Women In Their 40's Struggling With Their Weight Coming Off?

Options

Replies

• sapphireblu64
    sapphireblu64 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If life wasn't hard enough. then the mid forties hit and everything goes out of whack.
  • Auntzip
    Auntzip Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It really is a little tougher to lose the weight after 40, which is why this site is so helpful. We can help each other stay motivated!
    Feel free to join our group "Forty Isn't Fatal". :- )
  • Arya1967
    Arya1967 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My aunt started a low carb diet in her fifties. She's now 70 and has never been this svelte!

That said, I was put on medication that brought on the menopause and the weight gain I had was scary. I'm not talking about an "excuse", I was still registering what I ate and I was actually eating less (due to nausea), but I gained 5kg in a month. Woah.
  • StephGodsPrincess
    StephGodsPrincess Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used many excuses as to why I couldnt lose... age...menepausal..... metabolism.... hereditary, in the genes.....just meant to be big... but I was only making excuses and telling myself lies.
    At 48 ...premenepauseI... i started changing my lifestyle.... eating healthy... changing behaviours and the way I ate... and I am almost 50 now...and That is why I have 385 lbs OFF.... losing weight at any age CAN happen...JUST DO IT.

That is awesome that you lost this much. See how much you have lost and been able to keep off gives me hope as I have originally 200 pounds to go, and still have 180 to go. Believe me I am in no way making an excuse. I am doing what I need to do. I am not going to give up. I was just asking if others struggle with their weight loss since entering their 40's and any advice on what worked for them to help keep the pounds coming off. I have done a 360 on my eating I exercise at least an hour if not more everyday besides the running around I just do with a 3 and 5 year old. I know it CAN happen and WILL happen just reaching out to others who have faced my struggle with the weight loss coming slowly since initial weight loss.
  • hummerseeker
    hummerseeker Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the other responses, but I'll give my 2 cents worth. I just turned 48, and recently have lost 42 pounds. I eat clean, and I mean clean. No processed anything. At the grocery store, I shop around the perimeter of the store and avoid the aisles, meaning fresh vegetables, meats....not a bunch of packaged crap. I still enjoy my food, but instead of unhealthy choices I choose healthy substitutes. There is a healthy sub for each unhealthy thing. Instead of butter, use chicken broth. I make my own from my weekly roasted chickens, for example. I spend more time in the kitchen, no time eating out. If you want to friend me, you can check out my diary. I love to cook, so this was a challenge at first, but I have had fun with it. I have found that this weight loss thing is 85% food, 15% exercise, but I still work out intensely and often. I have a new fit and toned body to show for it. Basically, expend more than you put in, make it healthy, and you WILL lose. I lost the majority of mine in the first three months, and then VERY slowly thereafter. Your body needs to know that it will not starve, so FEED it, but with health. If your current exercise regime is not working any longer, change it up, increase intensity or both.
  • StephGodsPrincess
    StephGodsPrincess Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who have responded and understand the struggle. I love all the suggestions and advice. I do take vitamins daily as well as a 5000iu of vitamin D everyday due to low levels in that. I am going to try the things suggested here and see how it goes. I know each of us is different and we have to find what works for us individually. So I will continue to tweak and change things until I got the right formula for me. Thanks again ladies you are all an inspiration:smile:
  • Sunpoet
    Sunpoet Posts: 67
    Options
    Boy can I relate to this topic. I'm 48 and losing weight is a struggle for me now compared to even just 10 years ago. I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago putting me into menopause and wow, the weight just seemed to come out of nowhere. I realize that although my eating habits could use improvement, the real culprit was not moving my body. For me, healthy eating isn't enough, I must exercise to keep my metabolism up or even a low calorie diet doesn't work. Good luck and hang in there. Friend me if you like and I'll help offer encouragement as we all work on this new journey.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • wilson1024
    wilson1024 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey there I'm 46 and yes it is a struggle! It has taken me 3 months to lose 20 lbs. I had a hysterectomy when I was about 35 yrs old. I didn't start really gaining weight until I married about 3 yrs ago, just happy and alot of good eating! LOL But 50 lbs in 3 yrs caught up with me quick! I still have a ways to go but I've just learned just to keep doing what I am doing and it will pay off in the end. I am very happy with the 20 lb loss but I'm still going for that other 30 lbs. I have adapted to my change in eating habits and found that eating bad food will make you sick after you've been eating healthy your body rejects it! I literally got sick from a cheat day that I had because my body was not use to it. So that said I have made this my lifestyle now and try not to really think of it as dieting anymore. I must say I do feel so much better! So to all the 40 yrs + ages Hang In There! It might take us a little longer then it use to in our younger ages but it will definetly pay off in the long run. Just keep doing what your doing! I went almost a month bf seeing a weight change which is very discouraging but then I weighed myself and it just fell off! seriously I got on the scale about 5 different times to make sure I was reading it right! lol Good luck to all! Don't give up :)
  • jen9506
    jen9506 Posts: 14
    Options
    I am in my 40s and from what I've observed from my other 40-something friends is: People who do a lot of strength training seem to struggle a lot less. I have a friend my age who has totally transformed her body by following a Paleo diet and doing Cross-fit. She looks amazing and she doesn't feel like she's on some crazy diet. I think that cardio is great but if you really want to see results, you have to strength train. I'm trying to figure out how to work that into my life in a way that works for me. :)
  • stars67
    stars67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have put on over 10 pounds of the 40 I lost. I hate that this happens to me but I know why. Now I need help! I need good lunch ideas please. I barely have 20 minutes to eat by the time I drop of my class to lunch. Any quick ideas?
  • relly1008
    relly1008 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    OMG it is hard i'm 43 on August, i'm doing p 90x starting 4th week and i only lost 2 to 3 pounds, not really on a diet but trying to eat less carbs and more protein, not drinking sodas, drinking a lot of water, this week going to the Dr to check my thyroid to be sure that's not the problem.
  • googsgirl
    googsgirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It has been slow going for me too, and for the first 6 weeks or so of MFP I lost nothing. The only thing that worked for me was strength training, reducing workouts ( yes, your body needs rest days!) and eating more. Once I upped my calories to 2000 ( my TDEE is 2089) the scale started moving in the happy direction. Sounds good to me!

Im eating tons of healthy food, some treats and exercising about 4-5 days a week, mainly strength training and walking.

I have found weight loss/ fat loss Much more complicated post 40 but it is happening and I am leaning out now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am the same age as you and there is absolutely no reason that you cannot lose weight with just eating at a reasonable calorie deficit assuming no medical issues.

So I would suggest, as others have, get bloodwork and other tests done at the doctor to ensure no issues re diabetes, thyroid etc.

Your metabolism does slow down as you get older, which just means you need to work a little harder or eat a little less, but not that much. But my advise is to keep it simple. You really do not have to worry about meal timing - just eat at the cadence that suits you being able to hit your calorie target.

And make sure you accurately record everything you eat and drink. I find strength training really helps counteract the slowing metabolism and is also very good for bone density (importance for us women, especially as we get older).
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Losing even five pounds was never easy for me, even when I was a teenager. I saw a nutritionist at 19 and lost six lbs. after she put me on a diet that added up to 500-700 calories per day. That said, the most I ever had to lose was 30 lbs. that I lost several years after baby four. There were some changes in my life that motivated me to get serious about exercise and eating less. Now I'm 50 and I have just a few pounds to lose, but it isn't happening. In my case I don't think it is age or hormonal...if I deep down wanted to lose those lbs. badly enough I would eat fewer calories or do cardio more often. But a few years ago endurance training messed with my body composition, I don't want to go there again, and I'm already only eating 1350 calories, so probably am stuck with my belly fat.
  • ragoobir1
    ragoobir1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same issue. I had Graves Diease and then a thyroid ablation which has left me taking meds for hte rest of my life to replace the hormone that my body does not produce. Yes, losing weight does get harder the older you get BUT it can be done. I really had to have a coming to Jesus moment. I was not doing everything I needed to do. Yes, I run 20- 30 miles a week BUT I my eating was not the best it could be. My diet was ok but not good enough. I also neglected to do weight training which the older we get the more we need. I have to be more diligent now then when I was younger and sans kids. Unfortunalty, the older we get the have to be more watchful of our eating and exercising. Now I am not saying you are not doing that, you could very well be but for me I had to really take a huge step back and look at the stuff I was putting in my body PLUS the quanity of what I was putting in my body. So I have trimed the red meat, trying to get rid of it totally. Added more steamed or raw veggies, cut the sugary fruits, eat cleaner and more organic. You will get there I promise so just enjoy the lessons learned from the journey and the benefits of it. Blessings and Prayers!!!
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and had a total hysterectomy 6 weeks ago. I lost 100 pounds 12 years ago and pretty much put it all back on. It seems to be coming off so much slower now.. I'm not sure if it's because of the hormonal change, medications, just aging, or if I'm doing something different. But, I'm refusing to give up.
    :happy:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    These posts could all be mine more or less, but do you know what really drives me nuts? I work with a women about my age, she is eats junk all the time, last week for dinner at work she ate cheese curls and chocolate and she is so thin and looks pretty good. Waiit I'm not done, another woman lives up the road from me she is again about the same age as me (50ish) and looks incredible, she is very think and has the body of a 20 year old. I would love to ask her what she eats. I have a feeling its not much. I know this prior described woman told me she doesnt eat all day. Funny thing is that is how I used to keep my weight off, more or less eating very little during the day and a small amount for dinner. I've been on this site for quite a while now, read many many posts. I lost 10bs 2 years ago and I let it all come back on and then some. Don't throw me under the bus for this, but I think for some woman that is indeed the secret to staying thin, just not eating much.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel as I am 50 and what used to work for me didn't work anymore so I started gaining a few extra pounds here and there. What I did before was basically I had a bagel with butter for breakfast and a fried chicken ceasar salad or a turkey melt for lunch and then I would totally skip supper, I did this Tuesday through Friday. On Friday evening I would just eat everything in site and I love junk food. So I would basically gain 4 to 5 pounds every weekend but then I would lose it on the following week only to do it all over again. This worked fine for years but then once I hit 50 it stopped working for me. If someone told me eating more throughout the day was the answer I would never have believed them. My daughter convinced me to do this. I have to admit I only started out at 1000 calories a day because I was used to skipping meals (I did not eat my exercise cals back because I do very moderate exercise). I lost weight pretty fast and I was amazed because I could eat whatever I wanted in moderation. I just recently increased my calories to 1100 and lost another 1.2 pounds. What I am doing now is slowly increasing my calorie intake in order to be able to eat more and maintain what I have lost. I know 1100 is still low but I am not starving and this is what seems to be working for me. So in the next week or 2 I will increase my calorie intake another 100 a day and will keep doing this until I get to where I can just maintain my weight at a higher calorie intake. I have also been adding more fruit and I am trying to eat healther, I do not like very many veggies but I love fruit. I also drink around 3 16oz bottles of water a day. Hope this helps
  • bellebrummell
    Options
    bump for later