are good).
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    that is so awesome and it my favorit form of exercise
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Wow! Congrats! You are awesome!!!

Just make sure you don't get too sore and get burnt out quickly. If you do, back off some and gradually build back up distance then increase your speed.

And yes, definately get fitted for good shoes. I just bought some Brooks running/walking shoes and they feel like slippers. Love, love them!

I started walking Christmas Eve and now I can walk/hike up to 10 miles a day. After losing 35lbs I started C25K and had a 2 week setback after tripping over my dog but I'm back at it and so far, so good!

Good luck! I'm super proud of you! You are going to do great things for yourself! <hugs>
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    i second the use of c25k when you start jogging. ive never been a runner and i can now jog for a whole 30 minutes through using that. i plan on signing up for a 5k once i get some more speed. :)
  • feels amazing, right? and the best thing? it just keeps getting easier, next thing you know you'll be walking 5! keep it up!
  • Awesome! Congrats you guys!! You're very inspiring!
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Way to go! I would suggest you walk as you plan, maybe 30-60 days and then work towards running. Running will burn more calories in a shorter period of time. The Couch to 5k program is an excellent way to get started, you will be able to run the whole 3.1 miles (5k) within about 9 weeks.

I srated at 318 pounds and I'm lost around 128 pounds, I now average running 45-50 miles a week (run not job because I average between 8-8:30 per mile). I have done around 10 5Ks, a 7.5K, 2 10Ks a half marathon and am training for a marathon in July.

If I can do it anyone can, good luck on your fitness journey!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    I started walking about 6 weeks ago around the mall next to where I work. After a couple of days I started to add some stairs into my route. Now I get an hour of walking before work which includes about 4 miles and 20 flights of stairs. Then I started walking on my breaks too and make a point to walk any time and anywhere I can. Need something from the corner store about a mile a way, I walk. On Thursdays when I play poker at the local bar, I walk. This morning I walked 6 miles around my neighborhood in 90 minutes, even threw a little jogging into it, and feel like I could do more so I am going to play 9 holes of golf this afternoon.

Just wanted you to know that you will be up and running before you know it. IF, you stay committed and do it every day no matter how much you don't want to.
  • That is awesome!! Having solid goals to work toward is definitely a strategy successful people use. Sounds like you've got the part figured out and have yourself motivated to move. Keep celebrating the successes! =)
  • slinne
    Thanks guys for all the comments and tips. They are very inspiring to me. I know I can do this. I lost the weight before, but gained it back because I didn't learn how to maintain. This time around I am learning every step of the way.

I have never been a walker or a runner, so I am very excited about this next step in my journey. Thank you all again for all the tips and encouragement!
  • tf_clayton
    tf_clayton Posts: 7 Member
    Congratulations!! Awesome job, today 3 miles tomorrow Iron Man competition!
  • Rahneene
    Rahneene Posts: 14
    Congrats!!!! That's awesome! Yes...get some running shoes specific to your needs...it will make the world of difference!!!