Are medications making you fat ?

Options

Replies

• saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Your doctor should be aware of at least some of the side effects your medication can cause you and if you do indeed end up with them, be able to avoid prescribing you a similar medication and finding you one either without the side effects or with less risk associated. Most, if not all, mental health drugs contain the side effect of weight gain. It doesn't mean you no longer have the ability to lose said weight, it just takes more effort and cooperation with your prescribing doctor.

When I was put on anti-psychotics a couple years ago the psychiatrist I was seeing was well aware I had cholesterol and weight problems and refused to prescribe me any drug that she knew had a high rate of giving those side effects to its users. If your doctor isn't believing you're experiencing side effects or that the medication is not working, find another doctor. As long as you have a doctor with half a brain worth their degree then the weight gain, if you get it, is not that bad and can be controlled. I'm on probably half a dozen medications that all have risks of weight gain and some even have increased appetite and that's not including my birth control but hey I'm still losing weight.
  • leapylees
    leapylees Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The combination of fluoxetine and the Implanon contraceptive implant made me gain about 35 pounds in three months. My doctor was very unsympathetic and denied that the medications had anything to do with my weight gain, but he referred tne to an NHS dietician who said that both drugs were 'well-known' for causing weight gain. It's only since I've been medication free that I've been able to lose the weight, and I am able to eat a lot more now and still lose weight than when I was on medication.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I take 4 seizure drugs, the best of them have weight gain as part of their warning. That's what I get for having epilepsy. Not for much longer though!!! God, if only I could write a book on how many meds I've been on over the years...
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I was on prednisone for years and it caused me to blow up. I kept gaining weight on it, and couldn't lose it until I was able to be taken off the steroids.

Maybe there's another drug you could try?
  • arojas1227
    arojas1227 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I gained 60 lbs over 2 years on the Depo shot. I heard that it just increases your appetite, but I really don't think I was eating enough to gain wait every single month for two years. The only thing that helped was getting off the shot. I've lost 22 lbs so far off of it.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Drs and paharmacuetical companies don't like to discuss it, but SOME medications certainly cause weight gain. especially certain meds for depression and some birth control pills
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Most people do not request for drug counseling with a pharmacist when starting a new med
    Here are some notorious weight gaining antipsychotics: Clozapine, Olanzapine (in Symbax), Quetiapine (Seroquel)
    Less potential: Risperidone, ziprasidone, aripiprazole (abilify)

Both Clozapine and Olanzapine (zyprexa) put one at more risk for developing diabetes and dyslipidemia (bad cholesterol levels)
    You want to talk drugs and side effects, talk to a pharmacist (I'm still a student but would gladly talk drugs, it makes good practice)
  • katii678
    katii678 Posts: 1
    Options
    True , but since I keep a daily diary I know exactly what I eat and how much. I truly feel that is caused by the medication itself. Do you know if lamictol would be a good substitute ? I took it before but not combined with the Prozac.

I am not giving medical advice, so make sure you talk to your Dr. because I am not qualified to give advice. What I can tell you is Lamictal and olanzapine are in different pharmacological categories, so only your Dr. will know what will and will not work for you because we do not know your diagnosis and both drugs can be used for multiple purposes. I looked Lamictal in my drug guide and there was no weight gain listed as a side effect, but I know that there is the potential for Steven-Johnsons Syndrome- it is rare but a serious consideration to look at, if you look it up on You Tube you will see what it is. I also looked in my drug book and seen that neither drug showed a interaction for each other, but that does not mean that they do not exist:)

I took all 3 - prozac/lamictal/olanzapine and i gained 30lbs. This scared me to they changed the olanzapine to abilify which still caused me to gain weight! But recently ive been put on seroquel and i've found it alot easier to lose the weight. The appetite issues are still there but alot better. HELLO BY THE WAY!
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I was on one of the medications that you are on and it made me gain weight, I went from a size 4 or 6 to a size 12. I couldn't take it anymore (being so chubby!) so my doctor put me on Wellbutrin instead and I lost the weight. I take birth control also but I am back to my normal size.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I had to try my best to now eat my body weight in food daily in the beginning with mirtazipine, but its got better over time as i've adjusted to the drug! X
  • Pirschjaeger
    Pirschjaeger Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was put on abilify and it made me gain 20+ pounds. I went from 96 pounds to 120. It also raised my cholesterol to skyrocket to an embarrassingly high level. Which sucks because I believe it's supposed to be one of the drugs that doesn't cause as much weight gain. I'm also on a low dose. Since the issues are serious enough, I cannot just stop taking it and I was told all similar drugs would cause the same issue.
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid (low functioning thyroid gland) and phase 3 hypoadrenia (insufficient adrenal function). Both of these conditions themselves cause weight gain. I don't think the med for thyroid causes weight gain, but I am on hydrocortisone for adrenal function and that does cause weight gain, as well as water rentention and swelling. And on top of that, I do not have energy for exercising on a consistent basis, so the only way I can lose weight is to cut the calories. One thing I've learned, hormones are a major part of our body functioning properly and when the hormones get out of whack, it usually results in weight gain and a whole host of issues. But, we can't give up -- we just have to keep trying!!
  • KLK1986
    KLK1986 Posts: 89
    Options
    Birth control made me gain 20lbs. And I have Type 1 diabetes, so take insulin.....and insulin has an anabolic effect, making weight loss much more difficult.
  • Irish_Lanie
    Irish_Lanie Posts: 100
    Options
    Im currently on prednisone for almost a month now for my back and cant work out at all. :( Waiting on insurance to approve my MRI etc and in the meantime I have gained 8 pounds. So I rejoined MFP in hopes to at least keep better track of my food, help me be accountable for what Im eating, etc.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I was on Lyrica for my Fibromyalgia and I gained 35 pounds in 3 months, it certainly is possible.
  • TheBlondeGirl
    Options
    I do think medications can make you gain weight! I started taking medication for anxiety and depression in September of 2012 and I have gained at least 30 pounds. I don't eat the best, and I never have. I think overeating and lack of exercise are to blame, but I also blame my pills. I gain a few pounds a week!
  • tlc0815
    tlc0815 Posts: 5
    Options
    I am on the Mirena too and I have had it for about 6 months and have noticed that I gained back most of my pregancy weight and other issues. I have been debating about getting mine removed and getting something else because I already had to start taking iron supplements because the mirena gave me an iron deficiency.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am on depo too and I think that it has contributed to my weight gain. But I am really enjoying not having TOM and not having to worry about getting pregnant. I, too, have been debating using another contraceptive, but the question is which one...
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i gained 80 lbs in 10 months taking a combo of seroquel and effexor. now i take cirprlax and respiradone and i was able to maintain weight and stop gaining once i got on these meds. I started being able to lose when i got to the lowest dose of each that i could handle and remain stable. but the weight loss is different when i am off meds i lose consistantly, on meds erraitically.

switching meds to find something that effected me less was important. also not letting the fog of the meds take over and keeping dilligent with my diary and exercise.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Since I've been on symbyax then abilify I have been gaining weight at an alarming rate. It has also caused my cholesterol , blood sugar and blood pressure to rise. My doctor doesn't believe me when I tell her that I don't overeat. I'd like to hear some of your experiences and if and how you overcame this problem. Btw , my life depends on this medication so stopping it is out of the question.

The pill really made me, if that counts) and I was on an antidepressant that made me too...Off both now, but I really hope it works out for you...Maybe after some time you will "level out"